Thread: Journal Sentinel knots up damning legally armed citizens in wake of Umpqua.

Journal Sentinel knots up damning legally armed citizens in wake of Umpqua.

Wisconsin lawmaker defends comments about shooting at Oregon college

An outspoken Wisconsin lawmaker said Friday that this week's shooting at an Oregon community college happened in a "gun-free zone," leaving out the fact that at least one student at the college was armed at the time of the shooting and sought to protect his fellow students.

Wisconsin Rep. Bob Gannon (R-Slinger) said that he had based his statements on media accounts and the student handbook of Umpqua Community College, which he said discouraged students from carrying firearms.

"The first media reports made it that it was a gun-free zone," Gannon said. "So drop it, that's not the story."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepo...330553221.html

The comments are mostly divided between damning the armed student for being there and for not engaging.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The problem I see is there was only one armed student on campus mutable armed students/staff would have upped the odds that there would have been a defender with in seconds instead of hundreds of yards away.

The decision to stay and defend or go on the attack depends on many things I wouldn't condemn him for staying and defending.

A lone person going on the offensive is very vulnerable so much depends on the information one has.

The farther the distance away the less info one has.

Good bad or other wise it is a personal choice.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Smart guy. Instead of wading out into a situation that he had no intel and probably causing more terror in the hearts of the liberal minded pansies, he holed up and defended his position. Had their been OTHER armed people in the immediate area where the gunman was that didn't shoot, THEN you can question and complain. Not the case as far as I can tell.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    Smart guy. Instead of wading out into a situation that he had no intel and probably causing more terror in the hearts of the liberal minded pansies, he holed up and defended his position.
    I agree.

The anti's always roll their eyes with the snide suggestion that people who carry have fantasies of being heros with a gun, when in reality those that carry hope they never ever are in an actual situation where they have to use force, but are prepared if it happens.

Those that carry are in no way obligated to defend anyone but themselves and those who are with them who can't carry, such as children. That's not a selfish statement, it's just reality

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    The problem I see is there was only one armed student on campus mutable armed students/staff would have upped the odds that there would have been a defender with in seconds instead of hundreds of yards away.

The decision to stay and defend or go on the attack depends on many things I wouldn't condemn him for staying and defending.

A lone person going on the offensive is very vulnerable so much depends on the information one has.

The farther the distance away the less info one has.

Good bad or other wise it is a personal choice.
    it is a personal choice and once made to 'defend your position' i sure as the devil would have kept quiet about that decision.

sorry not condemning squat but must ask...are there no fire extinguishers available or loose chairs available or other strapping individuals (male or female) available to mount an an assault or counterattack or were they also 'defending their position'?

this mentality sounds like the bloke who was involved in the European train event stating from LA...quote: In an interview with ABC News, Skarlatos was asked if he would have taken down the shooter Thursday ~ "I would have tried anyways," he said. unquote http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...002-story.html

really...hero from afar...before ya all start, you're right i wasn't there, but the monday back quarterbacking for all these events is the same... would of, should of, well maybe could of...only one i know was truly successful was the OR shopping mall and that story was ignored, changed, and now sealed, as all are, including this situation!!

so while heaping fame on the bloke who took his personal choice to remain in his defensive position...figure out how you get the savants motivated to act to mount an offensive to defend themselves w/ or w/o firearms.

sorry to stand there when asked a question on what religion i am or watching same and not reacting is ludicrous yet that is what transpired.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain