• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Class

exelci

Hello all,

I'm finally ready to get my ccw and wanted to ask all of you knowledgeable people if you have any recommendations as in to where or by who i should get my class. As far as i understand it needs to be taught by a certified NRA instructor and thats it (not intrested in sitting for 8 hours) I am an experienced shooter and gun enthusiast (not new to guns) i would love It if i didnt have to spend my money on a business for my CCW class.. Any certified NRA instructors here that is willing to do the job? Its $60.00 at marksman.. With paperwork included. If im just better of taking the 8 hour class i will, like i said i just wanted to check with you all before taking the class. I have also read that i can take an advanced pistol class that would certify me for the ccw??? I would rather pay $80-$100 for an advanced pistol class that would certify me for the ccw and get some extra training.. Ideas?? Comments ??

Thank you.

Please excuse the typos my iphone is old. Im in Tucson.

Last edited:

Nang pa

Hello all,

I'm finally ready to get my ccw and wanted to ask all of you knowledgeable people if you have any recommendations as in to where or by who i should get my class. As far as i understand it needs to be taught by a certified NRA instructor and thats it (not intrested in sitting for 8 hours) I am an experienced shooter and gun enthusiast (not new to guns) i would love It if i didnt have to spend my money on a business for my CCW class.. Any certified NRA instructors here that is willing to do the job? Its $60.00 at marksman.. With paperwork included. If im just better of taking the 8 hour class i will, like i said i just wanted to check with you all before taking the class. I have also read that i can take an advanced pistol class that would certify me for the ccw??? I would rather pay $80-$100 for an advanced pistol class that would certify me for the ccw and get some extra training.. Ideas?? Comments ??

Thank you.

I took mine through LegalHeat, though I must advise it's a lecture-only class with no hands on, so you would benefit from an additional course.

solus

welcome to the open carry forum where your first post is to ask where to get your conceal carry training...

you know you could save the money and open carry for your personal protection.

ipse

exelci

I took mine through LegalHeat, though I must advise it's a lecture-only class with no hands on, so you would benefit from an additional course.

I will look it to it. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

azcdlfred

If you served in the military and were honorably discharged, your DD-214 serves as qualification for a CCW permit.

As far as government mandates, too often "minimal requirements = maximum achieved."

Fred

exelci

welcome to the open carry forum where your first post is to ask where to get your conceal carry training...

you know you could save the money and open carry for your personal protection.

ipse

First of all, this is my #101 post on this site. Second, who are you to judge peoples comments here? I started open carrying thanks to all the information i found on this site and thanks to all the people that replied to my questions with out criticizing me. I started open carrying a usp45c in a blackhawk carbon fiber finish holster, that usp now has 5k+ rounds through it which caused no issues to the pistole except untill now that im having magazine feeding problems that usually happen after precisely 5k just need to change the mag internals and problem solved. the main reason for my comment was to add my 5cents to the www.forum.opencarry.org site since like i said I appreciate everything that i learned from it.

Last edited:

exelci

A fool and his money are soon parted, then after that follow the money.

I am no fool sir. CCW has its very own distinctive features and benefits. I wont lower myself to your level of were you call people you dont know a "fool" and will only say "Thank you" for your reply.

exelci

If you served in the military and were honorably discharged, your DD-214 serves as qualification for a CCW permit.

As far as government mandates, too often "minimal requirements = maximum achieved."

Fred

Thank you for your reply but no military background for me.. I will just do it myself online and take advantage of that new way to apply for it.

solus

Thank you for your reply but no military background for me.. I will just do it myself online and take advantage of that new way to apply for it.

so if you knew you were going to do it on line all along...never mind...

ipse

qednick

I am no fool sir. CCW has its very own distinctive features and benefits. I wont lower myself to your level of were you call people you dont know a "fool" and will only say "Thank you" for your reply.

If I didn't need the license I would still voluntarily pay for one exactly for those reasons/benefits. There was absolutely nothing wrong with you asking what you did. The whole point of this forum is to encourage and help people...not drive newer members away. I thank you for carrying.

exelci

If I didn't need the license I would still voluntarily pay for one exactly for those reasons/benefits. There was absolutely nothing wrong with you asking what you did. The whole point of this forum is to encourage and help people...not drive newer members away. I thank you for carrying.

Thank you sir.

Rusty Young Man

Hello all,
SNIP...any certified NRA instructors here that is willing to do the job? Its $60.00 at marksman.. With paperwork included. If im just better of taking the 8 hour class i will, like i said i just wanted to check with you all before taking the class. I have also read that i can take an advanced pistol class that would certify me for the ccw??? I would rather pay $80-$100 for an advanced pistol class that would certify me for the ccw and get some extra training.. Ideas?? Comments ??

Thank you.

I believe Charles Heller of the AZCDL teaches a CCW certification course. Seems like a stand up guy (met and spoke to him a few times now), and I do believe he is local to the Tucson area. You are likely to see him if you're going to the AZCDL luncheon this Saturday.;)

Just had to put in a plug for the AZCDL and the annual meeting.:p

azcdlfred

Just had to put in a plug for the AZCDL and the annual meeting.:p
Thanks!

We will have a packed house tomorrow. Tickets will NOT be sold at the door.

Get there early. Sign-in starts at 10:30 AM. There is a U of A game that starts at 1:00 PM and parking is going to be tight. The hotel and parking garage are next to the campus.

Not an AzCDL member? Why not?

Fred

Last edited:

The Trickster

I originally obtained mine back in 2009 when it was still a legal requirement for CC. Back when I did it, the 8-hour class was offered at Caswell's Shooting Range in Mesa. Most of the class was talking and BS, followed by a quick 10-round "shooting drill" whereby we shot a stationary target, followed by a written exam that even Charlie Sheen could pass while on a dozen different drugs. As you have already seen, there are mixed opinions about getting a CC permission slip these days what with the fact it is not a requirement to CC. I renewed mine back in 2014 for the sake of out-of-state reciprocity as it has come in handy on several occasions for that particular reason.

mzbk2l

I originally obtained mine back in 2009 when it was still a legal requirement for CC. Back when I did it, the 8-hour class was offered at Caswell's Shooting Range in Mesa. Most of the class was talking and BS, followed by a quick 10-round "shooting drill" whereby we shot a stationary target, followed by a written exam that even Charlie Sheen could pass while on a dozen different drugs. As you have already seen, there are mixed opinions about getting a CC permission slip these days what with the fact it is not a requirement to CC. I renewed mine back in 2014 for the sake of out-of-state reciprocity as it has come in handy on several occasions for that particular reason.
Agree with your observations on reciprocity. I've often considered getting one for exactly that reason, as I frequently travel by car to other states; it would be nice to be able to carry there, as well.

azcdlfred

Agree with your observations on reciprocity. I've often considered getting one for exactly that reason, as I frequently travel by car to other states; it would be nice to be able to carry there, as well.
Arizona recognizes all permits from all states and most states recognize Arizona permits - including Nevada.

Fred