Thread: Other family members bit by the "Gun Bug"

Other family members bit by the "Gun Bug"

Isn't there a saying that the child inherits/learns from the parent(s)? In my case it seems that's the opposite as my parents are learning from me. Ever since I got my sidearm, my father was constantly a naysayer until recently. He's now waiting to pick up a SCYY CPX-2 CB 9mm (waiting for background check to clear).

My mother, has a 1976 Ruger Security Six Bicentennial .38 Special, but cause of it having a 4" barrel, was looking for a sidearm which she could more easily carry. She decided on starting to carry after seeing me with my sidearm & the crazy events as of late. She decided to go with a Smith & Wesson Model 637 CT .38 Special (if I remember right, I will update after she picks it up after clearing background check, if wrong model).

Has anyone else has this happen to them, where other family members decided they needed to get a sidearm after seeing you carrying?

As a side note, my wife is looking at getting a North American Arms Sidewinder, but I am trying to talk her into a little bit larger gun with more features (trigger guard, higher caliber). Thankfully right now, she is just talking about wanting to get it, & not yet serious.
    Last edited by mnrobitaille; 10-04-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Side note added

Quote Originally Posted by mnrobitaille View Post
    Isn't there a saying that the child inherits/learns from the parent(s)? In my case it seems that's the opposite as my parents are learning from me. Ever since I got my sidearm, my father was constantly a naysayer until recently. He's now waiting to pick up a SCYY CPX-2 CB 9mm (waiting for background check to clear).

My mother, has a 1976 Ruger Security Six Bicentennial .38 Special, but cause of it having a 4" barrel, was looking for a sidearm which she could more easily carry. She decided on starting to carry after seeing me with my sidearm & the crazy events as of late. She decided to go with a Smith & Wesson Model 637 CT .38 Special (if I remember right, I will update after she picks it up after clearing background check, if wrong model).

Has anyone else has this happen to them, where other family members decided they needed to get a sidearm after seeing you carrying?

As a side note, my wife is looking at getting a North American Arms Sidewinder, but I am trying to talk her into a little bit larger gun with more features (trigger guard, higher caliber). Thankfully right now, she is just talking about wanting to get it, & not yet serious.
    glad your family is getting into the scheme of things after living through your experiences and such

as always my best to them...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Good for both your parents.

But what is this "waiting for the background check to clear" stuff? I am always "delayed" due to stuff I could tell you about but I'd have to then kill you, but it rarely takes more than 15 minutes to calm down all the secret squirrel weenies about my name popping up and get to "proceed".

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

But what is this "waiting for the background check to clear" stuff? I am always "delayed" due to stuff I could tell you about but I'd have to then kill you, but it rarely takes more than 15 minutes to calm down all the secret squirrel weenies about my name popping up and get to "proceed".

stay safe.
    Remember I live in Washington State, Bloomberg & company made their mark on the state with I-594 getting passed. As neither of my parents have CPLs (will get that rectified with paperwork & fingerprinting on Wednesday), they have to wait for the NICS background check.

Neither my mother or father have any criminal histories. My mother was a licensed Armed Security Officer down in California (though that was back in the 70s), plus she worked 2010 Decennial Census. My father's a retired Navy cook with 20 years served, plus used to work for the Washington State Department of Corrections as a Cook A/C.

When I decided to get my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9, I had to go through the NICS background check as well, though the processing for me was a bit expedited as back in January/February I had a full fingerprinting & NICS/FBI Background check done to work as a Field Representative for the Census Bureau. It only took me about 5 days to get my sidearm after filling out the forms, & only took about a week to get my CPL.

Dad did his paperwork on Wednesday & mom did her's on Friday, plus on Wednesday dad picked up from one of the local Fred Meyer's, a Remington Model 770 .30-06 rifle where the associate called it in right there to conduct the background check, so hopefully on Wednesday dad can pick his sidearm up. Standard wait time everyone is told is 10 business days for background check to be done.

what???

I have gone through many NICS checks... every time I've bought a gun. Longest one took 20 minutes, most take like 5...

I have had both my brother in laws start ocing after they saw me carrying. One of them had owned his gun a year and never thought of carrying, the other just got his first.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    what???

I have gone through many NICS checks... every time I've bought a gun. Longest one took 20 minutes, most take like 5...
    Again different states & localities do things differently. Here for the NICS the form gets faxed off to the Law Enforcement Agency that handles where our residence is located when it comes to handguns. When my father got his rifle last Wednesday, the associate conducted the NICS check over the phone. You would think both sidearm & long gun sales/transfers would be identical, but they are not.

Again different states & localities do things differently. Here for the NICS the form gets faxed off to the Law Enforcement Agency that handles where our residence is located when it comes to handguns. When my father got his rifle last Wednesday, the associate conducted the NICS check over the phone. You would think both sidearm & long gun sales/transfers would be identical, but they are not.
    Aha!

In the age of computers, with a system designed to be worked via computers, you are stuck with monks using quill pens on parchment, whose product is then handed over to the camel train drivers to be carried off to Never-Never Land where dwarfs with magic crystals gaze to see if the applicant is pure of heart.

And yet I'll bet if I got a speeding ticket there the news would be back to my state's DMV before I had the citation in hand.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Minor update

Well initially I thought that it would be Wednesday when both my mother & father would go in to do the CPL paperwork & fingerprinting. However my mom decided to take advantage of a "Do nothing at home" day & go in to get her paperwork & fingerprinting done.

Thankfully since I'm on good terms with the Sherriff's Department, was able to learn that my dad's ATF Form 4473 was in the midst of being processed for the NICS check. Hopefully by Friday, dad should have his sidearm in hand It also sounds like they had just received mom's ATF Form 4473 & was starting to process it.

But what is this "waiting for the background check to clear" stuff? I am always "delayed"
    I have a cousin with the same name as me. He is a union thug in PA and batf tells me HE is the reason I get a delay every time I buy a weapon, even long guns. I have only "passed" a nics twice in the last twelve years, both times for .44 Ruger Blackhawks. I think they are attempting to encourage me to get bigger pistols. Cool, I can do that.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I have a cousin with the same name as me. He is a union thug in PA and batf tells me HE is the reason I get a delay every time I buy a weapon, even long guns. I have only "passed" a nics twice in the last twelve years, both times for .44 Ruger Blackhawks. I think they are attempting to encourage me to get bigger pistols. Cool, I can do that.
    Or...it could be that the BATF&E have information that you once had, now have, or will have a Glock.

Dangerous weapon those Glocks are.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/arch...?t-207425.html
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    In your case you could enter your social security number or get a special ATF number and most likely bypass the sorting out of which "Bubba" is trying to buy a gun.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Aha!

In the age of computers, with a system designed to be worked via computers, you are stuck with monks using quill pens on parchment, whose product is then handed over to the camel train drivers to be carried off to Never-Never Land where dwarfs with magic crystals gaze to see if the applicant is pure of heart.
    I laughed out loud
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

In your case you could enter your social security number or get a special ATF number and most likely bypass the sorting out of which "Bubba" is trying to buy a gun.

stay safe.
    Or, just get rid of the rights violating background check.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Remember I live in Washington State, Bloomberg & company made their mark on the state with I-594 getting passed. As neither of my parents have CPLs (will get that rectified with paperwork & fingerprinting on Wednesday), they have to wait for the NICS background check.

--snip--
    If bought from a retail store, 594 has nothing to do with BGC's, or wait time. In WA if you have a CPL, you walk the same day with a HG. No CPL, then the local PD is sent your paper work for local BGC. Federal BGC is done on the spot.

594 only affects personal transfers between private parties. Again no affect concerning an FFL sale. (BTW I work in a store selling guns)
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

stay safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    what???

The Following Washington State RCWs can explain a bit better than I can why the wait for the background checks: RCW 9.41.090 Dealer deliveries regulated—Hold on delivery. & RCW 9.41.092 Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    If bought from a retail store, 594 has nothing to do with BGC's, or wait time. In WA if you have a CPL, you walk the same day with a HG. No CPL, then the local PD is sent your paper work for local BGC. Federal BGC is done on the spot.

594 only affects personal transfers between private parties. Again no affect concerning an FFL sale. (BTW I work in a store selling guns)
    I was using 594 as an example, after further investigating I found the RCWs linked above pertaining to the background checks.

Speaking of which, Golddiger14s, is the allowing of CPL holders to get their sidearms instantly something new (after 594's passing) or has it always been that way?

Minor update

Dad picked up his sidearm tonight (only took 6 working days to clear the background check). We are expecting mom will be able to pick up her sidearm next Monday or Tuesday.

Take dad shooting this weekend and get 100 rounds of 9mm free. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....mo-ambassadors

For the tinfoil brigade, there is nothing that says you have to show the full face. Beat the facial recognition trap and have him cover everything but his grin.

And congrats to dad for getting his handgun. After you take him shooting you can introduce him to the joys of trying to find the "PERFECT" holster.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

A nice little surprise

Mom got the call to go pick up her sidearm, so the processing happened faster than we thought.

The 3 of us will be going out to a range later today (Saturday) so mom & dad can fire their sidearms & learn their ins/outs.

Happy weekend to all.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    If your wife wants to stay with a "small form factor" weapon, but you think she should have a larger caliber, how about a derringer in .38 Special, .45 Long Colt, or .410 shotgun? It's only 2 shots but better defense.
    In all actuality my wife should not be allowed to handle firearms, let alone carry one. She has anger issues where she can go off like a tinder box & is not always of sound mind & judgement.

As we were going out to shoot Saturday, mom got a surprise in the mail, her CPL, the day after getting her sidearm

I'm taking dad in today to get the paperwork & fingerprinting done to get his CPL.

For clarification, mom's sidearm is the Smith & Wesson Model 642 CT

In all actuality my wife should not be allowed to handle firearms, let alone carry one. She has anger issues where she can go off like a tinder box & is not always of sound mind & judgement.
    This ^ raises an issue that most people do not like talking about - the need to maintain absolute control of firearms. Things like when you take off your gun in the house it needs to be locked or made inoperable - trigger lock, lock box or the like.

This ^ also raises the issue of family members knowing that someone has problems but does not push to get them help. (PM me if you would like to discuss this - I'm a retired social worker.)

stay safe.

----Allahpundit