• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Watermelon Festival

Bahabandit

I know this is a little bit late, but I haven't been on here in a while and needed to post this. Went to the Winterville Watermelon festival and OC'd. As with every festival, the coppers were swarming around "protecting and serving." I was walking down the sidewalk with my wife and son and a copper on a side by side went by and saw me. As he went by I noticed him necking around looking at me. I had no doubt he saw me with my full sized FNX-45 along with my double mag pouch. I figured that he would have swung around and said something but he kept going. We walked another about 100 yards and I notice him rumbling back with another copper that looked like he was important. They rode past me and he pulled a yooee (u-turn) and pulled into the parking spot that was right beside me. I stopped and looked at him for a second and both of them exited the side by side. They asked if they could speak with me and I abliged. They proceeded to talk to me about people asking if they could conceal carry but not open carry. The chief with his Colonel Birds on his collar also proceeded to tell me that he would prefer if I could cover my pistol up. I looked down and told him that there would be no point in covering up my pistol as it would bulge out of my shirt and people would notice anyways. He then told me that I could cause more trouble than it was worth if people complained because of my pistol. Now before this whole conversation commenced I noticed that he had a USMC pin below his name tag. Before I got it out that I appreciated his concern and was going to keep walking anyways, I told him that I was an active duty Marine and was here to enjoy myself and protect my family at the same time and if someone got offended that they would get over it. Overall it was not a rude confrontation just hate being lectured that I could cause trouble. All in all no one gave a rodents rear end that I was there OC'ing.

F350

Guess that's the difference between the east and the west (not Kalifonia); the biggest problem I have out here is people (including LEO) thanking me for carrying and shaking hands. I could fill a full page of encounters of people thanking me.

Rusty Young Man

I know this is a little bit late, but I haven't been on here in a while and needed to post this. Went to the Winterville Watermelon festival and OC'd. As with every festival, the coppers were swarming around "protecting and serving." I was walking down the sidewalk with my wife and son and a copper on a side by side went by and saw me. As he went by I noticed him necking around looking at me. I had no doubt he saw me with my full sized FNX-45 along with my double mag pouch. I figured that he would have swung around and said something but he kept going. We walked another about 100 yards and I notice him rumbling back with another copper that looked like he was important. They rode past me and he pulled a yooee (u-turn) and pulled into the parking spot that was right beside me. I stopped and looked at him for a second and both of them exited the side by side. They asked if they could speak with me and I abliged. They proceeded to talk to me about people asking if they could conceal carry but not open carry. The chief with his Colonel Birds on his collar also proceeded to tell me that he would prefer if I could cover my pistol up. I looked down and told him that there would be no point in covering up my pistol as it would bulge out of my shirt and people would notice anyways. He then told me that I could cause more trouble than it was worth if people complained because of my pistol. Now before this whole conversation commenced I noticed that he had a USMC pin below his name tag. Before I got it out that I appreciated his concern and was going to keep walking anyways, I told him that I was an active duty Marine and was here to enjoy myself and protect my family at the same time and if someone got offended that they would get over it. Overall it was not a rude confrontation just hate being lectured that I could cause trouble. All in all no one gave a rodents rear end that I was there OC'ing.

Well done, and well said.:) Seems like you encountered some Opinion Enforcement Officers.

As an aside, what kind of holster do you carry the FNX-45 in?

Resto Guy

Good for you!

The long time mayor of Winterville is a retired Greenville cop. Since he took office, that little town has been taken over by way too many cops in white Chargers with nothing to do. A major crime in Winterville is a car going down Cooper Street running 38 m.p.h. with a bad tail light bulb. If it wasn't for speeding tickets the town wouldn't have any court revenue.
Did they say "you ain't from around here, are you?"