Thread: One dead, 3 injured in 1:00 AM shooting at Northern Arizona University

One dead, 3 injured in 1:00 AM shooting at Northern Arizona University

NYT: "The shooting comes eight days after a rampage that left 10 people dead at Umpqua Community College in Oregon, an episode that brought new urgency to a long debate over stricter gun laws."

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl..._JNbplNwcsaGAM

news.nau.edu/statement-from-northern-arizona-university-regarding-shooting-on-campus/#.VhedMbRVhBc
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-09-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

so the copy cats begin...sigh

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

From what I'm reading online it looks like drunken Frat boys in a parking lot. The shooter is a Freshman.

It's stuff like that this that makes it real difficult to approach the Legislature with a straight face about allowing "guns on campus."

Fred

It is the other side of the Freedom Is Not Free coin. A freedom that cannot, even shouldn't, be abused is hardly a freedom.

I remember a book from my college days, Freedom: Not License by Alexander Sutherland Neill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._S._...elf-governance

Funny if it ends up justified SD.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Was it a shooting IN the university or a house/apartment NEAR the University. All these reports are worded as such to mislead the reader and advance an agenda. Of course.

Frat boys, booze, drugs and weapons, a deadly combination..
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

This particular freshman was 18 years old, so an illegal age to conceal a firearm, and there aren't many open carriers in their schools.

So no "campus carry" issue would have solved this. He went and got a gun and did evil, for whatever mentally disturbed purpose.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Prosecutors said the suspect's account amounted to a "self-serving" statement and alleged Jones was the aggressor. "There is no indication of self-defense here," Deputy County Attorney Ammon Barker said. "The defendant had retreated from the fight, he obtained a gun and then he went back into the fray."

The shooting occurred in a parking lot just outside Mountain View Hall dormitory on the Flagstaff campus, which provides housing for many of the campus' sororities and fraternities. He says a group chased him to his car, where he retrieved a handgun. Two of the victims had stopped following him but turned around when Jones yelled that he had a gun, court documents said.

At one point, a group tried to subdue Jones, who fired a shot in the air. Jones said he then dropped his firearm, which had a flashlight attached to it.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/usandwo...331517471.html

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Frat boys, booze, drugs and weapons, a deadly combination..
    ccj, you forgot the significant overload of testosterone running through their bods.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    ccj, you forgot the significant overload of testosterone running through their bods.

ipse
    Indeed Sir!
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Why are we all sharing from the mainstream propaganda machine?

https://theconservativebroadcast.wor...zona-shooting/
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Prosecutors said Jones, a pledge from the Sigma Chi fraternity, got into the fight in the parking lot outside the dorm and was punched in the face before being chased to his car where he kept a pistol.

Jones has since told police that he acted in self defense, warning his unarmed attackers that he would shoot, then opening fire when two of them continued to approach him.

However prosecutors have rejected that claim, saying Jones could easily have walked away from the fracas, but chose to get his gun and ‘go back into the fray’.
    More info to come I suspect.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    More info to come I suspect.
    Three days later and the event has fallen from the public consciousness, I doubt it.