• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel From Utah to Washington

The Macf

Hello,

Been looking at the legislation 166.250 and trying to decipher the rules for vehicle carry on my trip home in February 16.

I have a FL CWP which is good for UT and ID so I can carry loaded in my under steering wheel holster.

Hit the OR/ID border on 84 and have to put the loaded (one in the chamber) pistol either in a belt holster and take off my coat while driving or in the locking center console of my truck until I hit WA, correct?

When I stop for gas, I can then leave the loaded pistol in my OWB holster and walk around.

Thanks,

Chris

mnrobitaille

Washington does not have reciprocity with Florida, so once in Washington you'll have carry unloaded in car.

Since you are driving via I-84 in Oregon are you going to drive into Washington on I-82? Or are you going to drive into the Portland Metroplex (I-205/I-5)?

The Portland Metroplex has regulations on the books where no one but those who have a Valid Oregon CHL can carry loaded (even in their personal vehicles).

Last edited:

The Macf

Washington does not have reciprocity with Florida, so once in Washington you'll have carry unloaded in car.

Since you are driving via I-84 in Oregon are you going to drive into Washington on I-82? Or are you going to drive into the Portland Metroplex (I-205/I-5)?

The Portland Metroplex has regulations on the books where no one but those who have a Valid Oregon CHL can carry loaded (even in their oersonal vehicles).

Yes, I'll stay on the east side. I know all about the RCW's. I was just curious about Oregon. Loaded in a OCW holster is okay in a car, but off body is not okay, correct?

mnrobitaille

Yes, I'll stay on the east side. I know all about the RCW's. I was just curious about Oregon. Loaded in a OCW holster is okay in a car, but off body is not okay, correct?

Here's what is listed on Handgunlaw.us about Oregon:

From the Oregon Firearms Federation:
OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is: (a) Not concealed or (b) “Not readily accessible.”
“Not readily accessible" (for now) means:
(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle. (b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if: (A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.
However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible."
State Law.
166.250 Unlawful Possession of Firearms.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person; (b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or (c) Possesses a firearm and: (A) Is under 18 years of age; (B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and (ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section; (C) Has been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony; (D) Was committed to the Department of Human Services under ORS 426.130; or (E) Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness. (2) This section does not prohibit: (a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm: (A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian; or
(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or (b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person's place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person's place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters. (3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section. (4) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [Amended by 1979 c.779 §4; 1985 c.543 §3; 1989 c.839 §13; 1993 c.732 §1; 1993 c.735 §12; 1999 c.1040 §1; 2001 c.666 §§33,45; 2003 c.614 §8]
Note: Law states as a residence. That could mean parked and not in motion. Once it is in motion they may consider it a vehicle and not a residence.

I have seen references elsewhere online (oregonlaws.us) that states "belt holster" is ok, I was just in the Hermiston/Pendleton area & I was OCing IWB but I did not have any LEO interactions to test the legality of the IWB OC. I am thinking that to be safe, it'd be best to OWB OC.

Unlike you, I will be traveling to the Portland Metroplex/Multinomah County, so I'll have to unarm as soon as I cross the Multinomah County line. My route will be via the I-84 Corridor, but I will be entering Oregon from Washington via I-82 & proceeding to Portland.

Last edited:

The Macf

Here's what is listed on Handgunlaw.us about Oregon:

From the Oregon Firearms Federation:
OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is: (a) Not concealed or (b) “Not readily accessible.”
“Not readily accessible" (for now) means:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unloks with a key.

fAs used in this subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters. (3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section. (4) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [Amended by 1979 c.779 §4; 1985 c.543 §3; 1989 c.839 §13; 1993 c.732 §1; 1993 c.735 §12; 1999 c.1040 §1; 2001 c.666 §§33,45; 2003 c.614 §8]
Note: Law states as a residence. That could mean parked and not in motion. Once it is in motion they may consider it a vehicle and not a residence.

I have seen references elsewhere online (oregonlaws.us) that states "belt holster" is ok, I was just in the Hermiston/Pendleton area & I was OCing IWB but I did not have any LEO interactions to test the legality of the IWB OC. I am thinking that to be safe, it'd be best to OWB OC.

So basically I can cross the state line and lock it in the center console, or drive 4 hours in an OWB.

mnrobitaille

So basically I can cross the state line and lock it in the center console, or drive 4 hours in an OWB.

Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

What exactly do they consider a belt holster?

I just wonder what happens if a person only has an IWB & their vehicle has no lockable compartment?

Thankfully I have a OWB Holster for my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9, I just do not like using it all the time as I do not like the added attention (mostly negative) I get when utilizing it as it shows more compared to carrying IWB.

The Macf

What exactly do they consider a belt holster?

I just wonder what happens if a person only has an IWB & their vehicle has no lockable compartment?

Thankfully I have a OWB Holster for my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9, I just do not like using it all the time as I do not like the added attention (mostly negative) I get when utilizing it as it shows more compared to carrying IWB.

That's how I feel to. I'll just buy a cheapie to use until I get my Washington CWP.

mnrobitaille

That's how I feel to. I'll just buy a cheapie to use until I get my Washington CWP.

You have less of a dilemma than I do, as I'll be spending 5 days in Portland while staying at a hotel. Thankfully just got off the phone with the Assistant General Manager of the hotel, & I will have no problems securing my firearm in the room. From the sounds of it, he was impressed that I decided to call ahead & ask about the policies & to notify them in advance that I would have my firearm with me. He asked the General Manager if there would be any problems with policies, before calling me & was glad to hear I understood the rules pertaining to firearms there.

I dislike the idea of traveling 6 hours away from home without a means to defend myself, family, or property.

Last edited: