• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can i open carry if i had a DVO 10 years ago in Kentucky?

anonymous311

Is it legal to have a gun or open carry if i had a DVO 10 years ago? I havent been in any trouble sense or before that. thanks in advance.

anonymous311

Do you have any paperwork stating that the DVO was terminated and when? Were you convicted of any crime related to the event where the DVO was issued?

Only thing i can find is i had a DVO in 2003. I don't remember a lot about it cause i was just of age and had no clue what was going on cause i never even been in court. The county attorney in my town said we was able to meet to exchange our child and we both agreed and he didn't know that we had to meet in another county about 2 hours away even though i had it in writing with the court the other county didnt care because the DVO was valid for 3 years. i was arrested and spent 2 days in jail for violation of DVO. I was scared and plead guilty to time served and i shouldn't of done that looking back now. Later on about 2 years later i was trying to get custody of our child and they did a background check on me for the child custody and what come up was a seat belt ticket and a violation of DVO nothing else. Fast forward almost 13 years later about a week ago someone tried to break into my house and i startled them and they took off running. I have no way of protecting my wife and 2 kids because i dont know if im allowed to own a gun.

I have never been arrested for ANYTHING other then my ex wife. Also just to throw this out there my ex lost custody of our child and she hasnt seen our daughter but a couple times in 8 years i have custody of her. She was so bad the judge gave her only supervised visitation and she just quit coming to see her. She has been arrested for theft 3 times, 1 arrest for bad checks, 1 arrest for custodial interference and and had 3 failed marriages and all her ex's had DVO's against them including me. To be honest shes been on drugs so much and i havent seen her for years until recently in a store and i didnt even know who she was.

here is a link to some into i found i just was wanting to know for sure cause i didnt want to get in trouble.
http://smartgunlaws.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-in-kentucky/