• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November Elections - I'm Screwed

grylnsmn

I have the misfortune of living in the 35th Senate District. On November 3, my options on the ballot are:

Dick Saslaw (D) - Do I really need to say more than that? We're all familiar with Dick's long history.
Terry Modglin (IG) - From his website:
Don’t Bring Your Gun to Town, Son!

The Commonwealth should, without infringing on citizen rights to have a firearm for self defense in the home, use a number of tools to limit the presence and use of firearms, particularly by criminals, those with a propensity to violence, and/or youth. Such tools include a range of actions from regulation of all sales to longer prison sentences for using a gun in a crime to mandatory background checks on all purchasers of firearms, no matter where or how they purchased their weapons. Virginia needs to ensure that it effectively collaborates with other states and with Federal authorities to halt such threats as interstate gangs, firearms smuggling, armed criminal gangs (including drug cartels and sales forces) and illegal firearms sales.

All licensed or non-licensed firearm dealers should conduct a national instant criminal background check prior to any firearm sales or transfers, including the sales or transfers of any firearm at a gun show. Appropriate penalties should apply for violations.

A person should be held civilly liable for injury to a person or property of another or for unlawful death resulting from the use of a firearm in the commission of a crime, if it can be shown by clear evidence that the firearm came into possession of the offender because of the failure of the gun owner to effectively secure the firearm from theft or unauthorized possession.

Virginia residents should not be able to buy ammunition online nor should it be lawful for Virginia-based firearms dealers to sell online. Ammunition ordered over the Internet should be delivered in a face-to-face transaction with a firearms dealer. The purchaser should go through a background check prior to acquiring the ammunition.

The circumstances in which firearms may be owned and held vary greatly from one local Virginia jurisdiction to another. The governing body of any county or chartered city should have the authority to adopt local ordinances regulating the sale of firearms and ammunition in their localities.

It should be unlawful to carry firearms into a local public meeting, except for law enforcement officers and/or qualified, registered armed security personnel whose duty it is to protect participants at the meeting as determined by the local government. Open carrying at these meetings by private citizens is intended to and simply intimidates the public, wastes law enforcement resources, and increases the risk of injury and death due to the accidental or intentional use of firearms.

The technology of smartguns is a major development that has the potential to drastically reduce the number of homicides and accidents in our society. Virginia should be a leader in encouraging this technology, not allow threats to gunshop owners who want to sell smartguns.
I'm strongly tempted to vote for Modglin simply to vote against Saslaw, but I'm not sure that I can vote for someone that has such anti-gun positions.

Thoughts?

The Wolfhound

Oh my, some choice.....

Since Saslaw is a given, the other guy is just a protest vote. Do you guess it is in the water up there? There has to be a source for this kind of derangement. Who would have thought that Dickie Saslaw could ever be the lesser of two evils :banghead:
Sympathies on the loss of your rights are extended.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
+1 to Marco's idea

Heck, I got three votes for State Delegate in 2007 <grin> against an anti.

I do feel your pain. I'm in the 44th House, which has ONE candidate, an anti, and the 30th Senate, which has an anti and an Independent Green. Don't know about your area, but here the IGs put names on the ballot, but that's all. They don't fundraise, they don't door knock, they don't advertise, they don't have web sites. There is no way to learn about them. (When the Republicans do run in this district, they do roughly the same, unfortunately; they seem to have given up o the area)

TFred

Since there are no "qualified" or "unqualified" write-ins (they can't stop you from writing in whatever you want) my advice, don't waste a vote on yourself or Mickey Mouse... pick an OBVIOUSLY Pro-Gun name, like PVC, or Richard Heller, or Charlton Heston... They never get reported, but someone looks at them.

ETA: Of all people who might actually see the list of those names, just imagine the heartburn it would give Saslaw if he found out a dozen or two people wrote in Philp Van Cleave!!! Just the thought of that scowl on his face makes me laugh.

JMHO.

TFred

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Whoever heads the Republican Party in Virginia

Should be drummed out with extreme prejudice. No seat no matter how unlikely should ever be seeded to the opposing party. The balance is too precarious. Find a candidate.

grylnsmn

Well, my hatred for Saslaw won out, and Modglin got my vote (with nose held firmly). Sadly, it makes no difference.

On the brighter side, the Washington (com)Post has called 19 Senate raced for the Republicans, 13 for the Democrats, and 8 still up in the air. In the 10th Senate, Bloomberg's lackey is down by 1500 votes, with 96% of precincts reporting. Republicans are up in 3 of the remaining races to be called (including the 10th), so there's a good chance that Bloomberg wasted his money this time around.

UPDATE: With 66 of 67 precincts reporting, Sturtevent is up by 1600 votes and has been projected as the winner. That gives the Republicans 20 seats. One more, and the Senate is safe from takeover.

Last edited:

TFred

Should be drummed out with extreme prejudice. No seat no matter how unlikely should ever be seeded to the opposing party. The balance is too precarious. Find a candidate.
Yet again folks: BIG PICTURE!!!

I would FAR rather the Republicans channel money from races they cannot win to races that they MIGHT win, if given sufficient resources.

It's no wonder the gun-haters have advanced so far in our society. Too many people simply do not know how to win the BIG PICTURE.

Catch up. Our very way of life depends on it.

TFred

scooter348

Yet again folks: BIG PICTURE!!!

I would FAR rather the Republicans channel money from races they cannot win to races that they MIGHT win, if given sufficient resources.

It's no wonder the gun-haters have advanced so far in our society. Too many people simply do not know how to win the BIG PICTURE.

Catch up. Our very way of life depends on it.

TFred

But if the Republicans found a candidate to run against the Democrat, wouldn't that force the Democrats to funnel money to their candidate and away from other races too? I understand the big picture in this case, but it just rubs me the wrong way to concede a race without a fight. Just sayin'.

TFred

But if the Republicans found a candidate to run against the Democrat, wouldn't that force the Democrats to funnel money to their candidate and away from other races too? I understand the big picture in this case, but it just rubs me the wrong way to concede a race without a fight. Just sayin'.
No! That is the POINT!!

If you run against a Saslaw or a McEachin, no amount of money you spend will affect the outcome, even if they don't spend a dime. But it DOES cost a certain minimum amount of money to field a candidate against them.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No! That is the POINT!!

If you run against a Saslaw or a McEachin, no amount of money you spend will affect the outcome, even if they don't spend a dime. But it DOES cost a certain minimum amount of money to field a candidate against them.

TFred
Saslaw lost his seat of power when the senate tipped in favor of the R's. Went from majority leader to minority.

More money and effort into electing friends would have given us a veto proof senate. Worthy goal.

TFred

Saslaw lost his seat of power when the senate tipped in favor of the R's. Went from majority leader to minority.

More money and effort into electing friends would have given us a veto proof senate. Worthy goal.
Apples and oranges. Of course a veto-proof Senate is desirable. But if you had taken 10% of the money used to elect Sturtevant, to waste for a candidate running against a McEachin, then what happens? You not only lose to McEachin, you ALSO lose Sturtevant, and the Senate is back to the Democrats.

This is not rocket science folks.

TFred

The Wolfhound

I acknowledge your point has merit, but...

When there is no candidate in the bigger elections, smaller ones can get burned. I have not run the numbers yet bit believe the Henrico Commonwealth's Attorney race went Dem because there were no candidates against the Dems in House and Senate in the Eastern part of the county. Republican-ish voters had no motivation to get up and vote and the Commonwealth's Attorney was reelected as a result. A different interpretation of the Big Picture.