• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3" S&W .44 Magnum

The Truth

Anyone carry one of these fine pieces? I'm on the hunt for the next addition to my small gathering of hand guns and have my heart set on finding a BLUED Model 29 3". They seem to be quite rare. I've come across a few Lew Horton editions, but those are more than double the price of a standard 29. Were there even any BLUED 3" .44's made? I can't find a single 629 3" that's blued, only stainless. I like the TALO edition stainless gun, but I would really like to find a blue one.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I can't say whether there were any blued 29's made in 3".

However, if there were any made, I can guess the problem with finding them: desirability.

I ran into this once upon a time when I wanted a Model 66 in 3". The Model 66 is a stainless .357 Mag in a K-frame. Being a K-frame, they're lighter and a little smaller than the L-frames; thus, easier to carry regularly. A 4" barrel kinda wants to dig into a car seat or chair, depending. A 2" barrel launches them a little slower, and has the short-sight radius problem. A 3" K-frame seems to be considered by many the ideal carry revolver.

Thus, they're rarer than hen's teeth in the marketplace. Oh, they're out there. A quick review of photos on the S&W forum shows a number of fellas who have 4, 5, and 6 of them. They're hogging!! :)

So, if there were any M 29's made in three-inch, I'm betting the owners are darn reluctant to part with them.

WalkingWolf

Isn't there a talo Redhawk in 3 inches?

[video=youtube;c7z9oTuWg1w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7z9oTuWg1w[/video]

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

[video=youtube;P2CLXyLv5bU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2CLXyLv5bU[/video]

Be warned the shooter/owner of this gun sustained web injury to his hand shooting this gun. To the point of bleeding. He had a follow up video explaining the injury.

I think that with full power loads in the Redhawk, or the 629 gloves would be a good idea.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No Fair!!

No fair posting gun pics on a Sunday that are guaranteed to make a fellow squirm with exquisitely sharp envy and covetousness!

:D

solus

uh, citizen...that aint the foto of a firearm doing that...uh, oh here comes grape to 'moderate' me...never mind citizen ya it was the foto...:eek:

ipse

The Truth

[video=youtube;P2CLXyLv5bU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2CLXyLv5bU[/video]

Be warned the shooter/owner of this gun sustained web injury to his hand shooting this gun. To the point of bleeding. He had a follow up video explaining the injury.

I think that with full power loads in the Redhawk, or the 629 gloves would be a good idea.

That's my second choice - that exact pistol. I will likely end up with it since money will burn a hole in my pocket if I don't spend it soon, and there are no 3" blue 29's on the market right now save for a Lew Horton edition on gunbroker.

The Truth

Tell me this is not the sexiest pistol of all time!!!

E69D0374-6DE7-46A5-B930-FD6B26D76C29.jpg

The Truth

I would probably also consider a Model 57 or 357 in blue (I'd imagine only the 57 is available in blue). I'm a pretty big fan of .41 Magnum as well and I'd probably rather have a blue .41 than a stainless .44. Having the .41 Mag would also be cool because I already own .40 and 10mm :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Stop!!

Stop with the pictures already!! Auuuggggghhhhhhhhh!!

Y'all are doing that on purpose!!

Last edited:

The Truth

Stop with the pictures already!! Auuuggggghhhhhhhhh!!

Y'all are doing that on purpose!!

The pic of that blue Model 29 Lew Horton edition drives me absolutely crazy...It's the perfect carry revolver! Maybe one day I'll find one that's not a Lew Horton so I don't have to pay double...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--sniped-- I'm a pretty big fan of .41 Magnum as well and I'd probably rather have a blue .41 than a stainless .44. Having the .41 Mag would also be cool because I already own .40 and 10mm :)

A .41 Mag is on my wish list too. There is such a history and mystique behind this handgun - Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton .

The Truth

A .41 Mag is on my wish list too. There is such a history and mystique behind this handgun - Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton .

I love .41 Mag. You're right about the history - it's a very interesting round - and very effective. Comes very very close to the performance of a warm .44Mag.

I've seen a grand total of (1) blued Model 57, and it was absolutely beautiful. Identical to the blued Lew Horton .44 above only it's chambered in .41Mag. I wish there were more of them around.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I love .41 Mag. You're right about the history - it's a very interesting round - and very effective. Comes very very close to the performance of a warm .44Mag.

I've seen a grand total of (1) blued Model 57, and it was absolutely beautiful. Identical to the blued Lew Horton .44 above only it's chambered in .41Mag. I wish there were more of them around.

Take a peek at this mod 57 w/4'' barrel - (drool)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=514334688#PIC