• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Victim and criminal both dead in attempted home invasion

utbagpiper

Banned
KSL is reporting on an attempted home invasion that resulted in the death of both the home invader and the home owner.

It appears the home owner was armed and prepared to defend himself and his family from the attempted home invasion. But he chose to chase the criminal down the street and was shot and killed.

A stark and tragic reminder to avoid leaving a defensible position in an attempt to engage a criminal once the immediate danger has passed.

My condolences to the victim's family and friends.

Not surprising, the criminal has a long record including a felony that makes him a prohibited person in illegal possession of a firearm, while illegally attempting to invade an occupied home. At least he won't be victimizing anyone else.

Charles

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So the homeowner went from a castle doctrine/stand your ground situation into attempted if not in fact premeditated murder.

Ego. It's the only thing I can think of that would cause one to do that.

stay safe.

utbagpiper

Banned
So the homeowner went from a castle doctrine/stand your ground situation into attempted if not in fact premeditated murder.

Ego. It's the only thing I can think of that would cause one to do that.

Updates to the story suggest that as the homeowner chased the criminal, the criminal turned and fired the shot that killed the homeowner. The homeowner then returned fire, striking and killing the criminal.

No doubt, big mistake to leave the safety of the home to pursue a criminal. But what causes it?

Maybe ego. Maybe a combination of anger and fear, with the fear feeding into more anger. Maybe a sincere, but misguided, belief that there was a compelling need to stop the criminal before police could arrive.

2:00 am, attempted home invasion waking a man from a dead sleep. Who knows what might have been said at the door. What is the natural reaction if the criminal sees your gun in hand, turns to leave, but first says something like, "Don't close your eyes. I'll be back." Or perhaps, "You can't guard the door forever. I'll be back for the wife and daughter." Or even, "Granny Smith next door won't put up much of a fight." I have no idea. Absolute speculation on my part as to whether anything was said.

My only point is to consider on what I can learn. I think that is far more valuable than condemning the homeowner, or thinking I'm immune to ever making a similar mistake.

I had an interesting day yesterday after reading this story in the media first thing in the morning. During my workday, two co-workers independently came to talk to me about this shooting.

One is distantly acquainted with the homeowner via some church service.

The other is close friends with the family of the criminal. While freely acknowledging that the criminal was a bad guy with a host of past and current bad decisions, he is mourning with his friends who are very good and decent people. Seems the criminal was estranged from his family for a time and only recently was persuaded to move back in.

I have no doubt that his parents were hoping, praying, and working for that day their son would get his act together, overcome his past problems, and live a life they could be proud of. However predictable and even justified his death may have been as a result of such a violent criminal action, for these parents and the rest of that family, that hoped for day, the miracle change, is now never coming. The prodigal son will not be returning.

Just a few houses a way, a good and decent man, a husband and father leaves behind a wife and children.

It is events like this that cause me to once again remind myself to avoid escalation, not to let pride or anger or even a sense of justice drive me to dangerous actions needlessly, not to give chase once the danger has passed. As I noted above, any number of events might have seemed to justify giving chase in the heat of the moment.

But in the clarity of day, it is clear that I--and many others--am not equipped to safely give chase over any of these reasons. It is in the clarity of day I remind myself so that I might avoid a bad decision in the heat of the moment.

I'm also reminded that even a fatal wound from a shotgun, at close range, is no guarantee that an assailant won't be able to continue to fight long enough to inflict grave injury.

I sincerely hope the tragedy is not further compounded by the financial stresses likely imposed if the homeowner does not have appropriate life insurance.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Updated story

Additional details have been released about this event today and are reported at the KSL website.

As reported, the story is quite different than we might have surmised at first. Full details at link above, but a short synopsis here.

The homeowner and his family were awakened by pounding on the door, but when they went to investigate, nobody was there. During a second search of the yard, the criminal walked toward the homeowner while concealing the saw-off shotgun, two large butcher knives, and a smaller knife. The homeowner confronted the criminal who walked away. Homeowner followed shining a flashlight on the criminal whom he did not realize was armed. When the homeowner told the criminal he knew who he was, the criminal turned and shot the homeowner with the shotgun. Homeowner returned 4 shots, 1 of which hit the suspect, 2 went through clothing but missed the body, and 1 missed entirely.

Recent burglaries in the area had the homeowner concerned for his neighbors which motivated him to follow the criminal.

I suspect that not knowing the criminal was armed, while being armed himself may have given the homeowner a false sense of security in following the criminal.

As reported today, I see nothing criminal in the homeowner's conduct. His conduct was, however, a clear tactical mistake.

My condolences to his family and the large number of local youth to whom he provided service in his church congregation.

Charles

solus

uh, no, no... he didn't do anything criminal or wayward ~ except: with deliberate and premeditated actions, Russell Jacobs made a stupid decision where he decided to play policeman to hunt down the BG. those actions and those alone claimed his life and brought sorrow to his family...

the rational over concern for the neighbourhood is BS and just a 'feel good' excuse for the family & friends to rationalize their husband/father/friend/neighbour who lost his life needlessly over a screwed up decision.

the neighbourhood and specifically the family is lucky nobody else was injured or died in the Millcreek shootout from this individual's stupid decision!!

the media spin being given to this tragic story is enthralling...

ipse