Thread: CT Open Carry Report

CT Open Carry Report

I'm certainly a newcomer and I only recently started to open carry, but I thought it would be nice to have an OC report thread like some of the other state forums. I realize CT is an OC state, but obviously there are always businesses and locations that can be touchy. In the few weeks I have been OC I have had several very positive experiences and I will continue to OC everywhere I go.

The website Friend or Foe looks like a great tool for everyone to use to note their experiences and gun friendly/unfriendly establishments. There are many reports in CT, but more is always better. I have been adding mine as I can.

I have received official responses from two businesses operating in CT and I will likely be adding more as I have the opportunity.

1. Goodwill CT - "Goodwill follows state regulations regarding licensed firearms."
    2. Big Y supermarkets - "Our store policy is that we allow our customers to carry concealed weapons, in CT stores however - customers are allowed to openly carry according to CT state law"

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    I'm certainly a newcomer and I only recently started to open carry, but I thought it would be nice to have an OC report thread like some of the other state forums. I realize CT is an OC state, but obviously there are always businesses and locations that can be touchy. In the few weeks I have been OC I have had several very positive experiences and I will continue to OC everywhere I go.

The website Friend or Foe looks like a great tool for everyone to use to note their experiences and gun friendly/unfriendly establishments. There are many reports in CT, but more is always better. I have been adding mine as I can.

I have received official responses from two businesses operating in CT and I will likely be adding more as I have the opportunity.

1. Goodwill CT - "Goodwill follows state regulations regarding licensed firearms."
    2. Big Y supermarkets - "Our store policy is that we allow our customers to carry concealed weapons, in CT stores however - customers are allowed to openly carry according to CT state law"
    Never ever ask permission. Just do it and if trespassed, boycott said establishment and post the name and address online here. They will then get no money for running dangerous establishments. At least from sensible people
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Open carry is legal only with a permit outside of your own residence or place of business.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

CT State Polioce Training Bulletin #2013-01

CT State Polioce Training Bulletin #2013-01
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open-Carry-CT0001.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	12829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open-Carry-CT0002.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	12830  
    "It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"
    Member: NRA - Life, CCDL,
    CT, MA, UT, FLA Pistol Permit Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor - Professional Safety Training

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Am I to understand from this document that OC in CT is ARS for investigative detention including mandatory self-identification under threat of arrest?
    Be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    Am I to understand from this document that OC in CT is ARS for investigative detention including mandatory self-identification under threat of arrest?
    By state statue you DO have to show your pistol permit. There is a $70.00 fine for failure to carry your permit. So in turn you do have to produce when asked.
    "It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"
    Member: NRA - Life, CCDL,
    CT, MA, UT, FLA Pistol Permit Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor - Professional Safety Training

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Sad.
    Be active.

To clarify you must show your permit when asked if you are being detained. Openly carrying a firearm or just printing is not RAS, recently shown by the attempt to make it so in law. Thankfully that law did not pass. If it had it likely would have expedited my exit from the Northeast.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    To clarify you must show your permit when asked if you are being detained. Openly carrying a firearm or just printing is not RAS, recently shown by the attempt to make it so in law. Thankfully that law did not pass. If it had it likely would have expedited my exit from the Northeast.
    I'm sure that cops are more thankful that it did not pass .... with the legislature, about passing laws that cause conflict.

I'm perfectly willing to perform my duties ....

Its them that should move, I'm not going anywhere.

So clearly a violation of the 4th amendment not even demorats could stomach moving this through the GA...