• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying of sidearm on the I-84/I-5 Corridor

mnrobitaille

Am gonna be traveling to Multinomah County/Portland Metroplex next week to attend the ARBA National Convention being held at the Portland Expo Center. From my reading/understanding, a person can lawfully OC a loaded sidearm in Oregon without the need of having a CHL. However Multinomah County/Portland Metroplex seem to have regulations on the books that basically the only ones allowed to carry must have the Oregon CHL or be LEO. Being that I've driving to/from Portland, any suggestions/ideas?

CitizenJohn

Am gonna be traveling to Multinomah County/Portland Metroplex next week to attend the ARBA National Convention being held at the Portland Expo Center. From my reading/understanding, a person can lawfully OC a loaded sidearm in Oregon without the need of having a CHL. However Multinomah County/Portland Metroplex seem to have regulations on the books that basically the only ones allowed to carry must have the Oregon CHL or be LEO. Being that I've driving to/from Portland, any suggestions/ideas?

Unload the pistol; unload all magazines; lock the pistol in your trunk. See ORS 166.250 for more detailed information.

mnrobitaille

Update about securing of firearm at hotel

I decided to call the hotel that we'll be staying at & as the management staff was in a meeting, left a voicemail asking about their policy for storing of firearms. Received a call back from the Assistant General Manager, who verified with the General Manager, that I will have no issues securing my firearm in our room during our stay. I explained to him that I read & understood the rules that the City of Portland has placed concerning carrying of firearms & that my plan for bringing the firearm on premises was within regulations.

As a courtesy I gave him my name & when I was checking in so he could let the front desk staff know about me coming in with the firearm, so they would not be alarmed by it.

mnrobitaille

Unload the pistol; unload all magazines; lock the pistol in your trunk. See ORS 166.250 for more detailed information.

Don't you mean I should read 14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place?

I do not see anything which prohibits the carrying of an unloaded sidearm in Portland, & as to the unloading of the magazines, as per Oregon Revised Statutes as long as the loaded magazine is not inserted into firearm, the firearm is unloaded.

The discussion about loaded magazines was already done at: Oregon - go to jail for a loaded clip/magazine ?!?