Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Open-carry bill passes Florida House subcommittee by 8-4 vote in 30 minutes flat!

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,742

    Open-carry bill passes Florida House subcommittee by 8-4 vote in 30 minutes flat!

    http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-bu...mittee/2248573

    SNIP

    Gun owners in Florida with concealed-carry permits are one step closer to getting the right to openly carry those weapons in public, under legislation that cleared a House subcommittee today by a 8-4 vote.

    Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach, who introduced HB 163, said it “restores and vindicates” Second Amendment rights and promotes public safety. But critics of the proposal said it should, at a minimum, include better training requirements and also better protect property owner’s rights if they don't want weapons in their homes or businesses.

    Those who are in total opposition said an open-carry law in Florida would instill fear, rather than calm.

    . . .

    Florida is one of only five states and the District of Columbia, which prohibit openly carrying firearms and other restricted weapons.

    . . .
    Don Gaetz said Florida used to be an open-carry state until the late 1980s and better mental health services should be the solution to combat gun violence.

    “It is never the case that the answer to an abuse of liberty is to restrict liberty; the answer is to deal with the abuse in a targeted fashion,” Don Gaetz said.

    But some House Democrats said the bill should include “sensible measures” to try to keep firearms out of the hands of those with mental health problems, and it also should include stricter training requirements for permit-holders.

    . . .

    Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey, speaking for himself, praised [open carry] as a helpful tool in crime prevention.

    “This comes down to giving our citizens the immediate ability to protect themselves,” he said.

    The Florida Chamber said it supports the bill but wants more assurances that private property rights will be protected. Gun-rights advocates said the bill doesn't prohibit private property owners from banning guns on their land as they're able to do now.

    "This doesn’t change who carries or where they carry, only how they carry," said Eric Friday, a lobbyist for the gun-rights group Florida Carry.
    . . .

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-bu...mittee/2248573

    SNIP

    Gun owners in Florida with concealed-carry permits are one step closer to getting the right to openly carry those weapons in public, under legislation that cleared a House subcommittee today by a 8-4 vote.

    Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach, who introduced HB 163, said it “restores and vindicates” Second Amendment rights and promotes public safety. But critics of the proposal said it should, at a minimum, include better training requirements and also better protect property owner’s rights if they don't want weapons in their homes or businesses.

    Those who are in total opposition said an open-carry law in Florida would instill fear, rather than calm.

    . . .

    Florida is one of only five states and the District of Columbia, which prohibit openly carrying firearms and other restricted weapons.

    . . .
    Don Gaetz said Florida used to be an open-carry state until the late 1980s and better mental health services should be the solution to combat gun violence.

    “It is never the case that the answer to an abuse of liberty is to restrict liberty; the answer is to deal with the abuse in a targeted fashion,” Don Gaetz said.

    But some House Democrats said the bill should include “sensible measures” to try to keep firearms out of the hands of those with mental health problems, and it also should include stricter training requirements for permit-holders.

    . . .

    Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey, speaking for himself, praised [open carry] as a helpful tool in crime prevention.

    “This comes down to giving our citizens the immediate ability to protect themselves,” he said.

    The Florida Chamber said it supports the bill but wants more assurances that private property rights will be protected. Gun-rights advocates said the bill doesn't prohibit private property owners from banning guns on their land as they're able to do now.

    "This doesn’t change who carries or where they carry, only how they carry," said Eric Friday, a lobbyist for the gun-rights group Florida Carry.
    . . .
    It does enact and outright ban on long-gun carry tho. Don't make me bust out my M85s...

    Nice to see some Sheriffs coming out against the previous BS and lies from the FSA thugs.

    It was mentioned that "some legislators" are demanding retention training/holsters. Which ones. I want names.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    It does enact and outright ban on long-gun carry tho. Don't make me bust out my M85s...

    Nice to see some Sheriffs coming out against the previous BS and lies from the FSA thugs.

    It was mentioned that "some legislators" are demanding retention training/holsters. Which ones. I want names.
    I think this bill is intended to cut off Norman v. State, which has a possibility of overturning the ban entirely. And this bill does nothing for those who oppose licensure of rights, only those who buy permissions.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    43

    Miguel Diaz de la Portilla and Andy Gardiner Opposing Open Carry and Campus Carry

    http://pursuitofpatriotism.blogspot....pus-carry.html

    My new article is an open letter to them.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by J-hoodoo View Post
    I think this bill is intended to cut off Norman v. State, which has a possibility of overturning the ban entirely. And this bill does nothing for those who oppose licensure of rights, only those who buy permissions.
    It would be very interesting to see what the Supremes would do if this bill were to pass and get signed into law prior to their ruling in Norman.

    If their ruling was going to invalidate 790.053 as unconstitutional, they might have to consider invalidating this one as well, depending on why they thought the original was unconstitutional. The argument would have to come down to licensing as opposed to an, effectively, outright ban. The question would become "is licensing a core right constitutional" constitutional.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •