• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Change of address in Wash state, help please

pat

Is there a link to changing your address for concealed pistol license? Or do I have? Changed my drivers license and can't find where to change CPL, if I have to. Also tried "advanced" search but couldn't limit to our state only.

Any help appreciated, thanks

decklin

Is there a link to changing your address for concealed pistol license? Or do I have? Changed my drivers license and can't find where to change CPL, if I have to. Also tried "advanced" search but couldn't limit to our state only.

It's not required by law so I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to here's the link but they charge you for it.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealchange.html

Alpine

I got mine changed because it creates hassles when buying handguns.

golddigger14s

Activist Member

I don't know how. I sell guns to people with outdated addresses all the time with no issue. As long as the the drivers license is updated in the system/online you are good. The only time you update you're CPL is when you renew. DL does not need to be physically changed, just online. I have customers that get on their smart phones, and update their address all the time.

Alpine

Ya but my dl and cpl were both out of date. It's OK but I needed some I'd with updated address

Alpine

Er I mean both my DL and CPL had my old address, though it was the same address. That's totally OK legally, but makes pistol purchases very difficult.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

As others have mentioned, there is now requirement to update your address until you renew. You can optionally update the address but you have to pay for it. I now live in Montana and hold my original WA CPL with my WA address on it, until it expires then ill get a new out of state renewal.

CitizenJohn

Just FYI: A lot of us also have Oregon CHL's and Oregon does require that the Sheriff be notified on any change of address (although a time limit is not mentioned).

ORS 166.295 (2): If a licensee changes residence, the licensee shall report the change of address and the sheriff shall issue a new license as a duplication for a change of address. The license shall expire upon the same date as would the original. [1989 c.839 §10; 1993 c.735 §7; 2007 c.368 §4].

EMNofSeattle

Really? I still have my Kitsap County CPL and my drivers license still has my Kitsap County Address, but I put my Mason County Address on the 4473 and PPA and haven't had a problem.
(at Cabelas they told me that they can look up the DoLs address computer, I changed my DL to my new address but they don't issue a new physical license)

Alpine

Really? I still have my Kitsap County CPL and my drivers license still has my Kitsap County Address, but I put my Mason County Address on the 4473 and PPA and haven't had a problem.
(at Cabelas they told me that they can look up the DoLs address computer, I changed my DL to my new address but they don't issue a new physical license)

I do most of my buying at Outdoor Emporium at 4th Ave in Seattle as they usually have the best sales I've ever seen on handguns. One time I used my vehicle registration another time I got delayed one day. Rather have no issue at all. WA law may be satisfied by updating the DL online and leaving the CPL alone, but the feds don't care about that. At least that's what I've been told.

Last edited: