• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prosecutor jailed for wrongfully convicting a man

stealthyeliminator

I'm sure this comes to no surprise to any member here, but apparently prosecutors (or police officers) that engage in misconduct in trial are rarely ever punished, and are sometimes rewarded instead, even if the misconduct sends innocent people to jail. In this case, it seems as though just a sliver of justice was finally obtained, so many years later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-godsey/for-the-first-time-ever-a_b_4221000.html

Grim_Night

In today's deal, Anderson pled to criminal contempt, and will have to give up his law license, perform 500 hours of community service, and spend 10 days in jail. Anderson had already resigned in September from his position on the Texas bench.

So the wrongly convicted man loses 25 years of his life, while Anderson goes to jail for 10 days and serves 500 hours of community service? Yeah, that's totally fair... /sarcasm

OC for ME

What makes today's plea newsworthy is not that Anderson engaged in misconduct that sent an innocent man to prison. Indeed, while most prosecutors and police officers are ethical and take their constitutional obligations seriously, government misconduct--including disclosure breaches known as Brady violations--occurs so frequently that it has become one of the chief causes of wrongful conviction.
rotfl.gif
Oh man...too funny.
rotfl.gif

Wait for it...
What's newsworthy and novel about today's plea is that a prosecutor was actually punished in a meaningful way for his transgressions.
This guy is killing me...way too funny.
rotfl.gif
In a meaningful way...please stop!
rotfl.gif

stealthyeliminator

rotfl.gif
Oh man...too funny.
rotfl.gif

Wait for it...This guy is killing me...way too funny.
rotfl.gif
In a meaningful way...please stop!
rotfl.gif

It is more meaningful than the status quo. Albeit, given the state of the status quo, it doesn't take much to be more meaningful.

Like I said, just a sliver of justice.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Radley Balko, and perhaps, Will Grigg, have written about prosecutorial abuses--and the lack of accountability. Google is your friend in these things.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm sure this comes to no surprise to any member here, but apparently prosecutors (or police officers) that engage in misconduct in trial are rarely ever punished, and are sometimes rewarded instead, even if the misconduct sends innocent people to jail. In this case, it seems as though just a sliver of justice was finally obtained, so many years later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-godsey/for-the-first-time-ever-a_b_4221000.html

Antonin Scalia is on record as saying that there is no proof America ever executed an innocent man. Weasel words if I ever heard any.

The Innocence Network has won the exoneration of some 250 people in recent years, mainly by forcing DNA testing. Some of those people were on death row. The man in the OP was on death row.

Some prosecutors fight tooth-and-nail to prevent the Innocence Network from re-opening a case. A common refrain from prosecutors fighting the Innocence Network is, "He was convicted by a jury of his peers..."

Back in the 1990's, Todd Wallingham was convicted of capital murder based in large part on the testimony of arson experts (his kids died in a house fire). He was eventually put to death. While he was on death row, the "science" of burn patterns that was used to convict was called into question by the arson investigation industry. Basically, they figured out certain burn patterns on floors were not caused by accelerants (gasoline, kerosene); they were cause by super-heated air charging across a ceiling with sufficient velocity to travel down the walls and burn the floor. This was all developed while Wallingham was still on death row. Texas refused to review the case in light of the new discoveries, and executed him. Notably, the warden in charge of killing Wallingham has gone public saying he is no longer convinced Wallingham was guilty. Now that is saying something. Radley Balko covered this case quite a bit.

Rusty Young Man

It is more meaningful than the status quo. Albeit, given the state of the status quo, it doesn't take much to be more meaningful.

Like I said, just a sliver of justice.

Nothing but fumes by comparison. Toxic, toxic fumes. I see your point though.

What else is to be expected when success is measured by the number of prosecutions, not the upholding of the law?

Last edited: