• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB or OWB Holster

knd578

I was curious if anyone used an IWB holster for open carry by just tucking their shirt in, or if this would even be considered OC. Im assuming this would just as long as your shirt is tucked in and the gun is still visible correct? I was thinking about using one for this purpose. Thoughts comments?

Last edited:

drsysadmin

As long as your firearm is clearly visible and clearly identifiable as such, it is open carry.

Dreamer

If I'm going to be OCing, I almost always use an OWB holster. I prefer the Serpa CQC, because it's fast, secure and comfy, but I do have a few leather rigs with retaining straps for "fancy dress"...

The only time I OC with an IWB rig is when I'm planning to CC for discretion (like when I'm wearing a suit, or out with family members who are gun-squeamish), and I need to take off my cover garment for some reason. And even THEN, sometimes, I'll wear an OWB rig, for comfort or ease-of-deployment reasons.

I rarely use IWB holsters anymore when I'm carrying in states like NC that allow OC and don't have "printing laws". To me, the comfort and speed of an OWB rig FAR outweighs any "tactical advantage" of the sort of deep cover than an IWB holster afford.

Considering that drawing and getting the first shot off from an OC'd OWB rig like a Serpa is about 2-5 seconds quicker than from ANY IWB rig (even when it's NOT covered, and being used in an OC manner), I'd go with the OWB rig 99% of the time. Plus, with an OWB rig, my gun doesn't get all sweaty, and it's a gazillion times easier to re-holster...

knd578

If I'm going to be OCing, I almost always use an OWB holster. I prefer the Serpa CQC, because it's fast, secure and comfy, but I do have a few leather rigs with retaining straps for "fancy dress"...

The only time I OC with an IWB rig is when I'm planning to CC for discretion (like when I'm wearing a suit, or out with family members who are gun-squeamish), and I need to take off my cover garment for some reason. And even THEN, sometimes, I'll wear an OWB rig, for comfort or ease-of-deployment reasons.

I rarely use IWB holsters anymore when I'm carrying in states like NC that allow OC and don't have "printing laws". To me, the comfort and speed of an OWB rig FAR outweighs any "tactical advantage" of the sort of deep cover than an IWB holster afford.

Considering that drawing and getting the first shot off from an OC'd OWB rig like a Serpa is about 2-5 seconds quicker than from ANY IWB rig (even when it's NOT covered, and being used in an OC manner), I'd go with the OWB rig 99% of the time. Plus, with an OWB rig, my gun doesn't get all sweaty, and it's a gazillion times easier to re-holster...

You do make a good point. I just wondering because for that particular one i want to carry i only have IWB holster right now. Guess IL be shopping for an OWB one as well. Thanks!!

Nang pa

I was curious if anyone used an IWB holster for open carry by just tucking their shirt in, or if this would even be considered OC. Im assuming this would just as long as your shirt is tucked in and the gun is still visible correct? I was thinking about using one for this purpose. Thoughts comments?
That's going to very with the state as there is no uniform definition of 'open carry'. In California what you're talking about is considered CC because you cover part of the gun, but in Texas the exact same thing is OC because the gun is redily identified as such.

There's also no uniform definition of "loaded" so watch out :)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's going to very(sic) with the state as there is no uniform definition of 'open carry'. In California what you're talking about is considered CC because you cover part of the gun, but in Texas the exact same thing is OC because the gun is redily identified as such.

There's also no uniform definition of "loaded" so watch out :)
That may be true, BUT this was posted in the NC sub-forum, therefore pertains only to NC specifically.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OP didn't specify a state. Do you believe this to be what OP wanted to discuss?
Not sure why you are making this a point of contention, but it is becoming laborious.

So let's be clear: He lives in NC, he posted in NC, the question is state specific as to the laws. He has been back reading the forum since posting. Until and unless the OP states otherwise, we shall conclude that is precisely what he wanted to discuss.

knd578

Not sure why you are making this a point of contention, but it is becoming laborious.

So let's be clear: He lives in NC, he posted in NC, the question is state specific as to the laws. He has been back reading the forum since posting. Until and unless the OP states otherwise, we shall conclude that is precisely what he wanted to discuss.

Didn't mean to cause so much confusion, but yes my focus is NC and what rules apply specifically for NC. I appreciate the info and still looking for anymore input from anyone else. Thanks!!

Nang pa

I believe OP wants to discuss a style of carry, while you seem to want to discuss forum etiquette. My initial post was made in good faith and really all I have to contribute. I'm sorry if my words triggered some pet-peeve of yours but I have no control over how others feel or how they react. Since it seems that your tangent on forum etiquette here is causing more harm to this thread than my initial molti-state comment, this will be the last I post about it.

Good morning :)

OC for ME

Firearm type and size are to be considered. Buying trousers that are a size or two larger vs. proper fitting trousers...two sets of clothes if you will. OWB holsters alleviate these issues and there is no ambiguity as to the mode of carry. My experiences are that most folks do not notice my firearm while OCing.

Welcome to OCDO.

De Santis Viper brown leather holster w/thumb break, Serpa CQC, and some friction only retention holsters...all OWB.

Nang pa

I have no idea what is Tapatalk or what is its purpose, its purveyors may have agendas of their own and ulterior motives.
Tapatalk is a discussion-forum app for mobile devices. https://tapatalk.com/

This forum's admin had to install a Tapatalk addon to the vBulliten software this forum runs on in order for me to register and use this forum through Tapatalk, so if there is a conspiracy as you suggest, the admin is in on it.

Welcome to 2015, btw :)

Last edited:

Wstar425

Have not carried in NC, but I did start out OC exactly as you mentioned, in an IWB holster. I thought it would be less noticeable, and I believe it is. However, I've come to discover that nobody really notices OWB either, for the most part.

I've pretty much switched over to OWB all the time and said the heck with it, more comfortable (for me, maybe not for someone that notices tho. I don't see the draw time being much different with either mode in OC, but reholstering is probably easier OWB, as mentioned. Lots of variables in holsters, I'm sure you could find a IWB that is easier to reholster than some OWB. There aren't many IWB that have any retention other than friction, that I am aware of, so that may be a consideration.

I never got the what part of the gun you can see being an important thing. You see the same amount of gun whether it is in an IWB or OWB holster, you just see more of the holster OWB, and it is probably more readily identifiable as a firearm when you see all of the holster. IWB at 3:00 can pretty much disappear with the right shirt and holding your arm at your side. If you can't see it, that's concealed. If you don't see it, that's not my fault. Laws in your state may vary. I never got confronted while OC IWB, but maybe no one ever saw it?

Let's say you have an OWB level 9 retention holster where 90 percent of the firearm is covered by safety retention devices. Is that open or concealed. At some point you end up with a Sneaky Pete, which I believe is concealed, yet to me SCREAMS gun. It gets kind of crazy, plus cross state lines and it's almost more than a mere mortal can keep track of!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Didn't mean to cause so much confusion, but yes my focus is NC and what rules apply specifically for NC. I appreciate the info and still looking for anymore input from anyone else. Thanks!!
You were not the cause for any confusion - nada.

OWB holsters are IMO more comfortable, don't require roomier pants, don't subject the holster or the gun to sweat/salts from your body, offer faster presentation, and help to educate the public on the legality of LAC carrying for personal defense.

NC is generally quite accepting of OC. Of course knowing the laws of where such is legal is extremely important.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer/page2

solus

OP, if the the extra sized pants coupled with the metal/leather lump pressing directly on your hip with only your underwear mitigating the rub (no i do not need to know you go commando) go with IWB. oh remember which pants are extra sized so you don't have the cinch the belt up tighter when you wear them w/o your PD firearm!!

otherwise, since you are in the tarheel state, join everyone else, wearing their everyday pants, who are OC'g with their firearm hanging off the outside of their belt.

those citizens that take exception will do so not from how you wear your PD firearm but because it is a firearm and they are scared it will magically jump out of the holster by its self and assassinate them.

bottom line...who cares except you and you need to move on as there are better things to do with your time ~ enjoying your loved ones, get out and about the community, especially since the humidity has returned to normal (such as it is) than pondering this silly concept for much longer.

ipse

rewind: better cite for complete NC overview: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped-- If you can't see it, that's concealed.
Actually, no it is not.

Sitting in a booth w/strong side to the wall or in a telephone booth (remember those?) is not concealed any more than being in your home OCing is concealing your gun from view. OC refers to how you are carrying, not whether others actually see it.

I don't think there has ever been a case where a persons arms partially blocked the view of their holstered handgun being charged with concealing. No offense intended, but that is almost funny.

Wstar425

Actually, no it is not.

Sitting in a booth w/strong side to the wall or in a telephone booth (remember those?) is not concealed any more than being in your home OCing is concealing your gun from view. OC refers to how you are carrying, not whether others actually see it.

I don't think there has ever been a case where a persons arms partially blocked the view of their holstered handgun being charged with concealing. No offense intended, but that is almost funny.

Actually, I could snip 7 words out of your post and make it say anything. That's NOT what I was saying and I expect you know it. The whole post is about how you carry, and my entire answer was about how I've carried. By your line of reasoning, I can't see you today from Chicago so obviously you are concealed carrying. Read my post as a whole, specifically the next sentence after your copy. Don't try to make me out to say something I didn't say, and in the future if you are going to copy and paste me, please copy the entire post. A little trick you picked up from last nights Demo debate maybe? Oh yeah, no offense but that is almost funny.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, I could snip 7 words out of your post and make it say anything. That's NOT what I was saying and I expect you know it. The whole post is about how you carry, and my entire answer was about how I've carried. By your line of reasoning, I can't see you today from Chicago so obviously you are concealed carrying. Read my post as a whole, specifically the next sentence after your copy. Don't try to make me out to say something I didn't say, and in the future if you are going to copy and paste me, please copy the entire post. A little trick you picked up from last nights Demo debate maybe? Oh yeah, no offense but that is almost funny.

Have not carried in NC, but I did start out OC exactly as you mentioned, in an IWB holster. I thought it would be less noticeable, and I believe it is. However, I've come to discover that nobody really notices OWB either, for the most part.

I've pretty much switched over to OWB all the time and said the heck with it, more comfortable (for me, maybe not for someone that notices tho. I don't see the draw time being much different with either mode in OC, but reholstering is probably easier OWB, as mentioned. Lots of variables in holsters, I'm sure you could find a IWB that is easier to reholster than some OWB. There aren't many IWB that have any retention other than friction, that I am aware of, so that may be a consideration.

I never got the what part of the gun you can see being an important thing. You see the same amount of gun whether it is in an IWB or OWB holster, you just see more of the holster OWB, and it is probably more readily identifiable as a firearm when you see all of the holster. IWB at 3:00 can pretty much disappear with the right shirt and holding your arm at your side. If you can't see it, that's concealed. If you don't see it, that's not my fault. Laws in your state may vary. I never got confronted while OC IWB, but maybe no one ever saw it?

Let's say you have an OWB level 9 retention holster where 90 percent of the firearm is covered by safety retention devices. Is that open or concealed. At some point you end up with a Sneaky Pete, which I believe is concealed, yet to me SCREAMS gun. It gets kind of crazy, plus cross state lines and it's almost more than a mere mortal can keep track of!
"If you can't see it, that's concealed." In or out of context, that is still inaccurate and misleading.

Re: "A little trick you picked up from last nights Demo debate maybe?" Apparently no one has told you it is bad form to insult people here.

It is better and more graceful to say let me clarify - then do so w/o making a personal attack.