• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Concealed Carry Gun Stolen in Wal-Mart Bathroom

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I just heard of this today. Has anyone else seen it? The writer, Russ Chastain, is, IMHO, very anti-OC.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/09/2...wal-mart-bathroom-because-it-wasnt-concealed/

FUQ>>>>>There are many excellent reasons to carry a gun, and almost no reasons at all for a citizen to carry one openly. After all, that’s what led to this open-carry guy getting his nice new pistol stolen from him.
When your gun is exposed, people know that you have a gun. Why is that bad? Because it freaks out the watery-eyed wimps, yes, but more importantly because it makes you a target. So, do your best to actually conceal that concealed handgun so you don’t end up like this guy.
“This guy” is a 25-year-old who strode into Wal-Mart with a Springfield XD 40 crammed into his waistband at the small of his back. Later, he shuffled out without it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nope hadn't heard of this before - not convinced it happened yet either.

Mr. Russ Chastain does not provide any valid cites. His links go to other articles written by him.

Even if true - one or two such would hardly constitute a high degree of probability when compared to the thousands of OC events happening constantly = .00001% or less IMO.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I might go along with the situational awareness comments, especially when comparing this (lack of informatio) report with the video of the CCer getting his handgun stolen in the Philly sandwich shop. At least that incident had security video of the CCer and the gun grab.

stay safe.

HPmatt

Was his gun just printing or was he over-exposed in the bathroom?
Keeping it zipped up would have at least allowed some limited retention.

notalawyer

Nope hadn't heard of this before - not convinced it happened yet either.

Mr. Russ Chastain does not provide any valid cites. His links go to other articles written by him.

Even if true - one or two such would hardly constitute a high degree of probability when compared to the thousands of OC events happening constantly = .00001% or less IMO.

MEDFORD, Ore. – Medford Police responded to a report of assault and robbery Thursday evening at the south WalMart.

http://www.kdrv.com/news/Man_Assaulted_Robbed_of_Firearm_in_Walmart_Bathroom.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

solus

the second article states he was attacked for the firearm not merely had it snatched while using the urinal... same could happen as you walk out of the stall...

sorry, SA not withstanding, sheds a much different light on the situation than what was first reported.

ipse

solus

HP, shame on you for going there...impressed btw, but shame on you none the less.

ipse

kinggabby

I have to agree it had to be a CC gone bad. SOB is a poor place for a Open Carry weapon. Hard to retain weapon if grabbed . ...... --Edited by Moderator--

Last edited by a moderator:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Article mentioned "new" firearm. I wonder if he was "new" to carrying? Kind of like guys buying motorcycles without any riding experience. Dawins Rules.

WalkingWolf

Seems that good ole Russ missed that the gun was reported to be partially concealed by his shirt. That indicates to me that he was CCing, not OCing and his gun was printing through his shirt. SOB is, IMO, a urine poor place to carry a gun, whether open, or concealed. But it is tactikewl though.

Police say that a 25-year-old victim entered Walmart just after 9:00PM. They say he was carrying a Springfield XD 40-caliber handgun in a holster in the back of his waistband. The handgun was partially concealed by his shirt.

The victim had a concealed handgun license, authorizing him to carry concealed.

Last edited:

HPmatt

Thread s/b closed - b4 too long folks w/b posting pics...

Seriously - did these 2 thieves just improvise this? To bail out the emergency exit w a car waiting sounds like it was planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...did these 2 thieves just improvise this? To bail out the emergency exit w a car waiting sounds like it was planned. ...

They definitely planned SOMETHING, perhaps just a case of tennis shoes, when this poorly concealed, poorly carried, opportunity presented itself.

WalkingWolf

Thread s/b closed - b4 too long folks w/b posting pics...

Seriously - did these 2 thieves just improvise this? To bail out the emergency exit w a car waiting sounds like it was planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure they were planning on stealing something, it is not uncommon to see this happen at Walmarts. Not gun snatching but stealing then bailing to a waiting car. The victims poor choice of carry apparently offered up an opportunity.

Nang pa

I just heard of this today. Has anyone else seen it? The writer, Russ Chastain, is, IMHO, very anti-OC.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/09/2...wal-mart-bathroom-because-it-wasnt-concealed/

FUQ>>>>>There are many excellent reasons to carry a gun, and almost no reasons at all for a citizen to carry one openly. After all, that’s what led to this open-carry guy getting his nice new pistol stolen from him.
When your gun is exposed, people know that you have a gun. Why is that bad? Because it freaks out the watery-eyed wimps, yes, but more importantly because it makes you a target. So, do your best to actually conceal that concealed handgun so you don’t end up like this guy.
“This guy” is a 25-year-old who strode into Wal-Mart with a Springfield XD 40 crammed into his waistband at the small of his back. Later, he shuffled out without it.
Also never dress well, because that makes you look like a target, too. No cell phone on the belt, quality watch, new car, clean clothes or showering more than once per month. All of that makes you a target. We need to keep the bad guys guessing so crumple your jeans and let your dog sleep on them. Key your own car, install bad brake pads and smash a window. Make a sticker of an EBT card and put it over your credit card face, that's the only way to retain the tactical advantage of suprise.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Also never dress well, because that makes you look like a target, too. No cell phone on the belt, quality watch, new car, clean clothes or showering more than once per month. All of that makes you a target. We need to keep the bad guys guessing so crumple your jeans and let your dog sleep on them. Key your own car, install bad brake pads and smash a window. Make a sticker of an EBT card and put it over your credit card face, that's the only way to retain the tactical advantage of suprise.
You forgot to suggest wearing a hoodie over your head, even when the weather is warm.