Thread: Brady Campaign confounded. Zero correlation of homicides to gun law.

Brady Campaign confounded. Zero correlation of homicides to gun law.

Zero correlation between state homicide rate and state gun laws By Eugene Volokh October 6 at 12:32 PM

There’s been much talk recently — including from President Obama — about there being a substantial correlation between state-level gun death rates and state gun laws. Now correlation obviously doesn’t equal causation; there may be lots of other factors that are the true causes of both of the things that are being measured. But if we do look for now at correlation, it seems to me that the key question should focus on state total homicide rates, or perhaps (for reasons I describe below) total intentional homicide plus accidental gun death rates. And it turns out that there is essentially zero correlation between these numbers and state gun laws.
    [ ... ]
    The correlation between the homicide rate and Brady score in all 51 jurisdictions is +.032 (on a scale of -1 to +1), which means that states with more gun restrictions on average have very slightly higher homicide rates, though the tendency is so small as to be essentially zero. (If you omit the fatal gun accident rates, then the correlation would be +.065, which would make the more gun-restricting states look slightly worse; but again, the correlation would be small enough to be essentially zero, given all the other possible sources of variation.) ... You can also run the correlation yourself on my Excel spreadsheet.
    http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/stategundata.xlsx
    [ ... ][my emphasis]"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tate-gun-laws/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Breaking news - water is wet. Watch our exclusive report at 11 PM.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    That's essential it in a nutshell. The issue is, the anti-gunners don't care about facts or figures. They don't care about reality. All they care about is that they are scared when they see a boomstick, so no one should have them around.

Quote Originally Posted by omahaoutdoors View Post
    That's essential it in a nutshell. The issue is, the anti-gunners don't care about facts or figures. They don't care about reality. All they care about is that they are scared when they see a boomstick, so no one should have them around.
    It's the black broomsticks with pistol grips that are really scary. More than 10 bristles is unthinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by omahaoutdoors View Post
    [ ... ] All they care about is that they are scared when they see a boomstick, so no one should have them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    It's the black broomsticks with pistol grips that are really scary. More than 10 bristles is unthinkable.
    LOL Halloween witches on the mind?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-08-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

lol not me. I meant boomstick, not broomstick. Like...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	this-is-my-boomstick-demotivational-poster-1242598575.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	12799

I figure most of them don't even know what to call them, so they go with the simplest term.

After the Oregon Roseburg shooting, I took about 30 minutes to Google the data and put it in Excel and make a graph.
    FBI Crime Statistics 2014 (dark red) vs Brady State Score 2014 (blue).
    Sorted Brady's score high gun control score on the left to low gun control on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	State Brady Score vs Murder Rate.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	12800

Note, no correlation / causation of gun control laws vs murder that I can see.
    You would think journalists could spend just a little time looking at the data.
    Last edited by Lord Sega; 10-10-2015 at 01:56 AM.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    Water can be a fatal chemical, we should ban it...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned

I don't care about gun stats - they are IRRELEVANT

When I hear commies say "look at this data" I just tell them "no thanks, facts and data do not change my natural right to KBA any freaking arm I want. If you think it does, come and try to take any of my guns away from me and see how that turns out for you...not well."

Odd, they go away and start yapping their useless "data" at someone else.

No one has ever tried to take away any of my guns, not in earnest anyways...I have had FBI agents hint that they might or were thinking about it..I suggested that they try immediately then. They changed their mind. I guess that they wanted to go home that day.

You cannot change these commie's minds .... why argue with total idiots?

I'm not a teacher...they'll learn the hard way.