• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Stores Liable? Really?

Ken56

Obviously, through all the court proceedings, the name of the guy who did the straw purchase must have come to light.... right?? Has he been arrested yet for that illegal act? I have to wonder how the prosecutor presented the evidence that the dealer knew the guy who actually bought the gun was buying it for the other guy. Seems like he is the one who should have been sued and prosecuted. Maybe I need re-edumacated.

solus

Obviously, through all the court proceedings, the name of the guy who did the straw purchase must have come to light.... right?? Has he been arrested yet for that illegal act? I have to wonder how the prosecutor presented the evidence that the dealer knew the guy who actually bought the gun was buying it for the other guy. Seems like he is the one who should have been sued and prosecuted. Maybe I need re-edumacated.

ken...quote: Collins, the man who purchased the gun, got a two-year sentence after pleading guilty to making a straw purchase for an underage buyer. unquote last sentence in the article...

ipse

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
From what I've heard being reported, Badger Arms has what seems to be an abnormally high number of firearms they have sold being used in criminal acts, and the clerk accepting the 4473 did not notice that the straw buyer first indicated that he was buying it for someone else, then changed his answer. Could it be that the clerk "helped" him correct his answer in order to make the sale?

The clerks in the gun shop I use most often in Northern Virginia are absolutely eagle-eyed when reviewing the form and I have heard that if the inquiry comes back denied that they use some excuse to delay the buyer and call the VA State Police to come in and investigate. This is the way it should be done, IMHO.

To the extent that Badger may value increased sales over adhering to the letter and spirit of the law, they get what they deserve.

solus

From what I've heard being reported, Badger Arms has what seems to be an abnormally high number of firearms they have sold being used in criminal acts, and the clerk accepting the 4473 did not notice that the straw buyer first indicated that he was buying it for someone else, then changed his answer. Could it be that the clerk "helped" him correct his answer in order to make the sale?

The clerks in the gun shop I use most often in Northern Virginia are absolutely eagle-eyed when reviewing the form and I have heard that if the inquiry comes back denied that they use some excuse to delay the buyer and call the VA State Police to come in and investigate. This is the way it should be done, IMHO.

To the extent that Badger may value increased sales over adhering to the letter and spirit of the law, they get what they deserve.

oh, there might be an significantly irate customer if any entity decided to take it upon themselves to involve the nice LEs if my 4473 came back denied and i got stuck defending myself needlessly!!

the system, either run by VA or FBI is only as good as the data input by the minimum wage keypunch operator and to have a business instigate this type of interaction is extremely irresponsible on their part ~ i do not care how their simple minds have justified it.

now if you wish to caveat your statement the business, depending on how the buyer looks, acts, and so forth thus giving a reasonable pretext to notify the nice LEs i might acquiesce, but your expressed blanket statement they do it as a normal course ~ and in your HO is the way it should be done is BS for any business to operate.

remember businesses have been forced to closed for lessor offenses, such as failing to make a cake...

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

Actual we should do away with GCA68 totally and do away with FFLs and the false belief that back ground checks help.

All they are is a impediment to the 2nd.

solus

Actual we should do away with GCA68 totally and do away with FFLs and the false belief that back ground checks help.

All they are is a impediment to the 2nd.

While some bemoan the PPP/CHP concept institutionalized in NC, NC FFLs are not mandated to run someone through NICS as the presented PPP/CHP by the buyer suffices, by ATF guidance.

that some FFL insist is the citizens fault, as well as the big box seller for failing to understand NC statutes, as i have seen Gander's sell firearms even when the buyer has not presented their PPP or CHP.

i concede, there is a bit of subjectivity in the process, but at least those in the direct community have the most pertinent local data on the buyer vice NICS' check.

ipse

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
oh, there might be an significantly irate customer if any entity decided to take it upon themselves to involve the nice LEs if my 4473 came back denied and i got stuck defending myself needlessly!!

the system, either run by VA or FBI is only as good as the data input by the minimum wage keypunch operator and to have a business instigate this type of interaction is extremely irresponsible on their part ~ i do not care how their simple minds have justified it.

now if you wish to caveat your statement the business, depending on how the buyer looks, acts, and so forth thus giving a reasonable pretext to notify the nice LEs i might acquiesce, but your expressed blanket statement they do it as a normal course ~ and in your HO is the way it should be done is BS for any business to operate.

remember businesses have been forced to closed for lessor offenses, such as failing to make a cake...

ipse

Well, opinions are like, umm, noses -- everybody has one. In MY opinion, the potential buyer who has been denied may have committed a crime, especially since they signed the 4473 and verified that everything they entered was the truth under the penalty of perjury. The gun store needs to protect itself against any possible culpability in selling a firearm to a prohibited person. I have no problem with the clerk taking notice of appearance, and I'm sure that the system contains errors that might result in a false denial, but how is that to be determined?

We rail against background checks because even if a potential buyer is denied, few are ever prosecuted. How are they to be prosecuted if the police are never made aware that the attempt was made?

I can't stipulate that every dealer works the way mine does, but my dealer is incredibly professional and does not have "minimum wage keypunch operators" entering the data from the form. As for how a store treats its customers, how else should they react when a customer commits a crime? Is there a difference between shoplifting or committing perjury? Should they not both be investigated by the proper authorities?

solus

Well, opinions are like, umm, noses -- everybody has one. In MY opinion, the potential buyer who has been denied may have committed a crime, especially since they signed the 4473 and verified that everything they entered was the truth under the penalty of perjury. The gun store needs to protect itself against any possible culpability in selling a firearm to a prohibited person. I have no problem with the clerk taking notice of appearance, and I'm sure that the system contains errors that might result in a false denial, but how is that to be determined?

We rail against background checks because even if a potential buyer is denied, few are ever prosecuted. How are they to be prosecuted if the police are never made aware that the attempt was made?

I can't stipulate that every dealer works the way mine does, but my dealer is incredibly professional and does not have "minimum wage keypunch operators" entering the data from the form. As for how a store treats its customers, how else should they react when a customer commits a crime? Is there a difference between shoplifting or committing perjury? Should they not both be investigated by the proper authorities?

i'm sorry...'may have'...wow, just absolutely are you kidding me type of wow is all i can truly say.

the FFL is not held accountable for the customer's alleged perjury nor obligated nor has any iota of responsible to get into the 'might have' or 'what if' or any other kinda of projection game ~ they sell a product, period not act like a foreign investigative entity for the Bundespolizei.

sorry the royal 'we' you used means whom exactly? if the collective 'WE' make sure you scratch my name out of your collective listing.

no the minimum wage keypunch operators are those individuals who enter the data into VA or state level criminal bases the VA, ad nauseam systems use for background checks lots of errors and tough to correct...

let's see...shoplifting...uh, the individual has the the establishment's unpaid article in their immediate possession, perjury ~ the store is going to make leap of faith their customer is lying?? sorry not even a good leap of faith comparison and therefore a resounding NO !

by the way your nose is running and you should wipe it!!

ipse

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

ipse
+1

A purchase being denied can be for a multitude of reasons. Many of which does not implicate the person being denied of any criminal activity. Same name, same birth date and/or same birth city. As every FFL knows, a denial does not implicate wrong doing and there is a procedure to challenge the denial.

Calling the cops and accusing someone of a crime could result in a gun shop being sued for slander.

Just say'n....