Thread: Police: Pastor shoots, kills attacker in church

Police: Pastor shoots, kills attacker in church

A Detroit church service turned tragic today when a man with a brick went after the pastor, but likely didn’t anticipate what would follow: the pastor pulled out a semiautomatic pistol and fatally shot the man, police said.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015...urch/74197876/
    Pastor remains in custody.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Citizen's defensive shooting: Arrest now, investigate later.
    LEO's defensive shooting: Investigate for six months, then arrest if unavoidable.

The pastor may not have been innocent of instigation. He is alleged to have been porking the shooter's ol' lady.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The pastor may not have been innocent of instigation. He is alleged to have been porking the shooter's ol' lady.
    Confused? The pastor was the shooter.

.....been porking giving spiritual instruction to the shooter's other's ol' lady.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Confused? The pastor was the shooter......been porking giving spiritual instruction to the shooter's other's ol' lady.
    Right, the bricklayer's ol' lady.

Banned
    When I first read it, I wondered if deadly force was absolutely necessary at the time the trigger was pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by taxman View Post
    When I first read it, I wondered if deadly force was absolutely necessary at the time the trigger was pulled.
    A mere citizen does not suffer a proportional force or continuum of force requirement in the employ of deadly force. A citizen should use force sufficient only to deliver himself from evil, that the perp may take the celestial dirt-nap is unfortunate.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...vice/74190782/

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...art_river_home

Regardless of whose baby it was, and despite the possibility that a little violation of commandments VII and X might be going on, doesn't give the attacker the right to come at someone with a brick. I think the pastor was right in this, even though it adds commandment VI to his uh-oh list.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP Citizen's defensive shooting: Arrest now, investigate later.
    Hey! Quit tryin' to get me arrested!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

some nonsense about throwing bricks and glass houses comes to mind...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

A citizen should not live in a glass house - makes everything visible to others.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-19-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Citizen's defensive shooting: Arrest now, investigate later.
    LEO's defensive shooting: Investigate for six months, then arrest if unavoidable.
    Technically it is a "The officer was justified...but, we'll go ahead and investigate anyway. Why, cuz it is a little box on the report that needs to be checked, a administrative exercise, nothing more."
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gentlemen, we are crossing an anti LEO line here.

Chesterfield PD has not been extreme for sweeping the dirt under the carpet.
    What on earth are you referring to? Chesterfield PD? Is there a Chesterfield PD in Detroit? anti-LEO? Where? Are you in the wrong thread?

What on earth are you referring to? Chesterfield PD? Is there a Chesterfield PD in Detroit? anti-LEO? Where? Are you in the wrong thread?
    Yep, wong thread. My bad. Deleted it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    I think the pastor was right in this, even though it adds commandment VI to his uh-oh list.
    Well, is he in the right, or did he violate the do not murder clause?

("Thou shalt not kill" is a horrible mistranslation.)

... ("Thou shalt not kill" is a horrible mistranslation.)
    +1

Banned
    Bricklayer's cousin says Pastor was Bricklayer's mentor?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ing-assailant/

The rumors kind of remind me of the Pastor in "M*A*S*H Goes to Maine", whom a parishioner found 'marriage counseling' his wife and ended the counseling session by sticking a miniature flagpole in his chest. The minister and his wife did so much 'marriage counseling' around the town that they were responsible for about half the gonorrhea cases in the area.

You are 100% correct and there is enough evidence to think the Pastor set the guy up for this confrontation prior to it happening, this is why he was arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

Mentor someone so you can do his wife and church member a very creepy Pastor at best.

Bricklayer's cousin says Pastor was Bricklayer's mentor?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ing-assailant/

The rumors kind of remind me of the Pastor in "M*A*S*H Goes to Maine", whom a parishioner found 'marriage counseling' his wife and ended the counseling session by sticking a miniature flagpole in his chest. The minister and his wife did so much 'marriage counseling' around the town that they were responsible for about half the gonorrhea cases in the area.