• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Open Carry Report

adk_mechetech

I'm certainly a newcomer and I only recently started to open carry, but I thought it would be nice to have an OC report thread like some of the other state forums. I realize CT is an OC state, but obviously there are always businesses and locations that can be touchy. In the few weeks I have been OC I have had several very positive experiences and I will continue to OC everywhere I go.

The website Friend or Foe looks like a great tool for everyone to use to note their experiences and gun friendly/unfriendly establishments. There are many reports in CT, but more is always better. I have been adding mine as I can.

I have received official responses from two businesses operating in CT and I will likely be adding more as I have the opportunity.

1. Goodwill CT - "Goodwill follows state regulations regarding licensed firearms."
2. Big Y supermarkets - "Our store policy is that we allow our customers to carry concealed weapons, in CT stores however - customers are allowed to openly carry according to CT state law"

rightwinglibertarian

I'm certainly a newcomer and I only recently started to open carry, but I thought it would be nice to have an OC report thread like some of the other state forums. I realize CT is an OC state, but obviously there are always businesses and locations that can be touchy. In the few weeks I have been OC I have had several very positive experiences and I will continue to OC everywhere I go.

The website Friend or Foe looks like a great tool for everyone to use to note their experiences and gun friendly/unfriendly establishments. There are many reports in CT, but more is always better. I have been adding mine as I can.

I have received official responses from two businesses operating in CT and I will likely be adding more as I have the opportunity.

1. Goodwill CT - "Goodwill follows state regulations regarding licensed firearms."
2. Big Y supermarkets - "Our store policy is that we allow our customers to carry concealed weapons, in CT stores however - customers are allowed to openly carry according to CT state law"

Never ever ask permission. Just do it and if trespassed, boycott said establishment and post the name and address online here. They will then get no money for running dangerous establishments. At least from sensible people

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open carry is legal only with a permit outside of your own residence or place of business.

dmjs

CT State Polioce Training Bulletin #2013-01

CT State Polioce Training Bulletin #2013-01

Attachments

• Open-Carry-CT0001.jpg
    Open-Carry-CT0001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Open-Carry-CT0002.jpg
    Open-Carry-CT0002.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 313

Liberty-or-Death

Am I to understand from this document that OC in CT is ARS for investigative detention including mandatory self-identification under threat of arrest?

dmjs

Am I to understand from this document that OC in CT is ARS for investigative detention including mandatory self-identification under threat of arrest?

By state statue you DO have to show your pistol permit. There is a $70.00 fine for failure to carry your permit. So in turn you do have to produce when asked.

adk_mechetech

To clarify you must show your permit when asked if you are being detained. Openly carrying a firearm or just printing is not RAS, recently shown by the attempt to make it so in law. Thankfully that law did not pass. If it had it likely would have expedited my exit from the Northeast.

davidmcbeth

Banned
To clarify you must show your permit when asked if you are being detained. Openly carrying a firearm or just printing is not RAS, recently shown by the attempt to make it so in law. Thankfully that law did not pass. If it had it likely would have expedited my exit from the Northeast.

I'm sure that cops are more thankful that it did not pass .... with the legislature, about passing laws that cause conflict.

I'm perfectly willing to perform my duties ....

Its them that should move, I'm not going anywhere.

So clearly a violation of the 4th amendment not even demorats could stomach moving this through the GA...