• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no no guns signs at ABC

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've been looking for no guns signs at state buildings and not finding any. I stopped in an ABC store and asked...while open carrying...they didn't even know about the executive order, said it was stupid and until otherwise ordered, open carry was welcome.

wrearick

there was something in the fine print about rules/policy coming out in 30 days to address the implementation of the EO. Until they are published there is no standard to violate. (in my opinion)

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
It's probably a fair assumption that most ABC stores are leased property and not government owned facilities.

Even though the ABC store may be in rental property, inside the store is controlled by the state gov! Until the Legislature makes it illegal for state executive branch agencies to ban carry they can. :cry:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's probably a fair assumption that most ABC stores are leased property and not government owned facilities.
They are still government facilities (offices, buildings or otherwise places of government business) whether they are leased or owned.

va_tazdad

Of the 300+ stores, the ABC actually owns maybe 10 pieces of property. All the rest are leased. That said, they are still under the control and operation of the ABC. Their rules apply. "Owned or controlled" applies.

Currently, there is no "rule" against OC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Currently, there is no "rule" against OC.

As of the publication of EO 50 there is a rule.

That the administration and employees of ABC (and probably most other executive branch facilities) are unaware of the EO and its contents is just a monumental example of the efficiency of the current administration.

VI.
Banning Firearms in State Government Buildings

We must take every precaution to protect our citizens and state employees from gun violence. We cannot wait until a tragedy occurs to decide to address it.
Prevention requires us to address areas of concern before they are realized. Accordingly, I hereby declare that it is the policy of the Commonwealth that open carry of firearms shall be prohibited in offices occupied by executive branch agencies, unless held by law enforcement, authorized security, or military personnel authorized to carry firearms in accordance with their duties.
Within 30 days of the date of this Executive Order, the Director of the Department of General Services (DGS) shall issue guidance prohibiting carrying weapons openly in offices occupied by executive branch agencies. I further order the Director of DGS, within 30 days of the date of this Executive Order, to
propose regulations to ban the carrying of concealed weapons in offices occupied by executive branch agencies, unless held by law enforcement, authorized security, or military personnel authorized to carry firearms in accordance with their duties.

The policy prohibiting OC was effective on publication. That it will take as much as 30 days for the Director of DGS to go through an emergency purchasing procedure or government printing to get signs to put up is not relevant. An on-the-ball ABC agent or State Police trooper could make someone's life hell now.

stay safe

va_tazdad

As of the publication of EO 50 there is a rule.

That the administration and employees of ABC (and probably most other executive branch facilities) are unaware of the EO and its contents is just a monumental example of the efficiency of the current administration.

The policy prohibiting OC was effective on publication. That it will take as much as 30 days for the Director of DGS to go through an emergency purchasing procedure or government printing to get signs to put up is not relevant. An on-the-ball ABC agent or State Police trooper could make someone's life hell now.

stay safe

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Oh wait, you were serious? Do they have any, or have they all retired?

altajava

I was just in my local ABC, doesn't appear word has been sent down. The guy that runs it was more concerned about giving my dog a treat. I know this will be asked so I will elaborate, I used to tie the dog up outside, he witnessed this one day, said he is welcome too, even keeps a box of treats at his cost for the occasion. Lots of dog owners in that neighborhood and a pet store two doors over.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think the governor is gonna have a little trouble getting full compliance. At one of the ABC stores I visit, at least one of the staff seemed very interested in armed self-defense, a subject arising from my OC.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I would be surprised to see any signage at the ABC Stores, however the nine regional ABC offices may be a different issue, but I have never been in one of those. The ABC Stores are explicitly referred to as "government stores" in the Code of Virginia. I have not found a reference to the stores as offices in the Code of VA.

The regional office for the general Lynchburg area is near to the ABC Store on Timberlake Rd, however, it is a completely separate building and location from the store itself. I cannot say for certain that this would be the case for all of the other regions, but in this case, the store is separate from the office.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Parsing "stores" vs "offices" is an easy way to find yourself supporting the wrong conclusion. Do you know of anywhere besides a "government store" that offers distilled spirits for retail sale? And if there was such a beast it would not - by definition - be an ABC store, would it?

Do all y'all remember the parsing and slicing and pinhead balancing of "government facility" and "office"we went through with OC in National Parks, and which parts would be off limits? And then how the determination was made if we could or could not carry in which parts? I'm seriously looking for similar "guidance" to come down about executive branch offices as opposed to executive branch anything-that's-not-an-office.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Parsing "stores" vs "offices" is an easy way to find yourself supporting the wrong conclusion. Do you know of anywhere besides a "government store" that offers distilled spirits for retail sale? And if there was such a beast it would not - by definition - be an ABC store, would it?

Do all y'all remember the parsing and slicing and pinhead balancing of "government facility" and "office"we went through with OC in National Parks, and which parts would be off limits? And then how the determination was made if we could or could not carry in which parts? I'm seriously looking for similar "guidance" to come down about executive branch offices as opposed to executive branch anything-that's-not-an-office.

stay safe.
A government "orifice" might be more appropriate. Fits the situation and the giver of executive orders quite well me thinks.