Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBC 12 panel discussion on gun control - Oct. 21 at 730pm

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

NBC 12 panel discussion on gun control - Oct. 21 at 730pm

I have been asked to participate in a panel discussion on gun control, hosted by NBC Channel 12 in Richmond. The event will be held on Wednesday, October 21 and should be live streamed on the NBC 12 website. More details to follow...Please feel free to share with others who may be interested.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I'd say good luck, but I know you're going to be inundated with anti's that like to live in fantasy land. My advice, take some Advil or something with you for when the headache hits.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Also, please take the survey ahead of the panel discussion

http://www.nbc12.com/category/300125...nttype=generic (look for the link to the survey)

http://www.logicdepot.com/surveys/ru...ey=9678J-YFSMK (direct link to survey)

Read the survey questions carefully. Remember, things like buying guns over the internet is already legal, carry in church is already legal, active duty military and CHP holders are not the only ones who should be allowed to carry.

Use the comments areas to our advantage by such things as remarking that "assault weapons" are just things that "look scary" to some folks.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I have been asked to participate in a panel discussion on gun control, hosted by NBC Channel 12 in Richmond. The event will be held on Wednesday, October 21 and should be live streamed on the NBC 12 website. More details to follow...Please feel free to share with others who may be interested.
    Jim,

I know you have been through this before but I'd really like to see you a little less polite and interrupt the other panel members when they spout untruths or put up false arguments.

As examples I'm pretty sure they are going to have something about buying guns over the internet, which is currently fully legal. The gun control gang wants people to think the gun is going to be delivered to your door by FedEx/UPS instead of acknowledging that the transfer must go through a FFL who conducts a background check. They are also very likely to make it sound like concealed carry is the only "acceptable" way to carry.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Jim,

I know you have been through this before but I'd really like to see you a little less polite and interrupt the other panel members when they spout untruths or put up false arguments.

As examples I'm pretty sure they are going to have something about buying guns over the internet, which is currently fully legal. The gun control gang wants people to think the gun is going to be delivered to your door by FedEx/UPS instead of acknowledging that the transfer must go through a FFL who conducts a background check. They are also very likely to make it sound like concealed carry is the only "acceptable" way to carry.

stay safe.

I will do my best.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Good luck! We are all counting on you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f1d2ddf2b65c110f0d06884afd625337.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	12804

You'll do just fine! Educate the people!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

now the question everyone is afraid to ask...you going to OC?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    now the question everyone is afraid to ask...you going to OC?

ipse
    All depends on what their rules are.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Looking forward to this.

Somewhat agree with Skid that a take no prisoners approach might be very timely and effective. They will misstate and twist facts at every opportunity.

Have no doubt but that you will do well in any event.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Any way to know others on Panel? Five antis to just you? Format, rules, etc.

http://youtu.be/H_q-aL4xQDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Or...a "pushy" gun nut is what the panel/moderator(s) are looking/hoping for. Calm, polite, yet passionate. A difficult task it will be, or it will be a breeze. I'll be following via the Webernets. Good luck.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Or...a "pushy" gun nut is what the panel/moderator(s) are looking/hoping for. Calm, polite, yet passionate. A difficult task it will be, or it will be a breeze. I'll be following via the Webernets. Good luck.
    Pros hooter is very articulate, calm under fire, professional and hard to fluster. I can't think of a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Pros hooter is very articulate, calm under fire, professional and hard to fluster. I can't think of a better choice.
    Thank you very much. I believe that they will have 4 of us, 2 pro and and 2 anti. There's a forum on same sex marriage on the NBC 12 site that is an example of the same set up, I believe.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Good to know. Please inform all that you will be audio recording the entire event, from first meeting the crowd before the filming starts until you walk out the door.

When the news folks know that the entire interaction is being recorded it more difficult to claim "edited for time" when only one perspective, theirs, is aired.

Again, good luck.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Good to know. Please inform all that you will be audio recording the entire event, from first meeting the crowd before the filming starts until you walk out the door.

When the news folks know that the entire interaction is being recorded it more difficult to claim "edited for time" when only one perspective, theirs, is aired.

Again, good luck.
    oh, nice touch, well played OC4ME, very well played...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Again, good luck.
    Virginia is a one party consent state.

If I were having such a meeting, it would be recorded or I wouldn't agree to be there.

IMHO - no matter the slant of the moderator of the "debate," I think it is good for us. Free publicity/education for the masses and people are just not drinking the Kool-Aid so willingly.

Yes, ProShooter is very well versed and thinks well on his feet.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

GRGRSC had a list of authorized spokesmen that had been trained and tested for their ability to stay on message with carefully crafted sound bites. Ask me if the sky was blue on the day I was carrying my gun and I would answer, "Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and guns and The Truth. God Bless US Bitter Clingers."
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Virginia is a one party consent state.

If I were having such a meeting, it would be recorded or I wouldn't agree to be there.
    I was going to say... pretty sure there is no expectation of privacy on a television broadcast.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I was going to say... pretty sure there is no expectation of privacy on a television broadcast.
    I think that when it is actually televised, the content becomes available subject to copyright laws.

Prior to broadcasting, their house, their rules + they may well have an expectation of privacy in their studios - not unlike a private office.

Were they filming/recording on the street, it would be a different matter.

None of my comments on this should be construed to be a conclusion - just tossing out things.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Jim,

stay safe.

Or politely have some signal you use when someone mis-states facts (or lies) A raised yellow card/red card; "you lie" written on a piece of paper (well, okay, probably not that); you get the idea.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Best of luck ProShooter. From the looks of things, you will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Or politely have some signal you use when someone mis-states facts (or lies) A raised yellow card/red card; "you lie" written on a piece of paper (well, okay, probably not that); you get the idea.
    What about a Red card for a blatant un-truth and Yellow card for a distortion? Will there be penalties?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

On statistics and lies;

Have a look at this, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy [Vol. 30. This is a very well cited paper on the merits of regulation and confiscation.

INTRODUCTION;
    International evidence and comparisons have long been offered as proof of the mantra that more guns mean more deaths and that fewer guns, therefore, mean fewer deaths.
    Unfortunately, such discussions are all too often been afflicted by misconceptions and factual error and focus on comparisons that are unrepresentative.

CONCLUSION;
    This Article has reviewed a significant amount of evidence from a wide variety of international sources. Each individual portion of evidence is subject to cavil—at the very least the
    general objection that the persuasiveness of social scientific evidence cannot remotely approach the persuasiveness of conclusions in the physical sciences. Nevertheless, the burden
    of proof rests on the proponents of the more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death mantra, especially since they argue public policy ought to be based on that mantra.149 To bear that burden would at the very least require showing that a large number of nations with more guns have more death and that nations that have imposed
    stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions in criminal violence (or suicide). But those correlations are not observed when a large number of nations are compared across the world.

Over a decade ago, Professor Brandon Centerwall of the University of Washington undertook an extensive, statistically sophisticated study comparing areas in the United States and Canada to
    determine whether Canada’s more restrictive policies had better contained criminal violence. When he published his results it was with the admonition:

If you are surprised by [our] finding[s], so [are we]. [We] did not begin this research with any intent to “exonerate” handguns, but there it is—a negative finding, to be sure, but a negative
    finding is nevertheless a positive contribution. It directs us where not to aim public health resources.

~Whitney

Last edited by Whitney; 10-14-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Best of luck ProShooter. From the looks of things, you will do well.

What about a Red card for a blatant un-truth and Yellow card for a distortion? Will there be penalties?
    someone goes silent for thirty seconds? for yellow infractions and a full minute for red infractions...

now that would be outstanding...

ipse

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Thank you very much. I believe that they will have 4 of us, 2 pro and and 2 anti. There's a forum on same sex marriage on the NBC 12 site that is an example of the same set up, I believe.
    I'm the other pro-gun panelist. I believe Andrew Goddard will be one of those representing the other side. Not sure who the other one is yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast