• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving back to NC...

Dreamer

I lived in NC from 2007-2011, and had a NC CHP issued in Beaufort Co.

I moved back to MD for a job, and current live there, and so my NC permit has expired (they won't renew if you are a non-resident)

I'll be moving back to NC sometime in the summer of 2016, but in a different county (Guilford Co--Greensboro), and want to get a NC permit again. I contacted the Guilford Co Sheriff's office, and they tell me that not only do I need to apply as if it's a new permit (which I knew, because my Beaufort Co permit expired), but that my Training Certification is no longer valid and I'll have to take a new class and get a new certification.

Is this true? My NC CC training cert is from 2010. There is nothing in the law that I can find that says there is an expiration date on NC training certificates. Are they just in cahoots with the local CC trainers, or is this a legitimate claim that I MUST re-take the training course?

I fully intend on OCing most of the time anyway, but I want my NC permit, for travel to other states, and for vehicle transport, and because it makes buying new firearms SO much easier. And now that I'm into 3-gun competition, I'm traveling a lot with guns in the car to other states, and would like the assurance of having that great reciprocity of a NC permit.

Thanks, and Carry On!

solus

welcome back...

yepper, your chp training cert is only good for a year...

yes it would be a logical leap of faith on use of the term cahoots but remember it is nc after all where the goode olde boy network is alive and well and some things are done on a subconsciousness level without any preconceived notion of the word ~ cahoots.

ipse

Dreamer

welcome back...

yepper, your chp training cert is only good for a year...

F...F...S...

Thanks for this information. Not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate your help!

I was wondering if the local constabulary was just trying to pull a fast one on me. Well, looks like I need to start saving up for that silly class then. I could probably TEACH it. Well, at least this time, I'll probably get a perfect 100% on both the written AND the range tests. The last time I took the class, I got 100% on the written, but was using a gun that I had JUST got back from my gunsmith after a TOTAL rebuild, and it was literally the first time I'd shot it, so I only scored 98/100 on the range qualification, which REALLY pissed me off... ;-)

I'll have to order some of those B-27NC targets and start practicing. I've got no excuses this time to not shoot a perfect qual, considering I've been using that gun now for nearly 5 years as my primary USPSA competitive handgun.

Shooting stationary B27s at close range (under 7 meters)while NOT running, or winded, and NOT under the pressure of a timer is going to be a cakewalk this time around!

http://www.targets.net/html/Targets/B-27/B-27-NC.html

Resto Guy

Welcome back!

It should feel like living in a different country once you get to N.C.

Last edited:

dmatting

The certification from your CHP class doesn't expire. You get one certificate from the class and you give that to the sheriff with your application. One and done.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The certification from your CHP class doesn't expire. You get one certificate from the class and you give that to the sheriff with your application. One and done.

I'm not so sure 'bout that.

Has this changed?
(e) If the permittee does not apply to renew the permit prior to its expiration date, but does apply to renew the permit within 60 days after the permit expires, the sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety and training course. This subsection does not extend the expiration date of the permit.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-415.16.html

Specific reference made here:

"If more than 60 days has passed since your permit EXPIRED, you must retake the CONCEALED HANDGUN TRAINING COURSE, apply as a NEW APPLICANT, and submit the NEW TRAINING CERTIFICATE with the application."
https://martinso.permitium.com/ccw/start

dmatting

What I said still applies. You get one certificate. You hand it in with your application - now you have zero certifications. If you have to reapply, you have to take the course again to get your one certificate. The certificate doesn't expire but you only get one.

solus

What I said still applies. You get one certificate. You hand it in with your application - now you have zero certifications. If you have to reapply, you have to take the course again to get your one certificate. The certificate doesn't expire but you only get one.

dmatting...if you fail to raise the appropriate $$$ to pay the kind sheriff for his efforts towards issuing your CHP before the end of 365 days your training cert is a worthless document.

additionally, folks around here just turn in a copy to the highest peace officer of the county along with their CHP application and leave the original at home to love and cherish since it cost the individual mega bucks and eight hours of classroom plus range time to obtain.

ipse

dmatting

dmatting...if you fail to raise the appropriate $$$ to pay the kind sheriff for his efforts towards issuing your CHP before the end of 365 days your training cert is a worthless document.

additionally, folks around here just turn in a copy to the highest peace officer of the county along with their CHP application and leave the original at home to love and cherish since it cost the individual mega bucks and eight hours of classroom plus range time to obtain.

ipse

This is an example of local sheriffs creating their own rules for the application process. I suppose some of it is their prerogative and then you are just forced to go through their bs process - but what is new about that? This is what we get when our rights are turned into privileges. There are many who have received their CHP with a course completion certificate that is well over a year old. It doesn't expire and there isn't anything in the law that causes it to expire.

Also, the law clearly states that the original certificate of completion must be submitted to the sheriff as part of the application process. CITE: § 14-415.13(a)(4)
Anyone submitting a copy is in violation of the law and any sheriff who accepts a copy and not the original is obviously not too bright.