Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New Guy

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    4

    New Guy

    Hello everyone. I'm the new guy.

    I just moved to OH a few weeks ago from Texas. I moved up here to take a contract position that is only going to last 2-3 years. I still own a home in Texas that I rent and for tax purposes, my state of residence (according to my license) will stay as Texas.

    My question is: since I live here and technically have a residence here, am I able to apply for an OH CHL or would I have to change my license over? I know there is an open carry, but it's limited as to where I can take it.

    I do not have a CHL from Texas, so I can't use the reciprocity.

    Thanks in advance!

    Bryan

  2. #2
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_roberts View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm the new guy.

    I just moved to OH a few weeks ago from Texas. I moved up here to take a contract position that is only going to last 2-3 years. I still own a home in Texas that I rent and for tax purposes, my state of residence (according to my license) will stay as Texas.

    My question is: since I live here and technically have a residence here, am I able to apply for an OH CHL or would I have to change my license over? I know there is an open carry, but it's limited as to where I can take it.

    I do not have a CHL from Texas, so I can't use the reciprocity.

    Thanks in advance!

    Bryan
    Ohio now issues non-resident licenses to those who work in Ohio but are not residents, so you could get an Ohio license by virtue of your job as I understand it, even if what you are doing does not constitute being a resident of Ohio.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,726
    Employed in Ohio or Moving Out of State

    2923.125. (F) (4) An applicant for a renewal concealed handgun license under this section shall submit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides, or in the case of an applicant who resides in another state to the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license, a nonrefundable license fee as described in either of the following:

    (a) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for five or more years, a fee of fifty dollars;

    (b) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for less than five years or who is not a resident of this state but who is employed in this state, a fee of fifty dollars plus the actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation.

    (5) The concealed handgun license of a licensee who is no longer a resident of this state or no longer employed in this state, as applicable, is valid until the date of expiration on the license, and the licensee is prohibited from renewing the concealed handgun license.

    Note: If employed in Ohio you can get an Ohio Permit/License. You apply just like a resident but must prove employment in Ohio. If you move out of state or leave your job in Ohio your Ohio permit/license remains valid until it expires.

    Note: Ohio Sheriff’s can also issue an emergency license for those with a justifiable need without the training etc if they can demonstrate that need even if you are not a resident of Ohio but present in the state. Talk to your local Sheriff. For more information on Emergency Licenses See Sec. 2923.1213.
    Last edited by color of law; 10-17-2015 at 10:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,726
    Do NOT list your Ohio address (residents) on the application. List your Texas address. Also, You will have to file an Ohio income tax return.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Do NOT list your Ohio address (residents) on the application. List your Texas address. Also, You will have to file an Ohio income tax return.
    I expect that last stipulation is why the statehouse agreed to these latest changes in the law. Money money money.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the information, everyone.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Do NOT list your Ohio address (residents) on the application. List your Texas address. Also, You will have to file an Ohio income tax return.
    "Residents" might be residence?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    4
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, I do not need to have an official residence in OH as long as I can prove I'm working here? Everywhere I have read states "a minimum of 30 days in county and 45 in state".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_roberts View Post
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, I do not need to have an official residence in OH as long as I can prove I'm working here? Everywhere I have read states "a minimum of 30 days in county and 45 in state".
    Correct. The 30 and 45 day requirements were removed with the changes to Ohio law that went into effect on March 23rd of this year.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •