Thread: Students warned: Bulging biceps, big guns advance unhealthy masculinity

Students warned: Bulging biceps, big guns advance unhealthy masculinity

"‘Being emotional is manly in my opinion’

The size of G.I. Joe’s biceps and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s guns in the Terminator movies is proof that the dominant form of masculinity is out of control.

That message and similar ones were conveyed recently to students during Vanderbilt University’s “Healthy Masculinities Week,” organized by the Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center.
    [ ... ]
    But this year’s masculinity series was roundly mocked in national news outlets in the week leading up to the observance, including by a panel of four women and one man on the Fox News show Outnumbered.

Host Andrea Tantaros claimed the organizers were trying to “demasculinize men” and turn them into “thumb-sucking little beta males in skinny jeans.” [My emphasis

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24488/

I resisted the riff on Cuninggim Women’s Center, definitely NSFW
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I thought remained calm and cool and staying rational and logical in the face of adverse, sometimes extreme situations, thereby removing emotional response, and therefore likelihood of error in response is one of the staples of being manly...

being emotional? not so much,

being emotional is the path to irrational thought and knee jerk reactions that have led to the crap legislature we have now. of course desiring more to be emotional to get the restrictive rights squashing laws passed easier is also the agenda.

and if you have the willpower to stick to a regiment to gain the desired muscular physique, then I applaud you, it takes a lot of hard work and determination, as well as strict diets, and supplement usage if your going to do it without "cheating"

merely my opinion on the matter.

Back in the 80s I had a liberal gal I worked with tell me I really needed to get in touch with my feminine side (I competed in IPSC/USPSC, Bianchi cup, high power rifle, rode on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy....) I told her IF I had a feminine side..... I WOULD BE TOUCHING IT!!!

AWESOME.

It's ok for women to tell men how they should be.

So it must be ok for men to tell women how to be.

Can you tell that I'm more into symbolic logic, as an area of study, versus pansexual liberation goat loving retributive re-education.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 10-05-2015 at 11:58 PM.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Back in the 80s I had a liberal gal I worked with tell me I really needed to get in touch with my feminine side (I competed in IPSC/USPSC, Bianchi cup, high power rifle, rode on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy....) I told her IF I had a feminine side..... I WOULD BE TOUCHING IT!!!
    ^That one is a knee-slapper.
    /in before it gets moderated

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    AWESOME.

It's ok for women to tell men how they should be.

So it must be ok for men to tell women how to be.

Can you tell that I'm more into symbolic logic, as an area of study, versus pansexual liberation goat loving retributive re-education.
    No no no, you have it all backwards. Only man-hating "feminists" can accuse us evil, dirty men of defining what idealized model women should conform to.

In other news: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is...
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    ^That one is a knee-slapper.
    /in before it gets moderated

No no no, you have it all backwards. Only man-hating "feminists" can accuse us evil, dirty men of defining what idealized model women should conform to.

In other news: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is...
    Nope. Logic prevails.

Tit for tat.

What's good for the goose, good for the gander.

Two rights don't make a wrong.

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

AWESOME. It's ok for women to tell men how they should be. So it must be ok for men to tell women how to be. Can you tell that I'm more into symbolic logic, as an area of study, versus pansexual liberation goat loving retributive re-education.
    LOL The implicit definitions of masculinity by personal attributes is amusing. A psychologist might say that excessive masculinity is a reaction, an abreaction to recognition of personal femininity.

Implication (material) as in A ⇒ B is true only in the case that either A is false or B is true? Or equivalence as in A ⇔ B is true only if both A and B are false, or both A and B are true?

I believe that a stable competent personality is one of balanced contradictions, well symbolized by yin yang.

Host Andrea Tantaros claimed the organizers were trying to “demasculinize men” and turn them into “thumb-sucking little beta males in skinny jeans.”

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/24488/
    A dude telling dudes how not to be masculine...hmm.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Would they have the butches turn to their fem side, and the pitchers become catchers - and vice-a-versa?

The “Male Suicide Epidemic,” Discover blog source of warning?

"The mass murder and suicide in a college in Oregon last week brought out the following claim by a professional troll: ... "

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ne...cide-epidemic/

I wonder, is it a troll that is a professional something else, or is there now a troll profession? It beggars professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "The mass murder and suicide in a college in Oregon last week brought out the following claim by a professional troll: ... "

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ne...cide-epidemic/

I wonder, is it a troll that is a professional something else, or is there now a troll profession? It beggars professional.
    lamestream UK style media which has cared for and tolerated this individual raising them to star status...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    LOL The implicit definitions of masculinity by personal attributes is amusing. A psychologist might say that excessive masculinity is a reaction, an abreaction to recognition of personal femininity.

Implication (material) as in A ⇒ B is true only in the case that either A is false or B is true? Or equivalence as in A ⇔ B is true only if both A and B are false, or both A and B are true?

I believe that a stable competent personality is one of balanced contradictions, well symbolized by yin yang.
    Oh idk about that shtuff.

One of the above is a man. So tell me, how different are women from men, fundamentally.

Here it is, the reason! Putin signs law reviving Stalin’s Soviet-era fitness standard

"The Moscow Times reported Tuesday that Mr. Putin has signed a new law to revive physical training standards that were once mandatory in the Soviet Union, promising rewards to those who pass the fitness tests.

The training regimen program, known as “Ready for Labor and Defense,” or GTO in its Russian acronym, is based on training and fitness exercises developed during Soviet times to standardize physical development in areas such as running, gymnastics, discus and javelin, swimming, skiing and biking, as well as shooting and trekking skills."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...itness-standa/

I will keep my eye out for the standards. I'm particularly interested in the swimming, skiing, biking, shooting and trekking skills. I swam for George Haines, skied NASTAR, still bicycle, still shoot, walked the JMT and climbed Yosemite and Mt. Whitney. The age grading will be interesting.

One of the above is a man. So tell me, how different are women from men, fundamentally.

... One of the above is a man. So tell me, how different are women from men, fundamentally.
    http://content.time.com/time/covers/...920120,00.html

I know a woman when I see one...though, being married, I only see one woman these days...or else.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

I know a woman when I see one...though, being married, I only see one woman these days...or else.
    Sounds like A. Justice Potter Stewart on obscenity, "I know it when I see it."

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

I mistook a woman for a man and called her sir. Boy did she light me up and chew me out. I was just being a good cashier at the time.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)