Thread: Non-Concealed Carry Gun Stolen in Wal-Mart Bathroom

Non-Concealed Carry Gun Stolen in Wal-Mart Bathroom

I just heard of this today. Has anyone else seen it? The writer, Russ Chastain, is, IMHO, very anti-OC.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/09/28...snt-concealed/

FUQ>>>>>There are many excellent reasons to carry a gun, and almost no reasons at all for a citizen to carry one openly. After all, that’s what led to this open-carry guy getting his nice new pistol stolen from him.
    When your gun is exposed, people know that you have a gun. Why is that bad? Because it freaks out the watery-eyed wimps, yes, but more importantly because it makes you a target. So, do your best to actually conceal that concealed handgun so you don’t end up like this guy.
    “This guy” is a 25-year-old who strode into Wal-Mart with a Springfield XD 40 crammed into his waistband at the small of his back. Later, he shuffled out without it.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Nope hadn't heard of this before - not convinced it happened yet either.

Mr. Russ Chastain does not provide any valid cites. His links go to other articles written by him.

Even if true - one or two such would hardly constitute a high degree of probability when compared to the thousands of OC events happening constantly = .00001% or less IMO.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-10-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Do we have any police report of it happening

Real brazen to attack some carrying he must of had zero situational awareness.

not enough info for sure
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I might go along with the situational awareness comments, especially when comparing this (lack of informatio) report with the video of the CCer getting his handgun stolen in the Philly sandwich shop. At least that incident had security video of the CCer and the gun grab.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Was his gun just printing or was he over-exposed in the bathroom?
    Keeping it zipped up would have at least allowed some limited retention.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Nope hadn't heard of this before - not convinced it happened yet either.

Mr. Russ Chastain does not provide any valid cites. His links go to other articles written by him.

Even if true - one or two such would hardly constitute a high degree of probability when compared to the thousands of OC events happening constantly = .00001% or less IMO.
    MEDFORD, Ore. – Medford Police responded to a report of assault and robbery Thursday evening at the south WalMart.

http://www.kdrv.com/news/Man_Assault..._Bathroom.html

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Was his gun just printing or was he over-exposed in the bathroom?
    Keeping it zipped up would have at least allowed some limited retention.
    I see what you did there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Thats why when I OC I never ues the urinals I alway go into a stall.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    MEDFORD, Ore. – Medford Police responded to a report of assault and robbery Thursday evening at the south WalMart.

http://www.kdrv.com/news/Man_Assault..._Bathroom.html
    Ah so - the victim was not an OCer. Not that it makes much difference either way.

Poor situational awareness, poor choice of where to carry on his person IMO, inadequate retention skills

the second article states he was attacked for the firearm not merely had it snatched while using the urinal... same could happen as you walk out of the stall...

sorry, SA not withstanding, sheds a much different light on the situation than what was first reported.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

HP, shame on you for going there...impressed btw, but shame on you none the less.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I have to agree it had to be a CC gone bad. SOB is a poor place for a Open Carry weapon. Hard to retain weapon if grabbed . ...... --Edited by Moderator--
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-11-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Undesireable comment - deleted last sentence

Article mentioned "new" firearm. I wonder if he was "new" to carrying? Kind of like guys buying motorcycles without any riding experience. Dawins Rules.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Seems that good ole Russ missed that the gun was reported to be partially concealed by his shirt. That indicates to me that he was CCing, not OCing and his gun was printing through his shirt. SOB is, IMO, a urine poor place to carry a gun, whether open, or concealed. But it is tactikewl though.

Police say that a 25-year-old victim entered Walmart just after 9:00PM. They say he was carrying a Springfield XD 40-caliber handgun in a holster in the back of his waistband. The handgun was partially concealed by his shirt.

The victim had a concealed handgun license, authorizing him to carry concealed.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-11-2015 at 05:43 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Thread s/b closed - b4 too long folks w/b posting pics...

Seriously - did these 2 thieves just improvise this? To bail out the emergency exit w a car waiting sounds like it was planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

...did these 2 thieves just improvise this? To bail out the emergency exit w a car waiting sounds like it was planned. ...
    They definitely planned SOMETHING, perhaps just a case of tennis shoes, when this poorly concealed, poorly carried, opportunity presented itself.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Thread s/b closed - b4 too long folks w/b posting pics...

Seriously - did these 2 thieves just improvise this? To bail out the emergency exit w a car waiting sounds like it was planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure they were planning on stealing something, it is not uncommon to see this happen at Walmarts. Not gun snatching but stealing then bailing to a waiting car. The victims poor choice of carry apparently offered up an opportunity.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I just heard of this today. Has anyone else seen it? The writer, Russ Chastain, is, IMHO, very anti-OC.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/09/28...snt-concealed/

FUQ>>>>>There are many excellent reasons to carry a gun, and almost no reasons at all for a citizen to carry one openly. After all, that’s what led to this open-carry guy getting his nice new pistol stolen from him.
    When your gun is exposed, people know that you have a gun. Why is that bad? Because it freaks out the watery-eyed wimps, yes, but more importantly because it makes you a target. So, do your best to actually conceal that concealed handgun so you don’t end up like this guy.
    “This guy” is a 25-year-old who strode into Wal-Mart with a Springfield XD 40 crammed into his waistband at the small of his back. Later, he shuffled out without it.
    Also never dress well, because that makes you look like a target, too. No cell phone on the belt, quality watch, new car, clean clothes or showering more than once per month. All of that makes you a target. We need to keep the bad guys guessing so crumple your jeans and let your dog sleep on them. Key your own car, install bad brake pads and smash a window. Make a sticker of an EBT card and put it over your credit card face, that's the only way to retain the tactical advantage of suprise.
    Last edited by Nang pa; 10-12-2015 at 01:14 AM.
    "Shooting is rarely the best answer to a problem, but when it is, it's often the only answer."
    Three: Legends of the Dusk Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Nang pa View Post
    Also never dress well, because that makes you look like a target, too. No cell phone on the belt, quality watch, new car, clean clothes or showering more than once per month. All of that makes you a target. We need to keep the bad guys guessing so crumple your jeans and let your dog sleep on them. Key your own car, install bad brake pads and smash a window. Make a sticker of an EBT card and put it over your credit card face, that's the only way to retain the tactical advantage of suprise.
    You forgot to suggest wearing a hoodie over your head, even when the weather is warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You forgot to suggest wearing a hoodie over your head, even when the weather is warm.
    Well I didn't want a casual reader that happened to be black to take that advice, put on a hoodie, and then get 5 warning shots in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nang pa View Post
    ........... Make a sticker of an EBT card and put it over your credit card face, that's the only way to retain the tactical advantage of suprise.
    Now that is downright funny.

Banned

Nevermind, I had already cited that it was concealed carry. Damn oldtimers disease.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-17-2015 at 04:24 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Article mentioned "new" firearm. I wonder if he was "new" to carrying? Kind of like guys buying motorcycles without any riding experience. Dawins Rules.
    HEY! I bought one.. i also used to ride.. but that was 7 years ago that i did.

lost a lot of experience over the years.. although it is starting to come back.
    Last edited by Ezek; 10-26-2015 at 10:19 AM.