Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digtal recorder and Dash Cams

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Digtal recorder and Dash Cams

Have had numerous requests to create a stickie on digital recorders (personal carry use) and dash cams.

The purpose of this thread is not to argue the merits of using such as individual state laws will prevail, but rather to seek out the best vs best value in each category for the benefit of the other user/members here.

A short mention of problems pertaining to one state or another is acceptable, but the focus should stay on what you like and why.

Not as a quide, but just for a starting point of reference is this old thread.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...hlight=dashcam
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-07-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    The link is not found.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    The link is not found.
    Works better now. Fixed it above also.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?112090-Dash-Windshield-Mounted-Video-Cameras-and-State-Laws&highlight=dashcam
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I presently carry a Sony ICD PX333 4GB Digital Flash Voice Recorder OEM VG ICD-PX333 whenever I leave the house. It stays on until I return home.

It does every thing I could want and is available on-line for under $30.00 including free shipping.

This from Gold Star - the same people I bought my dash cams from.
    http://tinyurl.com/o7dhqsm

Dash cams - recently purchsed two unit for about $16.00 each, again with free shipping from Gold Star
    Units are described as: HD DVR with 2.5" TFT LCD Screen

These all come from a USA supplier, fully warranted, day/night recording, and down loadable. You will want to add a SD/MMC card.

You could pay a lot more, but why?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-07-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: fixed

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    I regret buying this generic dashcam for many reasons.
    Luckily it only cost me 6 dollars after the gift card I wasted on this.
    You'd do well to avoid this model.

Advertised Features: (my comments are parenthetical)
    • 170 degree lens & 1920 x 1080P 30fps FHD (The video file format is .AVI but it uses a non-standard encoding (MJPG - Motion Jpg) so it will not play on most devices. If you have VLC media player, it will play. Picture quality is decent but it is only 1280x720, not Full HD)
    • Support HDMI video transmission (no, there is no HDMI out option)
    • Automatic recording when car start (This feature works if your power port is only on when the car is started.)
    • Motion Detection Automatic Recording (Could not test this feature.)
    • High Resolution Camera with Super Night Vision (Could not notice a difference at all.)

Advertised Specifications: (my comments are parenthetical)
    • G-Sensor: Support
    • LCD Screen Size: 2.7 LTPS 16:9 (This is not a wide format screen)
    • Chip: Novatek NT96220
    • Lens: 170 degree A + grade high resolution ultra-wide angle lens
    • Files Format: MOV. (This is .AVI, not .MOV)
    • Image Sensor: AR0330
    • Video Resolution: 1920*1080; 1280*720; 848*480; 640*480 (I could not get this to do 1920*1080)
    • Recording Video Format: H.264,Audio:AAC (Video is not H.264 MPEG-4 AVC;; Audio is PCM, Mono, 16-bit, pathetic)
    • Continuous Loop Video: Seamless Loop Recording, don't leak second
    • Automatically Power on/off: Support Auto ignition boot, turn off shutdown (This feature works if your power port is only on when the car is started.)
    • Interface:support USB;HDMI ;AV OUT (There is a USB charging port, untested for data transfer, but there are no video out ports, neither HDMI or AV Out)
    • Motion Detection: Support
    • Night Vision: Support (Night vision LEDs are worthless, no benefit seen.)

Other observations:
    • The mount is weak, does not remain stationary but orientation migrates even when tightened, mount stays on windshield but camera falls off the mount, etc.
    • Doesn't drain battery if left on, but randomly turns itself off.
    • Embedded mic sounds tinny and static-y, lousy audio recordings, voice is inaudible on videos, sound is mono channel, not stereo
    • Color and clarity of LCD is fine but the display is always on, there is no sleep mode to darken the display
    • No option to hard wire the camera
    Be active.

I have this camera and can't say enough good about it for a dash cam. Not too expensive at $80 I think, but maybe cheaper on eBay. Tons of mounting options, not to mention that it records when you start the car, and loops back over previously recorded material, so you never need to do anything until you want to save something. Then you just pop out the card to get the last X hours from it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Have had numerous requests to create a stickie on digital recorders (personal carry use) and dash cams...
    GREAT idea!

G1W-C 1080P HD Car Dash Camera /w Capacitor directly from spy tec http://www.spytecinc.com/

excellent quality, mount hinky and one minor glitch it and i are having some discussions on how to set the date/time but i will persevere w/o learning Chinese...grrrrr..

now where did i leave my hammer...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

There is plenty of wire to run it hidden behind the dash, up the post and behind the headliner trim. I'm told do not hardwire it as it doesn't use 12 volt.
    I've always used this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    or this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2OCOGC9B25845
    to hard wire to the fuse box. Then zip tied the two plugs together and hid it up under the dash somewhere. That way whatever I'm installing keeps the little transformer that's in the plug and sometimes gives me the extra wiring needed to hide everything properly.

This is what use to power my cell phone, camera, GPS and TinyTrak(For APRS).

Rocketek® 3 Socket Cigarette Lighter Adapter DC Outlet Car Splitter 6-port USB Car Charger Adapter / Car Socket Adapter - Build-in 90CM Cable and Fuse

While I am open carrying!
    Last edited by speed41ae; 10-08-2015 at 09:46 PM.

stocked up on a few more of the F198 dash cams that have been popular among the Richmond group. They came from WA but when I powered them up the On Screen Displays on all of them were in Chinese. I don't care if the instruction manuals are in Chinese, I'm quite familiar with how to work the thing. However, when the OSD menu is in hieroglyphics that causes a problem.

Well it did, until I decided to try google translate and then I picked the hieroglyphics on my screen that looked closest to the ones google showed for "language". Thankfully when I pressed that button one of the options that appeared on my screen was "English"

when the camera is powered on you have to press the MENU button 2 times, then you press DOWN 1 time and then press the OK button (which is the one at the top next to the ON/OFF button).
    At this point a new menu appears on the screen, the top item says "English". When I highlighted that and pressed the OK button the OSD turned to English.
    Last edited by scouser; 10-15-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added instructions in case anyone else gets the same problem
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    stocked up on a few more of the F198 dash cams that have been popular among the Richmond group...
    How about a link to the dash cam?

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    How about a link to the dash cam?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sain...obile&ie=UTF-8
    Be active.

I'm looking at the same one Solus uses. It was recommended to me and the reviews are excellent. I'm about to pull the trigger on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-.../dp/B00MIO2KRC
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    I've had the same one for two years, it's proved I was not at fault in 3 accidents and I just ordered two more for family members.

I presently carry a Sony ICD PX333 4GB Digital Flash Voice Recorder OEM VG ICD-PX333 whenever I leave the house. It stays on until I return home.

It does every thing I could want and is available on-line for under $30.00 including free shipping.

This from Gold Star - the same people I bought my dash cams from.
    http://tinyurl.com/o7dhqsm

Dash cams - recently purchsed two unit for about $16.00 each, again with free shipping from Gold Star
    Units are described as: HD DVR with 2.5" TFT LCD Screen

These all come from a USA supplier, fully warranted, day/night recording, and down loadable. You will want to add a SD/MMC card.

You could pay a lot more, but why?
    Have had a few of the dash cams for a couple years now...other than occasionally needing to format the SD card (fails to delete and write when full) and needing to be unplugged/battery pulled once every few months, we have had good service from them. Helped in 2 accidents already, and provided a LOT of peace of mind knowing the chances of a "he said/he said" traffic encounters are reduced and also keep it pointed to traffic lights to record yellow/red lights.

Getting ready to upgrade to a dual (front/rear) higher resolution model soon.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Well it did, until I decided to try google translate and then I picked the hieroglyphics on my screen that looked closest to the ones google showed for "language". Thankfully when I pressed that button one of the options that appeared on my screen was "English"

when the camera is powered on you have to press the MENU button 2 times, then you press DOWN 1 time and then press the OK button (which is the one at the top next to the ON/OFF button).
    At this point a new menu appears on the screen, the top item says "English". When I highlighted that and pressed the OK button the OSD turned to English.
    Here's the link to the camera - needs a microSD card (purchased separately).

https://youtu.be/z0R06jau3o4
    Last edited by HPmatt; 10-20-2015 at 05:51 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I'm still waiting for this group to release some more info before pre-ordering, but this little device looks pretty slick.

Narrative clip 2 $199 but you can get down to $160 with "karma"

http://getnarrative.com

Supposedly they have a mode to tap it and record indefinitely. Not sure about automatic backup to another device yet though. 720p or 1080p video only at the moment, but other options are likely just a software change. It can still hold a days worth of video easily. Battery life 30 hours, 8mp, 8gb storage, USB, GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth.

We've had some very savvy people look at and use many of these dash cams including GoPro.

All in all you'll be hard pressed to beat the practicality of the one mentioned in my post #4 - presently available for under $20.00

There are identical units for a variety of prices (some much higher) from the same distributor - that is for those who think by paying more they are getting more - Caveat emptor.

State Researcher
    There are identical units for a variety of prices (some much higher) from the same distributor - that is for those who think by paying more they are getting more - Caveat emptor.
    Grapeshot,

By chance have you seen any units that also provide back up camera functionality?

I'm looking for a back up camera for the wife's vehicle and would like to have it support a second rearview camera on the back on the trailer when pulling that. The trailer camera would be for far more than backing....I'd like to be able to see what is behind me while driving. Far too many folks have no concept of being able to see the rear view mirrors of the tow vehicle and insist on tailgating.

If I could get the above, while also having a downloadable dash cam, especially for less than $1k, I'd be happy as a clam at high tide.

Thanks

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    Grapeshot,

By chance have you seen any units that also provide back up camera functionality?

I'm looking for a back up camera for the wife's vehicle and would like to have it support a second rearview camera on the back on the trailer when pulling that. The trailer camera would be for far more than backing....I'd like to be able to see what is behind me while driving. Far too many folks have no concept of being able to see the rear view mirrors of the tow vehicle and insist on tailgating.

If I could get the above, while also having a downloadable dash cam, especially for less than $1k, I'd be happy as a clam at high tide.

Thanks

Charles
    Others have mounted one pointing to the rear for that purpose.

Beyond that you are talikg about a specialized unit with camera in one location and screen in another - Blue Tooth maybe.

State Researcher
    Others have mounted one pointing to the rear for that purpose.

Beyond that you are talikg about a specialized unit with camera in one location and screen in another - Blue Tooth maybe.
    I was afraid of that. Back to my search for a multi-function, economical solution it seems.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

look

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    I was afraid of that. Back to my search for a multi-function, economical solution it seems.

Charles

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_126174.html
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Here's the link to the camera - needs a microSD card (purchased separately).

https://youtu.be/z0R06jau3o4
    Regular sized sd card is what every one I've had has used, usually put a 32GB card in them
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Banned
    I always buy microSD cards, they always come with SD adapters so I can use them in just about anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast