• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NBC 12 panel discussion on gun control - Oct. 21 at 730pm

Rusty Young Man

Best of luck ProShooter. From the looks of things, you will do well.:)

Or politely have some signal you use when someone mis-states facts (or lies) A raised yellow card/red card; "you lie" written on a piece of paper (well, okay, probably not that); you get the idea.

What about a Red card for a blatant un-truth and Yellow card for a distortion? Will there be penalties? :p

Whitney

On statistics and lies;

Have a look at this, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy [Vol. 30. This is a very well cited paper on the merits of regulation and confiscation.

INTRODUCTION;
International evidence and comparisons have long been offered as proof of the mantra that more guns mean more deaths and that fewer guns, therefore, mean fewer deaths.
Unfortunately, such discussions are all too often been afflicted by misconceptions and factual error and focus on comparisons that are unrepresentative.

CONCLUSION;
This Article has reviewed a significant amount of evidence from a wide variety of international sources. Each individual portion of evidence is subject to cavil—at the very least the
general objection that the persuasiveness of social scientific evidence cannot remotely approach the persuasiveness of conclusions in the physical sciences. Nevertheless, the burden
of proof rests on the proponents of the more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death mantra, especially since they argue public policy ought to be based on that mantra.149 To bear that burden would at the very least require showing that a large number of nations with more guns have more death and that nations that have imposed
stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions in criminal violence (or suicide). But those correlations are not observed when a large number of nations are compared across the world.

Over a decade ago, Professor Brandon Centerwall of the University of Washington undertook an extensive, statistically sophisticated study comparing areas in the United States and Canada to
determine whether Canada’s more restrictive policies had better contained criminal violence. When he published his results it was with the admonition:

If you are surprised by [our] finding, so [are we]. [We] did not begin this research with any intent to “exonerate” handguns, but there it is—a negative finding, to be sure, but a negative
finding is nevertheless a positive contribution. It directs us where not to aim public health resources.

~Whitney

Last edited:

solus

Best of luck ProShooter. From the looks of things, you will do well.:)

What about a Red card for a blatant un-truth and Yellow card for a distortion? Will there be penalties? :p

someone goes silent for thirty seconds? for yellow infractions and a full minute for red infractions...

now that would be outstanding...

ipse

VCDL President

Centurion
Thank you very much. I believe that they will have 4 of us, 2 pro and and 2 anti. There's a forum on same sex marriage on the NBC 12 site that is an example of the same set up, I believe.

I'm the other pro-gun panelist. I believe Andrew Goddard will be one of those representing the other side. Not sure who the other one is yet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
PVC and ProS - a dynamic duo, both former deputy sheriffs too.

Goddard and friend should look like diced potatoes or wilted lettuce when they leave. :lol:

Can one attend as an audience member? If so how? Would like to attend.

Otherwise will be well stocked with popcorn and soda and will plan to watch it streaming.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
PHP:
Excellent! I was hoping that they would ask you to join the panel.

Rooting for both you and Philip, Jim.
Like Grapeshot said, if we can't be there we'll be watching with popcorn and butter. At least i can eat the butter :lol:

VCDL President

Centurion
Do my best

No doubts that Jim can hold his own quite nicely. He'll respond as he always does - calmly, smiling, and with plenty of logic and reason.

I'm looking forward to it - that will be a whole lot more relaxing than my day was today with McAuliffe banning OC in state agencies, with CC close behind. 1:30 AM - time to hit the hay.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
No doubts that Jim can hold his own quite nicely. He'll respond as he always does - calmly, smiling, and with plenty of logic and reason.

I'm looking forward to it - that will be a whole lot more relaxing than my day was today with McAuliffe banning OC in state agencies, with CC close behind. 1:30 AM - time to hit the hay.

I think that was an infuriating day for all of us - and one that we hope a future Governor erases.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I think that was an infuriating day for all of us - and one that we hope a future Governor erases.
Emotions ran high yesterday though kept within proper bounds. The day was exhausting.

Most felt like they had been bushwhacked - we knew the capacity was there, but the sound of a gun shot and the wizz of the projectile still stimulate the adrenaline dump.

Now we''ll group up and respond accordingly - as trained and conditioned to do. The battle has only just begun.

scouser

I have been asked to participate in a panel discussion on gun control, hosted by NBC Channel 12 in Richmond. The event will be held on Wednesday, October 21 and should be live streamed on the NBC 12 website. More details to follow...Please feel free to share with others who may be interested.

Bumping just to remind people it's tonight