Thread: She was NOT charged with brandishing

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

She was NOT charged with brandishing

"While responding to the scene, officers found a 73-year-old woman armed with a handgun in the store. Witnesses say she pulled out the gun and tried to find the robbery suspect. Police detained the woman, determined she was not involved in the robbery and released her."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/30187932/...n-chesterfield

I happened to be on the otherside of Chippenham as they were loading the BG's vehicle on the wrecker - traffic was crawling both ways.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    That there were more people of her character who are willing to take after evil, we might be much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    That there were more people of her character who are willing to take after evil, we might be much better off.
    I understand your point and applaud the lady for carrying...........but seriously question removing her sidearm from the holster and going on a hunt for the BG.

Defense of self and loved ones - yes. Defense of an obviously innocent - maybe depending on many factors.

But roaming looking for a BG (description?) and doing what? Making a citizen's arrest while employing the threat of lethal force to accomplish that is fraught with problems. This was likely an instance of being a good witness would have been a better choice. ymmv
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I understand your point and applaud the lady for carrying...........but seriously question removing her sidearm from the holster and going on a hunt for the BG.

Defense of self and loved ones - yes. Defense of an obviously innocent - maybe depending on many factors.

But roaming looking for a BG (description?) and doing what? Making a citizen's arrest while employing the threat of lethal force to accomplish that is fraught with problems. This was likely an instance of being a good witness would have been a better choice. ymmv
    +1000
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

What if you were roaming about looking for a shooter at an Oregon school, for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Neplusultra View Post
    What if you were roaming about looking for a shooter at an Oregon school, for instance?
    outstanding correlation...

for instance

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Given those circumstances, I would consider that an act of self defense, however you'd still stand a chance of being shot on sight.
    I agree with grape, the lady was stretching her luck.

Is this a rhetorical question?

In case it isn't...

Answer: militarized police kill you.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Founder's Club Member

I did not intend to communicate that I thought the whole of her actions were wise, or even legal for that matter. You did pick up on my big thought, though, that I appreciate her heart and willingness to stop evil. That was all I intended, even though she is not the best example.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    I did not intend to communicate that I thought the whole of her actions were wise, or even legal for that matter. You did pick up on my big thought, though, that I appreciate her heart and willingness to stop evil. That was all I intended, even though she is not the best example.
    No problem there - got your message.

Was just thinking what would happen if I were so foolish as to try that. Would you come visit me at the Graybar Inn?

Founder's Club Member
    I just might.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    No problem there - got your message.

Was just thinking what would happen if I were so foolish as to try that. Would you come visit me at the Graybar Inn?
    I'll bring a cake with a file.

I.......applaud the lady for carrying...........but seriously question removing her sidearm from the holster and going on a hunt for the BG.

a good witness would have been a better choice. ymmv
    Being a "little old lady" probably helped. As for roaming around a school, with a handgun displayed, during an "active shooter" situation, could be considered "suicide by cop". Besides being just a bad decision. All of us would look like "BGs"
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

humm wonder if this individual is related to the branishing grandma...

http://www.newser.com/story/214109/b...oplifters.html

things that make you go....hummmmm

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

But she's a sheepdogess!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit