Thread: open carry in meijer

open carry in meijer

Anyone open carry in meijer? Tonight in lima will be my first time..it's been going well but for some reason I suspect I may have trouble at meijer....

Have a body cam or mic running.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb4387 View Post
    Anyone open carry in meijer? Tonight in lima will be my first time..it's been going well but for some reason I suspect I may have trouble at meijer....
    Meijer's policy regarding OC is fine. That's not to say that you won't run into a uninformed/misinformed employee - but that's all part of OCing.

I've tried to find a policy concerning it but no luck. I'll just go for it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Meijer's policy regarding OC is fine. That's not to say that you won't run into a uninformed/misinformed employee - but that's all part of OCing.
    This. Being from Michigan, I OC in my local Meijer all the time. Never had an issue. They have the usual "follow state law" policy according to one of the asst. managers.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I OC in Meijer all the time. I don't shop at Kroger.

t

it went well. out curiosity may i ask why you dont shop at kroger?

it went well. out curiosity may i ask why you dont shop at kroger?
    Read the PDF and you will catch the drift.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...for-O-C-arrest

oh wow....ok. ive been shopping at kroger since they refused the moms demand push and took the stance of respecting state law. open especially

oh wow....ok. ive been shopping at kroger since they refused the moms demand push and took the stance of respecting state law. open especially
    When the hierarchy of any corporation or government agency fails to properly train their personnel then such lack of training will usually result in someone's rights being violated.

Me and my wife open carry all the time in all the Meijer's in the Dayton area. Never had an issue!

I open carry at Kroger. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
    I open carry at Kroger. No problem.
    And as you know after all this time carrying, it may never be an issue for you. I mostly go to the same Kroger store, and see the same security guy. Actually I think I've met a total of three people in that position there. Only one ever said a word, first time he saw me. And that was basically along the lines of 'Oh, you're the open carry guy that my coworker said I might see. Glad he dialed me in, I wasn't aware that is legal.'

But who knows what might happen if say a different company got that contract. I still own and use a voice recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    And as you know after all this time carrying, it may never be an issue for you. I mostly go to the same Kroger store, and see the same security guy. Actually I think I've met a total of three people in that position there. Only one ever said a word, first time he saw me. And that was basically along the lines of 'Oh, you're the open carry guy that my coworker said I might see. Glad he dialed me in, I wasn't aware that is legal.'

But who knows what might happen if say a different company got that contract. I still own and use a voice recorder.
    I'm getting
    One soon. I'm a little confused though...what do you mean by a different company getting the contract? Is kroger franchised? I would expect most managers would change their thinking once confronted with a copy of their official policy and the ! DO comments on carry.

I'm getting
    One soon. I'm a little confused though...what do you mean by a different company getting the contract? Is kroger franchised? I would expect most managers would change their thinking once confronted with a copy of their official policy and the ! DO comments on carry.
    I was referring to the security company's contract to "protect" Kroger and its patrons with guards. Around here the outfit which does so presently is called Securitas. No idea if/when that might change.

Securitas was Pinkerton, Burns, Loomis, Fargo, ... but not Wackenhut.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

So basically u CAN NOT open carry in any place where beer or liquor is sold without a cpl. Just sent my app in yesterday hope it don't take a long time to get back new to forum from riverview mi here

Quote Originally Posted by Greene32 View Post
    So basically u CAN NOT open carry in any place where beer or liquor is sold without a cpl. Just sent my app in yesterday hope it don't take a long time to get back new to forum from riverview mi here
    Applies to OHIO: "NO. You can't carry PERIOD without a license ANYWHERE alcohol is sold/available for CONSUMPTION ON PREMISES. That requires a Class "D" liquor permit. Just selling alcohol doesn't not make it so you are required to have a license. Meijer doesn't do wine tastings (at least around here, maybe elsewhere) so OC is fine in Meijer." :OHIO only.

Edit: just noticed you are from Michigan. My statement applies to OHIO law. I do not know Michigan law. Perhaps you should ask in the MICHIGAN forum.
    Last edited by JustJack; 11-27-2015 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greene32 View Post
    JustJack's answer is correct.

For more information, here's a link: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

Read the Attorney General's booklet however, just in case there are any inaccuracies at the above link: http://tinyurl.com/ont3a26

I've carried in several Meijers around the Dayton area and never had an issue. I've also carried at one or two Krogers (two of my local ones have signs posted though) in the area with no issues. I even carried in my bank a few times till I noticed a sign on the front door. Very small, transparent on tinted glass and in the lowest right corner of the door. But no one inside ever bothered me.