Thread: perceived carry size verses reality

perceived carry size verses reality

i'm looking to buy a new CCW pistol to replace my sig p250 sc 9mm.
    i think its too chunky.
    looking at taurus 709 or xds. those are only slightly smaller on the width and a fraction less high. but i know that my taurus 740 i owned before the sig just carried better.

? do those fractions of an inch really matter ? or is it in our mind ?

OPEN Carry Dot Org

There are forums devoted to the other kind of carry where you might find someone who could provide you with useful guidance.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    OPEN Carry Dot Org

There are forums devoted to the other kind of carry where you might find someone who could provide you with useful guidance.

stay safe.
    i had a look through the list of forums, couldnt see one that seems to be better, you know which one would get maybe a better response ?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exgabrit View Post
    i'm looking to buy a new CCW pistol to replace my sig p250 sc 9mm.
    i think its too chunky.
    looking at taurus 709 or xds. those are only slightly smaller on the width and a fraction less high. but i know that my taurus 740 i owned before the sig just carried better.

? do those fractions of an inch really matter ? or is it in our mind ?
    Yes inches do matter, but weight can matter more.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...21#post2162121
    ...What I don't like is even though the shield carries four more rounds it also weighs 3 oz. more. I can feel that extra weight even though the footprint of both are about the same. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

My M&P compact weighs 9 oz. more than my snubby. It's like carrying an anchor. I only carry it when I think it's necessary. More rounds is more weight. The way I look at it, is if I can't deal with the situation with five rounds then three to eights rounds more means I shouldn't have been at that place at that time anyway.

There is always a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by exgabrit View Post
    i had a look through the list of forums, couldnt see one that seems to be better, you know which one would get maybe a better response ?
    As I carry concealed only rarely I have no idea which would be better, but am still sure that any forum devoted to concealed carry would be where you would find folks with an interest in the issue you raise.

Not trying to be a smartass but https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ed+carry+forum came up with a few likely prospects. This https://duckduckgo.com/?q=concealed+carry+forum yielded a bigger selection to wade through.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Get a Baby Browning .25 ACP and call it a day. $350 and you're good to go. It'd probably fit in your breast pocket.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

NAA revolvers are not bulky...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    NAA revolvers are not bulky...

In the latest issue of American Rifleman they talk about concealed carry with these new 'optics' and one guy says he carrys 'small of back inside waistband" geeeze, that's like shoving a brick up your escape hatch.

I OC a XDs .45 most days. Many folks standing next to me do not notice it.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I carry a lot of full size handguns.

Comfort depends a lot of having a good belt and good holsters even suspenders for the biggest and heavy ones.

A small hand gun is easier to carry but that is what you have is a small handgun.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    A small hand gun is easier to carry but that is what you have is a small handgun.
    When I wanted something small, I first decided what caliber I would accept, and decided 9mm was OK for me but not .380. Then I looked for the smallest/lightest 9mm that I could shoot well.

The answer for me was a P938 with the fat rubber grip. On my first day at the range, I was shooting better groups with it than with my 1911.