Thread: Would-be Waffle House robber dies after being shot by customer

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Would-be Waffle House robber dies after being shot by customer

Would-be Waffle House robber dies after having been shot by customer

A Waffle House customer thwarted an early-morning robbery Saturday by fatally shooting the suspect.

“It’s says something about firearms,” said an officer at the scene, “for good people with firearms being in the right hands.” The policeman said he was not authorized to speak for the department.

A restaurant employee expressed gratitude for the customer’s action.
    “He saved us, that’s what he did.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20151010/PC16/151019902
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

But, but, but Awful Waffle is a criminal safety zone, how dare the customer do that!!!!

It will be interesting to learn of the propriety of gun carry at this particular Waffle House, and the franchiser's subsequent actions - to charge or not charge.

ETA: The photo spread did not show the typical no-guns sign,
    http://www.live5news.com/story/30230...nttype=generic
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-11-2015 at 07:42 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

No photo of 19-year-old Joshua Jermaine Davis - the guy that OC'd in GFZ Waffle-House? W/H not pressing charges against the CHL owner for contributing to shooting out some windows? [emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I have asked distant acquaintances at WCSC TV-5 about the possibility of a no-guns sign.

https://vimeo.com/52942414

Back in the Seventies I lived up the road at Donaree Village Apts, back when they were new and full of Yupsters. My shipmate roomie and I filled our parking alcove with our toys, a cherry '60 Vette (paid for his college!), my new Porsche 911, motorcycles, ski-boat and daily drivers. Our neighbors were largely AF pilots/crew flying SEAsia. Which is to say that security was not the issue then that it is now.

Back then, all regular gun carry was prohibited, only special purposes were allowed.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    --snipped--

ETA: The photo spread did not show the typical no-guns sign,
    http://www.live5news.com/story/30230...nttype=generic
    The sign is typically (always?) at the extreme end of the building (facing the parking lot) at or near the roof line. None of these photos shows that area.

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    No photo of 19-year-old Joshua Jermaine Davis - the guy that OC'd in GFZ Waffle-House? --snipped--
    I wouldn't describe J.J. Davis as an OCer. Suspect that he CC'd until he announced the robbery.

I have been told by for now unnamed WH corporate persons that the No Guns policy is a thing of the past. They will go with state law and how a person acts.

I know, I know there are signs and messages from WH that state on no uncertain terms guns are not welcome.

Note that I do OC each and every time I eat at WH locally. Had one minor glitch at a newly opened shop - was asked to leave. Contacted regional office - now I am again welcomed and got a free meal to boot.

Maybe one day our efforts will yield an official/public change in their policy and signage. It is to that end that I work.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    The franchisee's franchise should be yanked by Waffle House corporate. You just can't let your stepchildren violate the rules. Saving lives is not in the best interest of Waffle House's image. We sell food to support life.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    [ ... ]I wouldn't describe J.J. Davis as an OCer. [ ... ]
    Regular open carry is still prohibited in South Carolina and will always be until the profiteering hegemony is broken. It's rice-bowel politics.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Regular open carry is still prohibited in South Carolina and will always be until the profiteering hegemony is broken. It's rice-bowel politics.
    What specific law makes open carry illegal in South Carolina? EDIT....

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    New question??? What court case says this statute is constitutional?
    Last edited by color of law; 10-11-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    [ ... ] New question??? What court case says this statute is constitutional?
    South Carolina is a sovereign state not requiring approval of its statutes but by due process.

You may recall a previous time when South Carolina's sovereignty was questioned, a half-million Americans died to force FedGov on South Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    The franchisee's franchise should be yanked by Waffle House corporate. You just can't let your stepchildren violate the rules. Saving lives is not in the best interest of Waffle House's image. We sell food to support life.
    To my understanding, Waffle House has no franchise restaurants - all are company owned. This has been confirmed verbally with my corporate contact.

"Waffle House franchise opportunities are not currently available on Franchising.com. Fill in the form below to be notified when they become available."
    http://www.franchising.com/wafflehouse/

"....there is no Waffle House franchise. The privately owned company offers stock option grants to its associates, so if you ever want to claim ownership of a Waffle House, you’ll need to go apply for a job there first."
    http://huddlehousefranchising.com/hu...-waffle-house/

South Carolina is a sovereign state not requiring approval of its statutes but by due process.

You may recall a previous time when South Carolina's sovereignty was questioned, a half-million Americans died to force FedGov on South Carolina.
    For 110 years, the numbers stood as gospel: 618,222 men died in the Civil War, 360,222 from the North and 258,000 from the South — by far the greatest toll of any war in American history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/sc...mate.html?_r=0

http://www.civilwar.org/education/ci...asualties.html

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/faq/
    The yankees made secession unlawful after the War of Northern Aggression...who wudda thunk it.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Originally Posted by Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The yankees made secession unlawful after the War of Northern Aggression...who wudda thunk it.
    Let's not go there here - off topic for this thread.

There are already other threads dealing with the subject - look in the Social Lounge.

Back on track somewhat - getting ready to go to a late breakfast at WH for a dose of grease n' eggs - not in SC, but in Va and yes OCing. Maybe in time I'll be able to that when visiting SC.

Armed robber in SC WAffle House stopped by CWP holder

http://counton2.com/2015/10/10/armed...-waffle-house/

A suspect in an attempted early morning robbery has died.

The Charleston County Coroner’s office says 19-year-old Joshua Davis of North Charleston died from a gunshot wound.

Just before 5:00 am Saturday, North Charleston police officers responded to the Waffle House at 6907 Dorchester Road in reference to an armed robbery and shots fired.

When police arrived, officers found the business was robbed, and Davis was shot during the incident.

A preliminary investigation revealed that a customer shot Davis who was armed.

Davis was transported to the hospital, where he later died.

At this time, police say the customer who shot Davis is not facing any charges.

-- Mod merged the threads--
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-14-2015 at 11:47 AM.

ABP three days ago.

Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-14-2015 at 11:46 AM.