• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CJ 00848 did it pass?

notalawyer

Just wondering if anyone knows if CJ 00848 passed. any info is greatly appreciated!

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2016/0300/Amendment/201112/PDF

You are referring to Senate Bill 300 (the Open Carry + other important stuff bill). It passed the Criminal Justice committee where they added some language to reference to 790.06 - making open carry subject to the same provisions as concealed carry and a reference to 790.10, our Improper Display (brandishing) statute.

It has two more committee hearings to go through before going to the whole Senate - which won't happen until February or March.

The amendment you linked to has been Temporarily Postponed.

SSeymour

Thank you for your reply! The reason I am concerned is because this amendment can be altered to make signs hold force of law (which Florida does not do at the moment). If that happens it would definitely alter my support for this bill.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Thank you for your reply! The reason I am concerned is because this amendment can be altered to make signs hold force of law (which Florida does not do at the moment). If that happens it would definitely alter my support for this bill.
I've mentioned elsewhere that the only way to get out in front of this problem is to call it what it is; conversion of property rights into the power to persecute and imprison political opponents.

Nothing in the bill, as it is, diminishes anyone's property rights. They're pretending it does as an excuse to get the foot in the door for creating a force of law on signs for the use stated above.

Gotta outflank them by exposing it.