• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlottesville Open Carry

ineedshoes

I have been OCing in Charlottesville regularly the last few months. I have not seen anyone else, but I know there are others out there. My story is from last weekend.

I picked my daughter up from UVA (I had no idea it was parents' weekend) and went apple picking at Carter Mountain. Then we came back and walked around the Downtown Mall for a little while until it was time to meet extended family for a birthday celebration at the Downtown Grille, with a final stop at the Mudhouse. The hostess at the DG appeared a little surprised. I received the usual incredulous question from one family member about bringing "that in here", but he admitted to its potential utility as we were leaving when I asked if he wanted to borrow it for his trip back to the parking deck at night.

You might otherwise see me at Sam's Club or Trader Joe's late in the day during the week, and occasionally the ABC store.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Real friends do not loan their handguns to friends (or relatives) who have chosen not to take charge of their own self defense.

stay safe.

The Truth

Real friends do not loan their handguns to friends (or relatives) who have chosen not to take charge of their own self defense.

stay safe.

...unless said friend or relative is responsible for the life of one's offspring...I think that's the exception.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
...unless said friend or relative is responsible for the life of one's offspring...I think that's the exception.

Real parents do not put their offspring in situations where the life/safety of said offspring is jeopardized.

Real parents, however, will sometimes discuss the need for and means of providing for not only the safety of said offspring but said relative/friend as well.

We can play this game all week but the long and short of it is that we really should stop being looked at as everybody's personal Safety Patrol.

stay safe.

wrearick

I have been OCing in Charlottesville regularly the last few months. I have not seen anyone else, but I know there are others out there. My story is from last weekend.

I picked my daughter up from UVA (I had no idea it was parents' weekend) and went apple picking at Carter Mountain. Then we came back and walked around the Downtown Mall for a little while until it was time to meet extended family for a birthday celebration at the Downtown Grille, with a final stop at the Mudhouse. The hostess at the DG appeared a little surprised. I received the usual incredulous question from one family member about bringing "that in here", but he admitted to its potential utility as we were leaving when I asked if he wanted to borrow it for his trip back to the parking deck at night.

You might otherwise see me at Sam's Club or Trader Joe's late in the day during the week, and occasionally the ABC store.

I was in the area, open carrying last weekend. Our camping club was at Misty Mountain, and wife and I got apples from Henley's farm as well as visited 3 of the local wineries.

Lyndsy Simon

I've been OCing in Charlottesville for about two and a half years now, multiple times per week, with no significant issues.

The only establishment I've been asked to leave was Citizen Burger on the Mall.