• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention or no Retention?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
you state i am comparing fruits and veggies...sorry but filing your diversionary post under failed ~ especially since you didn't initially mention: what an average citizen spends on their 'carry'; or mention firearm cost, or physical dimensions of the firearm; or the citizen's inability to appropriately grip their Personal Defence firearm due to hand size or physical impairment, nor do i see anywhere in your initial posting about sticking your firearm in your pocket....yepper you do flat out state: quote ...on my OWB leather holster...unquote; and oh wait...yepper quote...in my blackhawk serpa unquote.

course the contradiction is pleasant..."...grip is stout, making it, for many, difficult to hold and shoot" and then "i have friends with big hands and they don't carry it because of the guns size."

ad nauseam...if your friends wish to sell their worthless, and unused 5.7 hand guns send me a PM and i offer top dollar for their USED firearms. i'll even drive up and pick them up.

ipse
A little snarky??

Last edited:

wizzi01

You are comparing apples with oranges. What you described as your carry gun must be a “FN Five-seven.” The guns the adverage person carrys usually cost no more than $500. A “FN Five-seven” costs $1,200. + and is the size of a 1911. The length of the bullet is .43” longer that a 9mm. This causes the grip to be pretty stout, making it, for many, difficult to hold and shoot.

I have a couple of friends that own a “FN Five-seven” and they have big hands and they don't carry it because of the guns size. Unlike my shield or snubby you ain't sticking a “FN Five-seven” in your pocket.

I'm just say'n.

So carry what you want, and he will carry what he wants. I know it's a new concept and all. What did I miss?

DrakeZ07

I prefer to OC my cap n' ball revolver in a retention-less leather holster. Conveys more of a 'No strap, no delay for when I have to draw down on you' appearance and deterrent. That is if the iron and brass frame and pink pearlescent faux-ivory handles don't act as deterrent enough.

caleb4387

I carry a 32 oz smith revolver...model 13 3 inch barrel...doesn't seem that heavy to me personally. I use a desantis scabbard thumb break but getting. Loon when I have time. A classic revolver requires leather

utbagpiper

Banned
I prefer to OC my cap n' ball revolver in a retention-less leather holster. Conveys more of a 'No strap, no delay for when I have to draw down on you' appearance and deterrent. That is if the iron and brass frame and pink pearlescent faux-ivory handles don't act as deterrent enough.

(emphasis added)

Really?!?!?

Assuming you are awake enough to maintain enough SA to keep someone from just lifting that antique off you before you know what has happened.

For the record, carry what handgun in what holster suites you. But maybe a little less bravado from the guy who has admitted to multiple lapses in SA leading to potential grabs of his firearm.

Charles

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
(emphasis added)

Really?!?!?

Assuming you are awake enough to maintain enough SA to keep someone from just lifting that antique off you before you know what has happened.

For the record, carry what handgun in what holster suites you. But maybe a little less bravado from the guy who has admitted to multiple lapses in SA leading to potential grabs of his firearm.

Charles
Potential for millions of gun snatches, airplane crashes, and tractor trailer flips per day. The first being the least likely.

More negative IMO is having pink pearlescent faux-ivory grips on an iconic black powder - no insult intended.

solus

Potential for millions of gun snatches, airplane crashes, and tractor trailer flips per day. The first being the least likely.

More negative IMO is having pink pearlescent faux-ivory grips on an iconic black powder - no insult intended.

disappointed a pic didn't accompany his post...

ipse

Dario

BOTH, depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing.

Cross draw non-retention around the house, when I'm spending a lot of time in the car or quick runs to the store. Level II strong side when I'm spending a lot of time in crowded areas. The cross draw is a leather magnetic holster from pistolpackaging.com and is ridiculously comfortable. The lvl2 is a Safariland GLS. Both are ez on, ez off and fit all of my needs.

DrakeZ07

(emphasis added)

Really?!?!?

Charles

Maybe a little less bravado from someone who enjoys baiting and posting cryptic personal insults, based loosely on a couple things that happened in the past.

I'm employed by a petroleum-extraction company, and twice a year, I am sent, along with various numbered groups of people to Canada, and a couple different latin-american nations, where I work to maintain, and inspect oil-extraction devices for the company who owns them. Being a gay guy who is used to relying on firearms for self-defense and deterrence, then being put in a place where personal firearms are non-existent, is a complicated and personally 'changing' experience, but hey, the money's good, and it's how and where I met my BF! Anyway, I took some of my sign-on bonus money, and invested it in personal protection and hand-to-hand combat training, from a professional training company here in the states. I can say with 110% guarantee, that my SA has improved a hundred-fold, and I also learned how to defend myself without using a firearm, so now when I'm state-side, I honestly don't OC as much as I used to, but when I do, it's mostly for looks and to support the 2A. But that being said, I feel 100% confident that I can carry a firearm without any retention, or safety-strap, and feel confident enough that I can disarm, and dissuade anyone who even attempts to make a go at my sidearm.

I know I didn't have to go into the personal background there, but I felt it needed to kinda redeem myself for my past SA failures. I personally recommend anyone, who has a few grand laying around, to invest in Close-Quarters Combat/Defense training with any professional company that provides such to civilians. And I consider such knowledge to be on the same platform of Open Carry; You may never, ever, have to remove your firearm from it's holster [except at the range, or to clean it], but in the off-chance that you DO, it's worth every penny and ounce of your life to know what to do, and how to do it, to stop ANY threat that may arise.

[On a more amusing and humorous note, despite being an EMT in the past, I had no idea that a light strike to even the throat, ears, or nose, could severely, or even fatally, end any threat presented to you. I can give a link to the company I used for training, but only in PM and on request, as I don't want to be mod'd for advertising.]

[Also, someone call the burn-ward, cuz UTBagger just got BURNED!]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
-snipped--

[On a more amusing and humorous note, despite being an EMT in the past, I had no idea that a light strike to even the throat, ears, or nose, could severely, or even fatally, end any threat presented to you. I can give a link to the company I used for training, but only in PM and on request, as I don't want to be mod'd for advertising.]
Its not advertising (violation of the rules offering for sale, buy or trade) to name and give contact information about training you have received.

Good recommendations are appreciated.