• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentop door person shoots self

TFred

two weeks ago they notified store security on their handitalks and was concerned a) license plates would be recorded. b) local LE notified. c) report taken

ipse
All for a person who has not broken ANY law whatsoever. As a taxpayer, I simply cannot tolerate my law enforcement employees being diverted to enforce a private company's receipt checking policy. If that happened to me, you better believe I would be at the next city council meeting to demand that my tax dollars stop being fraudulently wasted on such non-law-enforcement activities.

TFred

WalkingWolf

two weeks ago they notified store security on their handitalks and was concerned a) license plates would be recorded. b) local LE notified. c) report taken

ipse

That is swatting, which I believe is now a federal crime. If you have not broken a law, there is nothing to notify police for.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
TV Nooz says the deputy was working off duty for Greentop, that the customer brought several firearms in to be appraised, and that some other store employee noticed that a "seventeen caliber rifle" (.177??) was loaded and asked the deputy to help clear the chamber. While futzing with the rifle the deputy shot the customer in the hand (not himself) and that "shrapnel" hit a teen standing nearby.

The deputy has been assigned "alternative duties" by the Sheriff and the Commonwealth Attorney is investigating to decide if charges will be brought. (Reckless handling of a firearm resulting in physical injury? http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter4/section18.2-56.1/ )

:uhoh:

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's twice now in recent days - negligence?

Don't point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy. Keep finger away from trigger.

No officer, I really am not comfortable with you handling my gun!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
TV Nooz says the deputy was working off duty for Greentop, that the customer brought several firearms in to be appraised, and that some other store employee noticed that a "seventeen caliber rifle" (.177??) was loaded and asked the deputy to help clear the chamber. While futzing with the rifle the deputy shot the customer in the hand (not himself) and that "shrapnel" hit a teen standing nearby.

The deputy has been assigned "alternative duties" by the Sheriff and the Commonwealth Attorney is investigating to decide if charges will be brought. (Reckless handling of a firearm resulting in physical injury? http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter4/section18.2-56.1/ )

:uhoh:

stay safe.

Story is confusing...this is what wwbt says in writing:
TOP STORIES

3 of 30

prev*next

Man shot while getting appraisal for gun at Green Top in Hanover

Susan Bahorich

Oct 19, 2015 06:09 PM

HANOVER, VA (WWBT) - Hanover County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after one of its deputies was involved in a shooting on Saturday.

Investigators say the victim walked into the Green Top on October 17 around 1:50 p.m.*for an appraisal, when an employee noticed a .17 caliber rifle was loaded. The employee handed the gun to an off-duty officer, who was working in the store, to be cleared. *A sergeant says the deputy, with the help of the gun's owner, was working to clear the chamber when it went off, shooting*the officer*in the hand.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.nbc12.com/story/30294659/man-shot-while-getting-appraisal-for-gun-at-green-top-in-hanover

Strange they should refer to a deputy as "Man".

The President of Green Top says they're conducting an internal investigation and are planning on making changes. The company also issued a statement, saying Green Top holds safety in the highest regard and has "a policy against bringing a loaded firearm into the store clearly posted at the entrance." Moving forward, the company says they will take "all necessary precautions to maximize safety."

The victim was taken to VCU Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

Investigators have not released any information on who was assisting the victim at this time.

The Hanover County Sheriff's Office is ruling the incident as accidental and says the deputy is on regular duty but on an alternate assignment.

1) sounds like there is going to be a change in the rules at Greentop to "No Gunz unless empty and zip tied"

2) "the victim" as opposed to "the deputy"? strange

3) How can the deputy be on regular duty but on an alternative assignment if he has a hole in his hand?

Yes, truly cornfuzing.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
^ ^ I will agree to keep my handgun holstered under most conditions, but tell me I cannot carry loaded and I will shop elsewhere.

The Truth

^ ^ I will agree to keep my handgun holstered under most conditions, but tell me I cannot carry loaded and I will shop elsewhere.

+1

If they change their carry policy based on one freakin' moron they don't deserve another red cent from any of us. I could think of no better time for me to start reloading 10mm anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How many people does it take to unload a varmint rifle?
How many employees does it take to be unsafe with a firearm? If more than one and the performance is repeated, then I think a liability issue is relevant.

Greentop needs to stop the security theater and get real.

sidestreet

Yep, there is a lot of bad reporting going on…,

Story is confusing...this is what wwbt says in writing:
TOP STORIES

3 of 30

prev*next

Susan Bahorich

Oct 19, 2015 06:09 PM

HANOVER, VA (WWBT) - Hanover County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after one of its deputies was involved in a shooting on Saturday.

Investigators say the victim walked into the Green Top on October 17 around 1:50 p.m.*for an appraisal, when an employee noticed a .17 caliber rifle was loaded. The employee handed the gun to an off-duty officer, who was working in the store, to be cleared. *A sergeant says the deputy, with the help of the gun's owner, was working to clear the chamber when it went off, shooting*the officer*in the hand.

probably not much more than other times when several stories come out at once from ever increasingly ignorant sources. It seems that with each shooting there is more and more misinformation, I have to wonder if isn't becoming intentional, confusing, conflicting reports until an interested party simply throws their hands up and wanders away shaking their head.

I've heard several different stories so far. So far, the only one I can count on is that Peter Nap was there and was bum rushed out of the joint in a most unwarranted, dangerous and downright brutal fashion.

When I heard the story at first, I wondered, might the handsome young Photo/Videographer have been there? Sometimes it pays to listen to that little voice. True to an OC tradition, Peter was there, camera at the ready (among other things) to preserve the event for posterity…, and integrity. Many times and many ways he has "been there" for us. Pure luck, coincidence, or was it predestined? I give no countenance to the first two, I have all faith in my Lord and my friend.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs 11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call unto me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
NBC 12 said it was the OWNER that was shot in the hand this morning.

Seems somebody screwed the pooch on those pesky little details.

They said it both ways Taz. The clip I posted was from 12 and they said the officer. Then on air, they said the customer.
Whoever it was, the fellow they put in the rescue squad had a black shirt just like the ones most green tops employees were wearing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
NBC 12 said it was the OWNER that was shot in the hand this morning.

Seems somebody screwed the pooch on those pesky little details.

They said it both ways Taz. The clip I posted was from 12 and they said the officer. Then on air, they said the customer.
Whoever it was, the fellow they put in the rescue squad had a black shirt just like the ones most green tops employees were wearing.
There is no owner of Greentop as in one/singular person.

Could it have been an officer of the corporation who was there to buy or sell a gun? That would fit the officer/employee/customer criteria, but I doubt it. Suspect misinformation in and/or out.

Think if it had been Prout, Brockenbrough, or Hyman we'd have heard by now.

As a footnote - this isn't the Greentop that I grew to love many years ago.