• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry rules

Jason sprague

Im new to all of this i live in michigan people tell i can open carry as long as the gun can be seen from 3 sides is this true if so is the only place you can carry ison your side or hip if some one can help answer these questions it would be awesome thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Im new to all of this i live in michigan people tell i can open carry as long as the gun can be seen from 3 sides is this true if so is the only place you can carry ison your side or hip if some one can help answer these questions it would be awesome thanks
Open carry is legal in Michigan because there is no statute/law saying that it is illegal and there is no definition of open carry. Only a definition of concealed carry. Therefore, IMO there is no requirement that an OCd handgun be visible from three sides - think this is just an ol' wives tale. It is how one carries, not where the observer stands and whether of not he in fact can or does see it that counts.

Note that to OC in a vehicle, it is required that you have a permit to CC.

http://https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Also read previous thread on OC in Michigan:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?113518-Open-Carry-without-a-CPL

Locals will be here shortly to clarify as required.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
People v. Johnnie W. Jones, 162 NW 2d 847 - Mich: Court of Appeals 1968
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...79&q=open+carry+discernible&hl=en&as_sdt=4,23
The evident statutory purpose is reflected in the general rule applied in other jurisdictions that absolute invisibility is not indispensable to concealment of a weapon on or about the person of a defendant, and that a weapon is concealed when it is not discernible by the ordinary observation of persons coming in contact with the person carrying it, casually observing him, as people do in the ordinary and usual associations of life. 94 CJS, Weapons, § 8e, p 494; 56 Am Jur, Weapons and Firearms, § 10, pp 996-998; Annotation: 43 ALR2d 492, 510-15. See, also, Driggers v. State (1899), 123 Ala 46 (26 So 512); Mularkey v. State (1930), 201 Wis 429 (230 NW 76); People v. Eustice, et al. (1939), 371 Ill 159 (20 NE2d 83); State v. Rabatin (1953), 25 NJ Super 24 (95 A2d 431); Prince v. Commonwealth (Ky, 1955) (277 SW2d 470); Kennedy v. State (1966), 171 Neb 160 (105 NW2d 710); Shipley v. State (1966), 243 Md 262 (220 A2d 585); State v. Tate (Mo, 1967) (416 SW2d 103).
The issue of concealment depends upon the particular circumstances present in each case and whether the weapon was concealed from ordinary observation is a question for the trier of fact to determine. Commonwealth v. Butler (1959), 189 Pa Super 399 (150 A2d 172); Mularkey v. State, supra; State v. Mangum (1924), 187 NC 477 (121 SE 765). The arresting officer's testimony was competent evidence to support a finding by the trier of fact that the defendant carried a concealed weapon on his person.

This is a good starting point.

Michigander

Go to michigancarries.org and download and read the free book I wrote just for folks like you. If you have any questions afterwards, please ask them. :)

FreeInAZ

Go to michigancarries.org and download and read the free book I wrote just for folks like you. If you have any questions afterwards, please ask them. :)

THAT!

The book was a huge aid to me! Written by a brilliant man, well versed in MI gun laws.

(No I didn't write it) :p