Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Hearing Protection Act

Proposed Hearing Protection Act

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...protection-act

Holy crap, the NRA does something good for a change!

Prevailing regulations requires buyers to send an application to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), pay a $200 tax, and pass an arduously time consuming ATF background check. Under Salmon’s bill there will be no application, no tax, and buyers would be required to pass the same National Criminal Instant Background Check (NICS) as law-abiding guns owners.
    While I don't agree with the NICS part, the rest of it is awesome.

http://americansuppressorassociation...-from-the-nfa/

The HPA also includes a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchase a suppressor after October 22, 2015.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-13-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Slightly modified title - doing so helped w/thread merge
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

HR 3799 The Hearing Protection Act of 2015

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c114:H.R.3799:

The Library of Congress > THOMAS Home > Bills, Resolutions > Search Results
    Bill Text
    114th Congress
    H.R.3799.IH
    H.R.3799 -- Hearing Protection Act of 2015 (Introduced in House - IH)

HR 3799 IH

114th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 3799

To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

October 22, 2015

Mr. SALMON (for himself, Mr. GUINTA, Mr. CARTER of Texas, Mr. KELLY of Pennsylvania, Mr. COLLINS of New York, Mr. THOMPSON of Pennsylvania, Mr. HUELSKAMP, Mr. FRANKS of Arizona, Mrs. LOVE, Mr. LAMALFA, and Mr. STEWART) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Ways and Means, and in addition to the Committee on the Judiciary, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL

To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Hearing Protection Act of 2015'.

SEC. 2. EQUAL TREATMENT OF SILENCERS AND FIREARMS.

(a) In General- Section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking `(7) any silencer' and all that follows through `; and (8)' and inserting `; and (7)'.

(b) Effective Date-

(1) IN GENERAL- The amendment made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

(2) TRANSFERS- In the case of the tax imposed by section 5811 of such Code, the amendment made by this section shall apply with respect to transfers after October 22, 2015.

SEC. 3. TREATMENT OF CERTAIN SILENCERS.

Section 5841 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(f) Firearm Silencers- A person acquiring or possessing a firearm silencer in accordance with Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, shall be treated as meeting any registration and licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act (as in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this subsection) with respect to such silencer.'.

SEC. 4. PREEMPTION OF CERTAIN STATE LAWS IN RELATION TO FIREARM SILENCERS.

Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: `Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.'.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

perhaps this could help bring the price of suppressors down?

How is a suppressor like a long gun?
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

A suppressor would make my pistol longer.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    And you know how the anti's project their inadequacies.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    perhaps this could help bring the price of suppressors down?
    Check the prices in the countries where they are legal they are cheap/

They are easy to make a CNC lathe mill can turn out the parts in short order.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

There are lies behind the current regulations on suppressors. It will take years for this legislation to pass, if it ever does. There are no lies or even an attempt at excusing the regulations on SBR's, the anti's can't think of a reason really. So for the life of me I can't see why they don't add SBR's to the hearing protection act. The SBR thing goes back to when they were trying to ban handguns.
    Last edited by 77zach; 10-26-2015 at 07:21 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    How is a suppressor like a long gun?
    Depends on the style, load and other factors.

They work.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

While I don't agree with the NICS part, the rest of it is awesome.

Most likely only from dealers they are not hard to make. parts kits might need a bit of work like 80 percent receivers just easier.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 10-26-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    There are lies behind the current regulations on suppressors. It will take years for this legislation to pass, if it ever does. There are no lies or even an attempt at excusing the regulations on SBR's, the anti's can't think of a reason really. So for the life of me I can't see why they don't add SBR's to the hearing protection act. The SBR thing goes back to when they were trying to ban handguns.
    Well have to start some place

H.R.3799 - Hearing Protection Act of 2015

Hi all,

I was just watching a video on youtube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6seyqPU_F0 about this new bill that a "pro gun group" is trying to pass. Im wondering what you all think about the possibility of it passing. Should be a good topic up for debate.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...m-suppressors/

On October 22 Representative Rep. Matt Salmon (R-AZ)88%
    (R-AZ-5) announced the Hearing Protection Act (HPA), a bill aimed at removing suppressors from National Firearms Act oversight so Americans can more easily acquire them for hearing protection while target shooting or hunting.
    Last edited by crackersillo; 11-12-2015 at 11:31 PM.

There is no legitimate reason for noise suppressors to be regulated to the point that they are.

I think it is a great idea.

Sent from my Sony Xperia using Tapatalk 4

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    There is no legitimate reason for noise suppressors to be regulated to the point that they are.

I think it is a great idea.

Sent from my Sony Xperia using Tapatalk 4
    I'll strengthen the statement to: "There is no legitimate reason for noise suppressors to be regulated!"
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I'll strengthen the statement to: "There is no legitimate reason for noise suppressors to be regulated!"
    Period. Explanation mark!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Might these threads be merged?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Period. Explanation mark!
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Protection-Act

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    --clipped-- Might these threads be merged?
    Just did so and adapted the title to better fit both.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The current regs are so onerous that even suppressors for air rifles fall under the same rules. In the air rifle world, sometimes they are referred to as LDCs (lead dust collectors).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Physically yes, legally no...you pistol would still have the same length (unless you welded it on).

In respect to the law...I cannot support it ..... as supporting it would acknowledge that they can regulate ... which I do not support.

Two ways ways (but not only) to address illegal laws that never could have been passed is through:
    1) Jury nullification
    2) Law enforcement just never enforces the illegal law

Court opinions? Who cares .. public officials cannot vote on my natural rights one way or the other.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-13-2015 at 10:00 AM.

A suppressor seems quite contrary to the idea of a self-defense pistol. I won't fire until I am in extremis and an unsuppressed report is better than calling out 'help help call 911.'

A suppressor seems quite contrary to the idea of a self-defense pistol. I won't fire until I am in extremis and an unsuppressed report is better than calling out 'help help call 911.'
    Have you ever fired your pistol in a house? One shot could result in permanent hearing loss for you, your spouse, or your child. But the bigger point is that there is probably no compelling public interest to regulate suppressors and there should never be a law that is not based on a compelling need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have practiced in a shoot-house. I have never worn eye or hearing protection. If I were to fire in the presence of a loved one, deafness would be the least risk.

I did not mention regulation and resent your tagging a hypothetical to my response.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    Have you ever fired your pistol in a house? One shot could result in permanent hearing loss for you, your spouse, or your child. But the bigger point is that there is probably no compelling public interest to regulate suppressors and there should never be a law that is not based on a compelling need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It can make a .22 somewhat quite ... but its not like in the movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2NeBWYeZLM

^^ one for the ol' oil filter suppressor. Technically, in this suppressor design every time you change the filter would require a new suppressor tax.

But if you made the design so that an exterior holder for the filter is used, making the filter disposable part of the suppressor I would wonder if the disposable part being replaced would then require a new tax to be paid is a question.
    Any thoughts?

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haeYj82a9f4

^^^ I would want the police helicopter accessory ! And the loudener !

"Bloodbath and Beyond" ... LOL

See the Rebel flag LOL ....
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-13-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Banned
    I have practiced in a shoot-house. I have never worn eye or hearing protection. If I were to fire in the presence of a loved one, deafness would be the least risk.

I did not mention regulation and resent your tagging a hypothetical to my response.
    Well, you can sleep with these in ...

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1aD2iI...-Protector.jpg

Attachment 12842

Just have some light to wake you to intruders (or the wifey poking up awake) .. then pew pew pew away while protecting your hearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast