• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentop door person shoots self

The Truth

I just OC'd at Greentop yesterday. No issue. I've never been questioned or stopped going in there, and I go in there very often always OC. How is it you guys have such a polar opposite experience with them?

Also, really weird story. Interested in hearing more witness testimony. Too early to call the guy a dunce?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just OC'd at Greentop yesterday. No issue. I've never been questioned or stopped going in there, and I go in there very often always OC. How is it you guys have such a polar opposite experience with them?

Also, really weird story. Interested in hearing more witness testimony. Too early to call the guy a dunce?

Never had a problem oc either. The problems have been with demanding receipts and general stupidity by their security people.
The person that assaulted me was not security BTW.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Never had a problem oc either. The problems have been with demanding receipts and general stupidity by their security people.
The person that assaulted me was not security BTW.
So why would said security person be handling a customer's loaded gun if the job for which he was hired entailed checking sales receipts?

The Truth

See, I always check out up front no matter what I'm buying. I never even knew they checked receipts because it's never happened to me. Come to think of it I did pay for a knife at the back once. Don't remember being checked though.

Unfortunate incident. I still don't understand how the heck it happened. That's right at the front door. My little one rode in one of those red plastic car-carts yesterday. Why was a loaded gun being handled there? I've seen deputies hanging out at the entrance plenty of times but not lately. I'm confused. This could have been a heck of a lot worse.

I could only imagine my surprise if I were exiting at the same time.

solus

query...you showed the EMS on scene...were the police there?

foia?

ipse

scouser

So why would said security person be handling a customer's loaded gun if the job for which he was hired entailed checking sales receipts?

could it have been one of those "I'm bringing this in to have some work done on it" "ok well I need to check it's unloaded first" scenarios ?

FBrinson

could it have been one of those "I'm bringing this in to have some work done on it" "ok well I need to check it's unloaded first" scenarios ?

Green Top and Bass Pro both request to check all firearms brought into the building if the purpose is for service or selling. Holstered personal defense firearms are not checked. (from my understanding and experience)

scouser

Green Top and Bass Pro both request to check all firearms brought into the building if the purpose is for service or selling. Holstered personal defense firearms are not checked. (from my understanding and experience)

that's why I was wondering

HPmatt

Inquiring minds want to know?

Maybe management knew the 'checker' needed a paramedic 5' away - did they know how this guy performed his gun clearing 'technique'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
They had a Deputy there all day working. He was standing 2 feet from the fellow that shot himself.

Was that the deputy who is supposed to arrest folks for shoplifting if they refuse to show their receipt? Never could find out if they were "on duty" or working a private security gig in uniform.

Wonder if it might have been the same deputy who put up his hands and walked away from where the checker was trying to physically block me from leaving while I was challenging him to arrest me if he thought I was shoplifting?

stay safe.

TFred

Was that the deputy who is supposed to arrest folks for shoplifting if they refuse to show their receipt? Never could find out if they were "on duty" or working a private security gig in uniform.

Wonder if it might have been the same deputy who put up his hands and walked away from where the checker was trying to physically block me from leaving while I was challenging him to arrest me if he thought I was shoplifting?

stay safe.
I know this is OT... but man you have hit upon one of my major pet peeves. Once you buy something, it is YOURS. Unless someone has an articulable reason to suspect that you actually stole something, they have no more right to demand a receipt as you walk out as they would in the parking lot of the store, or in the parking lot of another store, or on a public street, or in your own home!

Of course a store can ban you for not following their "policy" so that's the risk you take by refusing to play their game.

Other than the big box membership stores - although I have skipped a long line there too, on occasion - whenever I am asked for a receipt, I give them the "Office Space walkaround," without even breaking stride. :)

[video=youtube;3qifUYP234c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qifUYP234c[/video]

TFred

solus

I know this is OT... but man you have hit upon one of my major pet peeves. Once you buy something, it is YOURS. Unless someone has an articulable reason to suspect that you actually stole something, they have no more right to demand a receipt as you walk out as they would in the parking lot of the store, or in the parking lot of another store, or on a public street, or in your own home!

Of course a store can ban you for not following their "policy" so that's the risk you take by refusing to play their game.

Other than the big box membership stores - although I have skipped a long line there too, on occasion - whenever I am asked for a receipt, I give them the "Office Space walkaround," without even breaking stride. :)

[video=youtube;3qifUYP234c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qifUYP234c[/video]

TFred

i was complaining to local Walmart manager earlier this week about the exactly same thing and was told Walmart Corp is working towards instituting the same receipt check concept they use at their SAMs club venues. from the manager's candor, i do not believe it was bravado on their part as they seemed as frustrated about instituting the policy as their customer's will be having to endure the practice.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i was complaining to local Walmart manager earlier this week about the exactly same thing and was told Walmart Corp is working towards instituting the same receipt check concept they use at their SAMs club venues. from the manager's candor, i do not believe it was bravado on their part as they seemed as frustrated about instituting the policy as their customer's will be having to endure the practice.

ipse

Walmart has tried this before to no ones benefit. Failed and now being brought back. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

TFred

ipse
What are they going to do, chase me out into the parking lot and assault me?

TFred

solus

What are they going to do, chase me out into the parking lot and assault me?

TFred

two weeks ago they notified store security on their handitalks and was concerned a) license plates would be recorded. b) local LE notified. c) report taken

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
two weeks ago they notified store security on their handitalks and was concerned a) license plates would be recorded. b) local LE notified. c) report taken

ipse

Time to quit scrunching up the receipt and dropping it on the floor next to the cash register.

Chase me. Have me arrested. Say hello to my attorney. [/Al Pacino voice]

stay safe.

solus

Time to quit scrunching up the receipt and dropping it on the floor next to the cash register.

Chase me. Have me arrested. Say hello to my attorney. [/Al Pacino voice]

stay safe.

didn't have to work too hard on the voice mimic either...nice...:lol:

ipse

Liberty-or-Death

That's exactly right Marco. I have no 1st amendment rights on private property.. the owner makes the rules. I don't like being pushed though, especially when I'm in no shape to push back.
I do not waive my rights when crossing retail thresholds. My presumption is all my rights are retained while on private property just as while on public. If I'm informed prior to entry, I can make an informed decision prior to entering.

If I'm informed otherwise after crossing that invisible line (i.e.: changing the rules in the middle of the game), then I'll comply. If they attempt in any way to interfere with my rights before informing me (i.e.: block the camera, disarm me, use force against me) our after informing me but before I can comply, then my rights have been violated.

They did you wrong, even before shoving you.