• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

She was NOT charged with brandishing

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"While responding to the scene, officers found a 73-year-old woman armed with a handgun in the store. Witnesses say she pulled out the gun and tried to find the robbery suspect. Police detained the woman, determined she was not involved in the robbery and released her."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/30187932/suspect-in-custody-after-robbery-pursuit-in-chesterfield

I happened to be on the otherside of Chippenham as they were loading the BG's vehicle on the wrecker - traffic was crawling both ways.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That there were more people of her character who are willing to take after evil, we might be much better off.
I understand your point and applaud the lady for carrying...........but seriously question removing her sidearm from the holster and going on a hunt for the BG.

Defense of self and loved ones - yes. Defense of an obviously innocent - maybe depending on many factors.

But roaming looking for a BG (description?) and doing what? Making a citizen's arrest while employing the threat of lethal force to accomplish that is fraught with problems. This was likely an instance of being a good witness would have been a better choice. ymmv

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I understand your point and applaud the lady for carrying...........but seriously question removing her sidearm from the holster and going on a hunt for the BG.

Defense of self and loved ones - yes. Defense of an obviously innocent - maybe depending on many factors.

But roaming looking for a BG (description?) and doing what? Making a citizen's arrest while employing the threat of lethal force to accomplish that is fraught with problems. This was likely an instance of being a good witness would have been a better choice. ymmv

+1000

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What if you were roaming about looking for a shooter at an Oregon school, for instance?

Given those circumstances, I would consider that an act of self defense, however you'd still stand a chance of being shot on sight.
I agree with grape, the lady was stretching her luck.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

I did not intend to communicate that I thought the whole of her actions were wise, or even legal for that matter. You did pick up on my big thought, though, that I appreciate her heart and willingness to stop evil. That was all I intended, even though she is not the best example.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I did not intend to communicate that I thought the whole of her actions were wise, or even legal for that matter. You did pick up on my big thought, though, that I appreciate her heart and willingness to stop evil. That was all I intended, even though she is not the best example.
No problem there - got your message.

Was just thinking what would happen if I were so foolish as to try that. Would you come visit me at the Graybar Inn? :p

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I.......applaud the lady for carrying...........but seriously question removing her sidearm from the holster and going on a hunt for the BG.

a good witness would have been a better choice. ymmv

What if you were roaming about looking for a shooter at an Oregon school, for instance?

Being a "little old lady" probably helped. As for roaming around a school, with a handgun displayed, during an "active shooter" situation, could be considered "suicide by cop". Besides being just a bad decision. All of us would look like "BGs"