• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Threats against universities goes global

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The University of New South Wales (NSW) in Sydney warned that police are responding to a shooting threat published on the popular 4chan image board. The warning is similar to the one posted before the recent mass shooting in the state of Oregon in the US.

“We are treating this incident seriously and have been liaising with the NSW Police through the anti-terrorism and security group and Local Area Command,” said a university statement posted on Facebook.

Online threats against university campuses have surged on a global scale following the recent violence in Oregon. Sweden’s Lund University canceled classes scheduled for Monday afternoon, October 12 after a “serious” online threat was discovered on Sunday afternoon.

University administrators said that an anonymous “threat on Sunday leveled against the university and its students” was found in a campus app and police considered it “very serious.”

https://www.rt.com/news/318337-australia-university-shooting-threat-4chan/

Also cross posted in Australia sub-forum:
New shooting threat sends Australian university campus on high alert

Last edited:

solus

No way...check the Onion...guns were banned, then confiscated Down Under.
unless i missed the sarcasm symbol...:confused:
A common misconception is that firearms are illegal in Australia and that no individual may possess them. Although it is true that Australia has restrictive firearms laws, rifles and shotguns (both of which include semi-automatics), as well as handguns, are all legal within a narrow set of criteria. As of 2015 about 815,000 people had a gun licence in Australia and there were around 3.5 to 5.5 million Registered Firearms in Australia. Most people own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, security work, and target shooting. unquote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

if i did miss the symbol...my heartfelt apologies ~ completely out of character for me, but tendered! :uhoh:

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
if i did miss the symbol...my heartfelt apologies ~ completely out of character for me, but tendered! :uhoh:
We demand the immediate release of Solus.

Register your own account if you wish to post here. :lol: :p

blahpony

This is obviously a total fabrication. Our president has assured us that this only happens in the US, not in any other developed nation.

/sarc

OC for ME

unless i missed the sarcasm symbol...:confused:
A common misconception is that firearms are illegal in Australia and that no individual may possess them. Although it is true that Australia has restrictive firearms laws, rifles and shotguns (both of which include semi-automatics), as well as handguns, are all legal within a narrow set of criteria. As of 2015 about 815,000 people had a gun licence in Australia and there were around 3.5 to 5.5 million Registered Firearms in Australia. Most people own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, security work, and target shooting. unquote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

ipse
Reference to the Onion. ;)

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/australia.php

http://www.sweden.org.za/gun-laws-in-sweden.html

Anywho, Australia is not a place that respects individual liberty, else the "gun buyback" would not have happened in the first instance. Letting you keep your .38 pistol...thanks...better than nothing I guess.

hughntx

This is obviously a total fabrication. Our president has assured us that this only happens in the US, not in any other developed nation.

/sarc

Yeah and we all know everything the president says about these matters is 100% accurate. /sarcasm