Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog shot, killed in Powell, Wy. Owner wants military honors. Bicyclist not charged.

Dog shot, killed in Powell, Wy. Owner wants military honors. Bicyclist not charged.

"Matthew Bessler's 10-year-old Belgian Malinois named Mike was shot and killed Saturday by a bicyclist who says the dog attacked him."

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/...ming/74126334/

"There were no witnesses, but the Powell man told police he used his bike to shield himself from the attacking dog but finally shot the animal with a revolver from a distance of five to ten feet away.
    [ ... ]
    Bessler does not believe the cyclist's claims that Mike, who was shot in the backside by the biker's bicycle-mounted holstered revolver, was acting aggressively enough to warrant the shooting."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-Wyoming.html

"Mike and Bessler did two tours in Iraq that left both with post-traumatic stress disorder. Nobody witnessed the Saturday shooting. According to the Powell Tribune, the Park County Sheriff’s Office believes the man's actions were justified because he felt threatened by Mike, despite the entry wounds being in the dog's backside. Bessler disputes their findings and hopes, through “civil means,” to find out what exactly happened to Mike.

“I would like to take a civil avenue to go after him — the gentleman that shot him — because Mike was a retired military officer.” Bessler said. “I mean, it’s not just a wrongful use of force.”

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loca...4e388f38b.html

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...sfTr830wTS1qmM

Man-bites-dog is a good standard for news coverage, whether to or not.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-17-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Lotta dog-related articles going around. #doglivesmatter
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    "Mike and Bessler did two tours in Iraq that left both with post-traumatic stress disorder.....
    The dog had PTSD? Didn't the dog have service companion like a cat on a leash?

So many questions.

More info here

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/201...og-attack.html

Freeman said the dogs began to attack one another after escaping under a fence. The owner of one of the dogs tried to restrain his dog and pull it free, but the woman's dog grabbed the man's arm and began to attack him.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Appleton is not in Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Lotta dog-related articles going around. #doglivesmatter

ya the place is going to the dogs...dawg gone it anyway.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

#DogsLivesMatter

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    More info here

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/201...og-attack.html

Freeman said the dogs began to attack one another after escaping under a fence. The owner of one of the dogs tried to restrain his dog and pull it free, but the woman's dog grabbed the man's arm and began to attack him.
    Uhh...Powell, WY <> Appleton, WI.

color of law - You need to make an apology

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    The dog had PTSD? Didn't the dog have service companion like a cat on a leash?
    As a Military Veteran, I find your comment extremely dis-tasteful and totally un-called for. ALL Combat Veterans deserve to be treated with the utmost respect for their service to our Country, and that includes Combat Service Dogs! These two Combat Veterans fought for YOU in the Iraq War, not once, but TWICE, only to come back to what was supposed to be a safe environment, and Mike gets killed by “friendly” fire? Combat Service Dogs have saved more lives than you could ever imagine! I won’t even attempt to try to list the ways these Heroes have earned the respect of our Military Forces and those they have protected. That protection even INCLUDES YOU, which sadly right now includes protecting your right to say the mean and disgusting comment about Mike's PTSD the way you did!

You might be asking, "How did 'that dog' protect me?" Well, in the broad scope of things (the big picture if you will), Mike helped stop those Iraqi soldiers from coming over here and stopping you from saying what you did about Mike. Think about that for a minute.

Shame on you “color of law”! (What an ironic Member ID.) I think you owe both Matthew Bessler and his un-sung War Hero, Mike, an apology.
    Last edited by CAPT FRED CFII; 10-20-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Breath, chill...

ETA dogs belong on a leash, especially dogs with PTSD, the owner should have been charged for reckless conduct.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-20-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

So now we extend Stolen Valor protection to all combat veterans, deserving of "the utmost respect" once reserved for CMH?

Working dogs are just that they are a tool. They are not people no matter who thinks so.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT FRED CFII View Post
    snip...

You might be asking, "How did 'that dog' protect me?" Well, in the broad scope of things (the big picture if you will), Mike helped stop those Iraqi soldiers from coming over here and stopping you from saying what you did about Mike. Think about that for a minute.
    Shame on you “color of law”! (What an ironic Member ID.) I think you owe both Matthew Bessler and his un-sung War Hero, Mike, an apology.
    Capt, first thank you for your service in the 2nd AD during what i presume was its final activity prior to deactivation. so anyway Capt, well i did as you suggested and took a moment or two to think about what you posted...and decided to tell you to soldier, stand, down as you're completely out of line!

the use of animal(s) in the armed forces are quite helpful in accomplishing duties which in some cases save military members lives in combat situations or other hostile environments. however,

they are nothing more than tools, like EOD robots, guns, etc., the military member has in their arsenal at their disposal to accomplish their mission.

sorry, to humanize the animal and want to extend military death courtesies to the animal's remains does a huge disservice to the men and women ~ husbands, fathers, sons, wives, mothers, and daughters who have given their all in their service towards this country.

the apology should go to the iconic 'color of law' for your snide comment.

ipse

PS...by the way CAPT, was that the military rank you held or is that you boasting your status as an instrument rated flight instructor? me thinks the latter.
    Last edited by solus; 10-21-2015 at 08:08 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Without Mike, Bessler may have a harder time dealing with his combat-related medical issues.

“I raised him and trained him as a puppy, and the ability he has to sense some of the issues that I have with seizures, with my PTSD, my TBI (traumatic brain injury) and severe anxiety disorders, how he can calm me down just by him being in my presence,” Bessler said. “He can help take the focus and help change the focus of what’s going on with me and help me calm down or relax me.”
    Something does not add up.

Bessler was away, hunting in the Bighorn Mountains.
    A trained animal, nothing more, nothing less. Mr. Bessler should have better controlled the comings and goings of the animal.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

As a Military Veteran, I find your comment extremely dis-tasteful and totally un-called for. ALL Combat Veterans deserve to be treated with the utmost respect for their service to our Country, and that includes Combat Service Dogs! These two Combat Veterans fought for YOU in the Iraq War, not once, but TWICE, only to come back to what was supposed to be a safe environment, and Mike gets killed by “friendly” fire? Combat Service Dogs have saved more lives than you could ever imagine! I won’t even attempt to try to list the ways these Heroes have earned the respect of our Military Forces and those they have protected. That protection even INCLUDES YOU, which sadly right now includes protecting your right to say the mean and disgusting comment about Mike's PTSD the way you did!

It is comments such as this that give all veterans a bad name.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Bessler says his dog has PTSD (okay, fine, we'll run with that), so that just doubles the already valid argument of: why was the animal not properly fenced?

Even human "war heros" have done things without control, and those with PTSD might perhaps be more likely to do so.

The dog's war record is actually irrelevant, and indeed serves to fuel a claim of self-defense against an animal that has training in "guarding." Without witnesses to the contrary, there is no reason to doubt the bicyclist's version of events unless he has a history of animal abuse or something like that.

Bessler was very experienced with this dog and he should have known better. Shame on him for failing to protect his dog with an adequate fence.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Working dogs are just that they are a tool. They are not people no matter who thinks so.
    This. I love dogs. They are just awesome service animals when trained properly, but they are not humans.

I suppose some people actually believe a police K9 is like a commissioned officer. So does the law in most places, apparently!

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

[ ... ] ... a police K9 is like a commissioned officer. So does the law in most places, apparently!
    Provide a citation to any state law!
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-21-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Emphasis for the hard of reading.

BS.

It's a DOG. That makes it either livestock, a pet or a trained tool/weapon.

A military or police dog is a weapon.

Why aren't these police officers in prison for killing their partners?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b055a6daaff74b
    Hot car + no AC + 'failed" alarm = dead cop dog at a LEO's hand.

If a 'citizen' killed a cop dog, they'd be in prison.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ol-car-n395091
    Zane, a 5-year-old bloodhound, was found dead around 5 pm. ET Thursday at the home of Jerahmy Williams, his handler. NBC affiliate WXIA reported Zane had been stuck in the car for around seven hours.

Police said Williams had come home feeling sick at the end of an overnight shift and fell asleep on the couch — apparently forgetting that Zane was still in the back of his parked patrol car, where temperatures approached the 90s.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...op-car-n409351
    A Texas sheriff's deputy has been fired and an investigation is underway after he forgot to take his police dog out of his patrol car on Sunday, and the dog later died, authorities said.
    I could go on and on with examples, but you get the point.

If a weapon dog is such a HUMAN thing, deserving of bronze stars and such.... then the cops who murder their own dogs should be in prison.

A guy who is attacked by a weapon dog on a public street did the RIGHT thing. Used necessary force to prevent injury or death to himself.

Blind, irrational, jingoism = lame
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 10-21-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96229
    They do get special protection.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=139-05-915
    You'd think requiring 400 hours of training to be an LEO dog dude would prevent LEO dog dudes from murdering their own partners.

Nope.

To be a LEO only requires 720 hours of training
    https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/ind...=15&Itemid=103

No wonder cops murder innocent people. They can't consistently keep their own dogs alive after 400 hours of training.

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

FLEAPA Federal regulation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96229&page=1

Kid gets 23 years for killing police dog

http://theantimedia.org/kid-shoots-r...paid-vacation/

Operative word in my claim is "like" a commissioned officer. State laws regarding killing a police service animal are pretty easy to find and range from simple misdemeanors to 3rd degree felonies.

Here is a link to state laws regarding killing police service animals:

http://www.policek9.com/html/statutes.html

μολὼν λαβέ

These two Combat Veterans fought for YOU in the Iraq War
    Not good rhetoric.

Operative word in my claim is "like" a commissioned officer. State laws regarding killing a police service animal are pretty easy to find and range from simple misdemeanors to 3rd degree felonies.

And yet I never hear of a human police officer ending up in prison for murdering a non-human police officer.

Everyone animal equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Things that make ya go Hmmmm.

I raise you this:

http://www.wtae.com/news/trial-conti...e-dog/31712600
    A man convicted of fatally stabbing Rocco, the Pittsburgh police K-9 officer, has been sentenced to 17 years, 9 months to 44 years in prison.
    http://fox8.com/2015/03/25/bench-tri...f-k-9-partner/
    Montville Police K-9 Beny died in September after he was left in Harrison’s cruiser for more than four hours...

Montville Sgt. Brett Harrison was found guilty of negligently depriving a companion animal and not guilty of needlessly killing a companion animal.

He was fined $500 and did not receive any jail time.
    Situation normal, when cops and judges cash checks signed by the same boss.

WY may not have such a statute, WI may not either. But, in MO we have such a statute.

Beginning January 1, 2017--Assault on a police animal--penalties.

http://moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/statht...olice%20animal
    There is a Until Dec 31 2016 statute.

Ask a cop, injure or kill a cop dog while protecting yourself from one of these uncontrollable deadly weapons is a Class E felony in MO. I believe that cops will react to me "resisting" a dogs arrest as if I were resisting a human cops' arrest.

Cop dogs are uncontrollable deadly weapons and their use must be banned nation wide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast