Thread: WaPo liberal, gun law changes not possible. "We're screwed. This is America"

WaPo liberal, gun law changes not possible. "We're screwed. This is America"

"The availability of firearms feeds this problem, but then, what the hell are you going to do about it?" asked Wachtel, who now teaches criminal justice at California State University, Fullerton. Meaningful changes to the nation's firearms policy aren't politically feasible, he said: "We're screwed. This is America."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...business_pop_b
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I agree that there is nothing we can do.
    You will never stop crazy. The best were can do is defend ourselves and stop them as quickly as possible.

Background checks will do nothing.
    Magazine bans will do nothing.
    Assault weapon bans will do nothing.
    More gun free zones will do nothing.
    100% confiscation will create more deaths.
    A total of the 2nd amendment will do nothing.

The only things that might help is making ammo and reloading so expensive that people can't afford it anymore.

Kind of like they have done with suppresors and full auto.
    They are so expensive that only a select few can afford the time and money.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Each of those weapons could end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. As a result, experts say, the main reason that guns cause the deaths of so many Americans is just that America has so many guns.
    Definition of “expert” -- an “X” is a has-been and spurt is a drip under pressure.

I almost never listen to xpurts.

Quote Originally Posted by travr6 View Post
    [ ... ] The only things that might help is making ammo and reloading so expensive that people can't afford it anymore. Kind of like they have done with suppresors ... They are so expensive that only a select few can afford the time and money.
    Again you project your narrow parochial view of the world onto others. It was either the cited WaPo article or another contemporary to it that noted that there are more guns than citizens of the US, enough to arm every man, woman and child with guns already in private hands.

Ammunition is similar. My daughter's in-laws, of whom I knew nothing, keep ammo sufficient for barter should TSHTF - and vodka. I have far more ammo than I will shoot in my remaining years.

Suppressors with the transfer tax cost about half that of a quality gun, and are becoming a common hunting accessory.

From the article...........

Yet when adjusting for the number of guns -- along with demographic variables and the rate of violent deaths not involving firearms -- these two groups of states had identical rates of gun fatalities.

The article is full of :maybes" and "might" and conjecture. Very few facts, but a goodly portion of obfuscation.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

That's the story of anti-gun arguments though, isn't it? The reality is, when you look at the actual crime statistics, you often find conflicting results. Some areas have stricter laws and more crime and some have looser laws and more crime. There are more social issues at play and ultimately a gun is just another tool for people to use. One trend that does tend to hold true across the US as a whole though is that more guns actually result in lower crime. But, data can easily be manipulated to say whatever you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    I think it was Mark Twain that quipped that "There are lies. There are DAMNED lies. Then, there are STATISTICS!"
    actually...it is often erroneously attributed to Twain himself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_...and_statistics

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Only the credulous ignorant are susceptible to manipulated data.

"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'" https://www.gutenberg.org/files/19987/19987.txt
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-11-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Move to any another country if you want stricter gun control - I'll pay your airline bag fee...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Only the credulous ignorant are susceptible to manipulated data.

"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'" https://www.gutenberg.org/files/19987/19987.txt
    The earliest instance of the phrase found in print dates to a letter written in the British newspaper National Observer on June 8, 1891, published June 13, 1891, p. 93(-94): NATIONAL PENSIONS [To the Editor of The National Observer] London, 8 June 1891 "Sir, —It has been wittily remarked that there are three kinds of falsehood: the first is a 'fib,' the second is a downright lie, and the third and most aggravated is statistics.

let's see my math being rusty as it is means it was stated 15 years before twain's rendition.

a rose by any other name is still a flower.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain