Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" S&W .44 Magnum

3" S&W .44 Magnum

Anyone carry one of these fine pieces? I'm on the hunt for the next addition to my small gathering of hand guns and have my heart set on finding a BLUED Model 29 3". They seem to be quite rare. I've come across a few Lew Horton editions, but those are more than double the price of a standard 29. Were there even any BLUED 3" .44's made? I can't find a single 629 3" that's blued, only stainless. I like the TALO edition stainless gun, but I would really like to find a blue one.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

The 600 series S@Ws are all stainless.

You would need to find a model 29 3 inch if you want blue.

Sounds like a find handgun to own.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I believe the snub 29's were the same length as the snub 19's, two, and a half inches.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    I can't say whether there were any blued 29's made in 3".

However, if there were any made, I can guess the problem with finding them: desirability.

I ran into this once upon a time when I wanted a Model 66 in 3". The Model 66 is a stainless .357 Mag in a K-frame. Being a K-frame, they're lighter and a little smaller than the L-frames; thus, easier to carry regularly. A 4" barrel kinda wants to dig into a car seat or chair, depending. A 2" barrel launches them a little slower, and has the short-sight radius problem. A 3" K-frame seems to be considered by many the ideal carry revolver.

Thus, they're rarer than hen's teeth in the marketplace. Oh, they're out there. A quick review of photos on the S&W forum shows a number of fellas who have 4, 5, and 6 of them. They're hogging!!

So, if there were any M 29's made in three-inch, I'm betting the owners are darn reluctant to part with them.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Isn't there a talo Redhawk in 3 inches?

Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-11-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Be warned the shooter/owner of this gun sustained web injury to his hand shooting this gun. To the point of bleeding. He had a follow up video explaining the injury.

I think that with full power loads in the Redhawk, or the 629 gloves would be a good idea.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-11-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member

No Fair!!

No fair posting gun pics on a Sunday that are guaranteed to make a fellow squirm with exquisitely sharp envy and covetousness!

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

uh, citizen...that aint the foto of a firearm doing that...uh, oh here comes grape to 'moderate' me...never mind citizen ya it was the foto...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Be warned the shooter/owner of this gun sustained web injury to his hand shooting this gun. To the point of bleeding. He had a follow up video explaining the injury.

I think that with full power loads in the Redhawk, or the 629 gloves would be a good idea.
    That's my second choice - that exact pistol. I will likely end up with it since money will burn a hole in my pocket if I don't spend it soon, and there are no 3" blue 29's on the market right now save for a Lew Horton edition on gunbroker.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Tell me this is not the sexiest pistol of all time!!!

μολὼν λαβέ

I would probably also consider a Model 57 or 357 in blue (I'd imagine only the 57 is available in blue). I'm a pretty big fan of .41 Magnum as well and I'd probably rather have a blue .41 than a stainless .44. Having the .41 Mag would also be cool because I already own .40 and 10mm

μολὼν λαβέ

A short barreled 44 mag is not on my wish list. But I would love to have one of these.

Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member

Stop!!

Stop with the pictures already!! Auuuggggghhhhhhhhh!!

Y'all are doing that on purpose!!

Last edited by Citizen; 10-11-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Stop with the pictures already!! Auuuggggghhhhhhhhh!!

Y'all are doing that on purpose!!

The pic of that blue Model 29 Lew Horton edition drives me absolutely crazy...It's the perfect carry revolver! Maybe one day I'll find one that's not a Lew Horton so I don't have to pay double...

μολὼν λαβέ

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    --sniped-- I'm a pretty big fan of .41 Magnum as well and I'd probably rather have a blue .41 than a stainless .44. Having the .41 Mag would also be cool because I already own .40 and 10mm
    A .41 Mag is on my wish list too. There is such a history and mystique behind this handgun - Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton .
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A .41 Mag is on my wish list too. There is such a history and mystique behind this handgun - Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton .
    I love .41 Mag. You're right about the history - it's a very interesting round - and very effective. Comes very very close to the performance of a warm .44Mag.

I've seen a grand total of (1) blued Model 57, and it was absolutely beautiful. Identical to the blued Lew Horton .44 above only it's chambered in .41Mag. I wish there were more of them around.

μολὼν λαβέ

I love .41 Mag. You're right about the history - it's a very interesting round - and very effective. Comes very very close to the performance of a warm .44Mag.

I've seen a grand total of (1) blued Model 57, and it was absolutely beautiful. Identical to the blued Lew Horton .44 above only it's chambered in .41Mag. I wish there were more of them around.
    Take a peek at this mod 57 w/4'' barrel - (drool)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=514334688#PIC
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

I have a Ti 41 mag I use for a back packing revolver works well at 27oz,
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

A short barreled 44 mag is not on my wish list. But I would love to have one of these.

I want one also but boy it's hard for me to justify one they are just neat revolvers.

Is that a single action only?

μολὼν λαβέ

Definitely would appear so.

There is a reason that many old revolvers like this were loaded 'five beans in a barrel' = hammer down on an empty cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Definitely would appear so.

There is a reason that many old revolvers like this were loaded 'five beans in a barrel' = hammer down on an empty cylinder.
    Yes they are SA, but since they are centerfire, instead of rimfire, the firing pin can be rested between case heads. Which case they can be loaded fully safely. If dropped the FP cannot strike a primer. Many of the early rimfires, and of course the cap, and ball did not have that option so they were carried with an empty chamber. Except for the 58 Remy which has a hammer notch between each chamber.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Yes they are SA, but since they are centerfire, instead of rimfire, the firing pin can be rested between case heads. Which case they can be loaded fully safely. If dropped the FP cannot strike a primer. Many of the early rimfires, and of course the cap, and ball did not have that option so they were carried with an empty chamber. Except for the 58 Remy which has a hammer notch between each chamber.
    Sounds like you have been there and done that. Appreciate the insight.

You just added to my knowledge base, such as it is.

Founder's Club Member
    And, the Old Army '72.

http://www.ruger.com/service/product...y/RE-OABP.html

Yes it is another reason I having a hard time buying one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast