Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: IWB or OWB Holster

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Greensboro NC
    Posts
    18

    IWB or OWB Holster

    I was curious if anyone used an IWB holster for open carry by just tucking their shirt in, or if this would even be considered OC. Im assuming this would just as long as your shirt is tucked in and the gun is still visible correct? I was thinking about using one for this purpose. Thoughts comments?
    Last edited by knd578; 10-09-2015 at 09:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    127
    As long as your firearm is clearly visible and clearly identifiable as such, it is open carry.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    If I'm going to be OCing, I almost always use an OWB holster. I prefer the Serpa CQC, because it's fast, secure and comfy, but I do have a few leather rigs with retaining straps for "fancy dress"...

    The only time I OC with an IWB rig is when I'm planning to CC for discretion (like when I'm wearing a suit, or out with family members who are gun-squeamish), and I need to take off my cover garment for some reason. And even THEN, sometimes, I'll wear an OWB rig, for comfort or ease-of-deployment reasons.

    I rarely use IWB holsters anymore when I'm carrying in states like NC that allow OC and don't have "printing laws". To me, the comfort and speed of an OWB rig FAR outweighs any "tactical advantage" of the sort of deep cover than an IWB holster afford.

    Considering that drawing and getting the first shot off from an OC'd OWB rig like a Serpa is about 2-5 seconds quicker than from ANY IWB rig (even when it's NOT covered, and being used in an OC manner), I'd go with the OWB rig 99% of the time. Plus, with an OWB rig, my gun doesn't get all sweaty, and it's a gazillion times easier to re-holster...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Greensboro NC
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    If I'm going to be OCing, I almost always use an OWB holster. I prefer the Serpa CQC, because it's fast, secure and comfy, but I do have a few leather rigs with retaining straps for "fancy dress"...

    The only time I OC with an IWB rig is when I'm planning to CC for discretion (like when I'm wearing a suit, or out with family members who are gun-squeamish), and I need to take off my cover garment for some reason. And even THEN, sometimes, I'll wear an OWB rig, for comfort or ease-of-deployment reasons.

    I rarely use IWB holsters anymore when I'm carrying in states like NC that allow OC and don't have "printing laws". To me, the comfort and speed of an OWB rig FAR outweighs any "tactical advantage" of the sort of deep cover than an IWB holster afford.

    Considering that drawing and getting the first shot off from an OC'd OWB rig like a Serpa is about 2-5 seconds quicker than from ANY IWB rig (even when it's NOT covered, and being used in an OC manner), I'd go with the OWB rig 99% of the time. Plus, with an OWB rig, my gun doesn't get all sweaty, and it's a gazillion times easier to re-holster...
    You do make a good point. I just wondering because for that particular one i want to carry i only have IWB holster right now. Guess IL be shopping for an OWB one as well. Thanks!!

  5. #5
    Regular Member Nang pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by knd578 View Post
    I was curious if anyone used an IWB holster for open carry by just tucking their shirt in, or if this would even be considered OC. Im assuming this would just as long as your shirt is tucked in and the gun is still visible correct? I was thinking about using one for this purpose. Thoughts comments?
    That's going to very with the state as there is no uniform definition of 'open carry'. In California what you're talking about is considered CC because you cover part of the gun, but in Texas the exact same thing is OC because the gun is redily identified as such.

    There's also no uniform definition of "loaded" so watch out
    Last edited by Nang pa; 10-12-2015 at 08:31 AM.
    "Shooting is rarely the best answer to a problem, but when it is, it's often the only answer."
    Three: Legends of the Dusk Walker

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang pa View Post
    That's going to very(sic) with the state as there is no uniform definition of 'open carry'. In California what you're talking about is considered CC because you cover part of the gun, but in Texas the exact same thing is OC because the gun is redily identified as such.

    There's also no uniform definition of "loaded" so watch out
    That may be true, BUT this was posted in the NC sub-forum, therefore pertains only to NC specifically.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Nang pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That may be true, BUT this was posted in the NC sub-forum, therefore pertains only to NC specifically.
    News to me, Tapatalk doesn't display half the information you see on a PC.
    "Shooting is rarely the best answer to a problem, but when it is, it's often the only answer."
    Three: Legends of the Dusk Walker

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang pa View Post
    News to me, Tapatalk doesn't display half the information you see on a PC.
    Reading the OP and the rest of the posts on this very short thread would have provided that info also.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Nang pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Reading the OP and the rest of the posts on this very short thread would have provided that info also.
    OP didn't specify a state. Do you believe this to be what OP wanted to discuss?
    Last edited by Nang pa; 10-13-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    "Shooting is rarely the best answer to a problem, but when it is, it's often the only answer."
    Three: Legends of the Dusk Walker

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang pa View Post
    OP didn't specify a state. Do you believe this to be what OP wanted to discuss?
    Not sure why you are making this a point of contention, but it is becoming laborious.

    So let's be clear: He lives in NC, he posted in NC, the question is state specific as to the laws. He has been back reading the forum since posting. Until and unless the OP states otherwise, we shall conclude that is precisely what he wanted to discuss.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Greensboro NC
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not sure why you are making this a point of contention, but it is becoming laborious.

    So let's be clear: He lives in NC, he posted in NC, the question is state specific as to the laws. He has been back reading the forum since posting. Until and unless the OP states otherwise, we shall conclude that is precisely what he wanted to discuss.
    Didn't mean to cause so much confusion, but yes my focus is NC and what rules apply specifically for NC. I appreciate the info and still looking for anymore input from anyone else. Thanks!!

  12. #12
    Regular Member Nang pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not sure why you are making this a point of contention, but it is becoming laborious.

    So let's be clear: He lives in NC, he posted in NC, the question is state specific as to the laws. He has been back reading the forum since posting. Until and unless the OP states otherwise, we shall conclude that is precisely what he wanted to discuss.
    I believe OP wants to discuss a style of carry, while you seem to want to discuss forum etiquette. My initial post was made in good faith and really all I have to contribute. I'm sorry if my words triggered some pet-peeve of yours but I have no control over how others feel or how they react. Since it seems that your tangent on forum etiquette here is causing more harm to this thread than my initial molti-state comment, this will be the last I post about it.

    Good morning

  13. #13
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Firearm type and size are to be considered. Buying trousers that are a size or two larger vs. proper fitting trousers...two sets of clothes if you will. OWB holsters alleviate these issues and there is no ambiguity as to the mode of carry. My experiences are that most folks do not notice my firearm while OCing.

    Welcome to OCDO.

    De Santis Viper brown leather holster w/thumb break, Serpa CQC, and some friction only retention holsters...all OWB.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang pa View Post
    News to me, Tapatalk doesn't display half the information you see on a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Reading the OP and the rest of the posts on this very short thread would have provided that info also.
    I have often thought that much of our difficulties here, with communicating and being agreeable, are due to not reading a thread's previous posts and aggravated by the minimal capabilities of other than PC's. Even so far as suspecting that Tapatalk users as a class may be different.

    I have no idea what is Tapatalk or what is its purpose, its purveyors may have agendas of their own and ulterior motives.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-14-2015 at 07:14 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Nang pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I have no idea what is Tapatalk or what is its purpose, its purveyors may have agendas of their own and ulterior motives.
    Tapatalk is a discussion-forum app for mobile devices. https://tapatalk.com/

    This forum's admin had to install a Tapatalk addon to the vBulliten software this forum runs on in order for me to register and use this forum through Tapatalk, so if there is a conspiracy as you suggest, the admin is in on it.

    Welcome to 2015, btw
    Last edited by Nang pa; 10-14-2015 at 08:11 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang pa View Post
    Tapatalk is a discussion-forum app for mobile devices. https://tapatalk.com/

    This forum's admin had to install a Tapatalk addon to the vBulliten software this forum runs on in order for me to register and use this forum through Tapatalk, so if there is a conspiracy as you suggest, the admin is in on it.

    Welcome to 2015, btw
    I access this forum just fine from my not-so smartphone Galaxy 5.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    561

    Cool

    Have not carried in NC, but I did start out OC exactly as you mentioned, in an IWB holster. I thought it would be less noticeable, and I believe it is. However, I've come to discover that nobody really notices OWB either, for the most part.

    I've pretty much switched over to OWB all the time and said the heck with it, more comfortable (for me, maybe not for someone that notices tho. I don't see the draw time being much different with either mode in OC, but reholstering is probably easier OWB, as mentioned. Lots of variables in holsters, I'm sure you could find a IWB that is easier to reholster than some OWB. There aren't many IWB that have any retention other than friction, that I am aware of, so that may be a consideration.

    I never got the what part of the gun you can see being an important thing. You see the same amount of gun whether it is in an IWB or OWB holster, you just see more of the holster OWB, and it is probably more readily identifiable as a firearm when you see all of the holster. IWB at 3:00 can pretty much disappear with the right shirt and holding your arm at your side. If you can't see it, that's concealed. If you don't see it, that's not my fault. Laws in your state may vary. I never got confronted while OC IWB, but maybe no one ever saw it?

    Let's say you have an OWB level 9 retention holster where 90 percent of the firearm is covered by safety retention devices. Is that open or concealed. At some point you end up with a Sneaky Pete, which I believe is concealed, yet to me SCREAMS gun. It gets kind of crazy, plus cross state lines and it's almost more than a mere mortal can keep track of!
    Last edited by Wstar425; 10-14-2015 at 08:57 AM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    From my Galaxy S5

    I OCW in a SERPA, and CCW with a VERSA CARRY II
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by knd578 View Post
    Didn't mean to cause so much confusion, but yes my focus is NC and what rules apply specifically for NC. I appreciate the info and still looking for anymore input from anyone else. Thanks!!
    You were not the cause for any confusion - nada.

    OWB holsters are IMO more comfortable, don't require roomier pants, don't subject the holster or the gun to sweat/salts from your body, offer faster presentation, and help to educate the public on the legality of LAC carrying for personal defense.

    NC is generally quite accepting of OC. Of course knowing the laws of where such is legal is extremely important.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...na-Flyer/page2
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,884
    OP, if the the extra sized pants coupled with the metal/leather lump pressing directly on your hip with only your underwear mitigating the rub (no i do not need to know you go commando) go with IWB. oh remember which pants are extra sized so you don't have the cinch the belt up tighter when you wear them w/o your PD firearm!!

    otherwise, since you are in the tarheel state, join everyone else, wearing their everyday pants, who are OC'g with their firearm hanging off the outside of their belt.

    those citizens that take exception will do so not from how you wear your PD firearm but because it is a firearm and they are scared it will magically jump out of the holster by its self and assassinate them.

    bottom line...who cares except you and you need to move on as there are better things to do with your time ~ enjoying your loved ones, get out and about the community, especially since the humidity has returned to normal (such as it is) than pondering this silly concept for much longer.

    ipse

    rewind: better cite for complete NC overview: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx
    Last edited by solus; 10-14-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    --snipped-- If you can't see it, that's concealed.
    Actually, no it is not.

    Sitting in a booth w/strong side to the wall or in a telephone booth (remember those?) is not concealed any more than being in your home OCing is concealing your gun from view. OC refers to how you are carrying, not whether others actually see it.

    I don't think there has ever been a case where a persons arms partially blocked the view of their holstered handgun being charged with concealing. No offense intended, but that is almost funny.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tomahawk and Abbotsford, Wi.
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Actually, no it is not.

    Sitting in a booth w/strong side to the wall or in a telephone booth (remember those?) is not concealed any more than being in your home OCing is concealing your gun from view. OC refers to how you are carrying, not whether others actually see it.

    I don't think there has ever been a case where a persons arms partially blocked the view of their holstered handgun being charged with concealing. No offense intended, but that is almost funny.
    Actually, I could snip 7 words out of your post and make it say anything. That's NOT what I was saying and I expect you know it. The whole post is about how you carry, and my entire answer was about how I've carried. By your line of reasoning, I can't see you today from Chicago so obviously you are concealed carrying. Read my post as a whole, specifically the next sentence after your copy. Don't try to make me out to say something I didn't say, and in the future if you are going to copy and paste me, please copy the entire post. A little trick you picked up from last nights Demo debate maybe? Oh yeah, no offense but that is almost funny.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    Actually, I could snip 7 words out of your post and make it say anything. That's NOT what I was saying and I expect you know it. The whole post is about how you carry, and my entire answer was about how I've carried. By your line of reasoning, I can't see you today from Chicago so obviously you are concealed carrying. Read my post as a whole, specifically the next sentence after your copy. Don't try to make me out to say something I didn't say, and in the future if you are going to copy and paste me, please copy the entire post. A little trick you picked up from last nights Demo debate maybe? Oh yeah, no offense but that is almost funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    Have not carried in NC, but I did start out OC exactly as you mentioned, in an IWB holster. I thought it would be less noticeable, and I believe it is. However, I've come to discover that nobody really notices OWB either, for the most part.

    I've pretty much switched over to OWB all the time and said the heck with it, more comfortable (for me, maybe not for someone that notices tho. I don't see the draw time being much different with either mode in OC, but reholstering is probably easier OWB, as mentioned. Lots of variables in holsters, I'm sure you could find a IWB that is easier to reholster than some OWB. There aren't many IWB that have any retention other than friction, that I am aware of, so that may be a consideration.

    I never got the what part of the gun you can see being an important thing. You see the same amount of gun whether it is in an IWB or OWB holster, you just see more of the holster OWB, and it is probably more readily identifiable as a firearm when you see all of the holster. IWB at 3:00 can pretty much disappear with the right shirt and holding your arm at your side. If you can't see it, that's concealed. If you don't see it, that's not my fault. Laws in your state may vary. I never got confronted while OC IWB, but maybe no one ever saw it?

    Let's say you have an OWB level 9 retention holster where 90 percent of the firearm is covered by safety retention devices. Is that open or concealed. At some point you end up with a Sneaky Pete, which I believe is concealed, yet to me SCREAMS gun. It gets kind of crazy, plus cross state lines and it's almost more than a mere mortal can keep track of!
    "If you can't see it, that's concealed." In or out of context, that is still inaccurate and misleading.

    Re: "A little trick you picked up from last nights Demo debate maybe?" Apparently no one has told you it is bad form to insult people here.

    It is better and more graceful to say let me clarify - then do so w/o making a personal attack.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •