Thread: Ccw

Ccw

I retired two years ago while living in Florida, still have a valid Ccw from Florida but moved to Tennessee to accomodate the wife's professional need to be in Tennessee. Still own a house in Florida, rented out to my daughter. Questions I have are 1. Is my Florida Ccw valid in Tennessee as long as it's active/valid or should I obtain a Tennessee permit? If I can, would it be legal to renew Florida permit even though my drivers license is now Tennessee?
    Can I renew in Florida even though living in Tennessee?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    It all comes down to residency. Are you going to vote in TN? Are you going to get a TN driver license? Are you going to make TN your permanent residents?

If so then you need a TN carry license.

As for the FL license being valid in TN and the requirement to obtain a TN license, like COL said it's all going to come down to the residency law there.

But, yes you can renew your Florida CWFL as long as you desire (you;ll nedd to update the address on file to your current address). And it will still be valid in all the other states that accept non-resident Florida licenses.

You have 6 months from the time you established residency to get your TN HCP (handgun carry permit). Yes, you have to take a class all over again. The driver license centers handle the applications. Check with gun shops in your area for classes or your local police dept. may conduct classes too. Get ready to shell out nearly $200 for permit fee and class. The one odd thing here is finger printing process is done by a private provider but you will get a list of places to go. You will have to call and make an appointment for giving your prints. Open carry is pretty much a non issue here in TN, I do both OC and CC all around my town with never a comment made by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    You have 6 months from the time you established residency to get your TN HCP (handgun carry permit). Yes, you have to take a class all over again. The driver license centers handle the applications. Check with gun shops in your area for classes or your local police dept. may conduct classes too. Get ready to shell out nearly $200 for permit fee and class. The one odd thing here is finger printing process is done by a private provider but you will get a list of places to go. You will have to call and make an appointment for giving your prints. Open carry is pretty much a non issue here in TN, I do both OC and CC all around my town with never a comment made by anyone.
    Thank you all