• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transfer of ownership for FULL AUTO UZI?

stewartde

A close relative recently passed away who owned a fully registered and stamped FULL AUTO UZI (and I think there was a suppressor as well)
They want to stay 100% legal - but need some guidance.
They were told (by another family member) that the ONLY person that it can be legally sold to is a certified Gunshop.

However, I am interested in obtaining it myself, providing it's 100% legal to do so.
I already own other handguns and rifles and also have a PA Concealed Carry permit.

For my relative's spouse to be comfortable I'll need to bring them a printout of the law(s) and steps needed.
Can anyone help provide any guidance?
Thank you.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Unless there are some specific PA laws I don't know about, I recently went through this entire process for a friend.

One friend died and his sister was the executor of the estate. There may be a time limit involved, but it's long enough to do the whole process. The executor/heir can maintain legal possession throughout the entire transfer process. No dealer needs to be involved in an intrastate transfer unless the parties involved need a third party for storage or escrow or something.

The executor mails off the Form 4 paperwork with the buyer's info and registration fees. When it is returned with the stamp(s), the executor hands them over with the firearm(s).

If the heir is keeping it for themselves, it is a free transfer, but still must be done with paperwork during the time limit.

Here's the ATF letter that you probably need to start with: https://www.atf.gov/file/97596/download

Last edited:

stewartde

Thank you very much MAC702 for your reply.

Due to the "Other family member" I mentioned, she's very scared about selling to anyone other than the original GunShop where it was originally purchased.
I would need to convince her that everything is perfectly legal.

Might you have a link to that process online?
Or could you identify the organization which those Form 4's are going to - then I could research it directly from that organization?

Thank you again.

PS: Ohh, I see you just edited your post to include the link.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Unless there are some specific PA laws I don't know about.......................

Here's the ATF letter that you probably need to start with: https://www.atf.gov/file/97596/download

Excellent advice. A large number of the People are scared of the word "Machine gun". No worries. It is still just a gun and the only difference is extra paper and extra time. Good find on the Uzi, was it an Israeli marked weapon?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...she's very scared about selling to anyone other than the original GunShop where it was originally purchased...

If this gun shop gets wind that they have this negotiating leverage, she can expect to get ripped off royally.

That said, the gun certainly has value, and the executor would be wise in determining current market value ($5-10k probably) for the protection of the estate. A family member can certainly expect a discount, especially if they do all the legwork for determining a cost-saving transfer process.

This thread should serve as a reminder to all as to what happens with our firearms upon death. Who would be the executor of the estate, and would they have the knowledge, or ability to get it, to best ensure safe, legal, and responsible transfers that would agree with our wishes were we part of the process? This is one huge benefit to a Trust owning certain items, especially NFA firearms. A Trust can already have several members that can possess the items and already has a chain of heirs built in with no transfers (time and money) necessary.

Last edited:

stewartde

I keep getting "Error 522 Ray ID: 23e9dbac43e02402 ... Connection timed out" trying to reply here.

Anyways...
I talked with the Widow.

Apparently the "other family member" I mentioned had relentlessly pushed her to get rid of it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and he took her to a GunShop already.
She said he made her scared with concerns that her house might get broken into or worse.....
(This made me and the rest of the family very upset, she needs reasonable guidance now and not be driven by fear. We plan to have a talk with him.)
Anyway, the gunshop had someone waiting for an opportunity like this and they will be driving in next weekend to arrange the purchase.

I did previously mention the possible current sale prices of similar guns in the $6800-$12500 range. (Based off my other research.)
Due to the "other family member" scaring her, she said that she doesn't care if they take advantage, she just wants to get rid of it no matter the price.
In best interest to the widow, I will not push her about the issue (there has already been too much of that) and at the least she wont be scared any more.
I can only hope they don't rip her off. We'll see.

I'm very sorry, I'm unable to provide any more details about the gun.

Thank you all for your guidance.
Having that link was very very helpful.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like a Hoplophobe family member. The gun sat in the closet with no worries when he was alive, why is it more dangerous now?
This sale just went off a a 6K sale price.

http://www.pdhsc.com/class_iii2.htm

Item #17 UZI 9mm Submachine Gun underfolder
IMI - Israel Uzi Model B
Registered group Industries 9mm "01 Uzi" Bolt,
Threaded Barrel with
Thread Adapter for Suppressor or Flash Suppressor

Fully Transferable NOW on form 3 in NC

PRICE $ 7,900 SALE PRICE $5995 SOLD PENDING

solus

no xyz-phobe but rather greedy family member(s) using that as an excuse...

deaths cause strange manifestations in family relations.

ipse