Thread: open carry multiple states

open carry multiple states

As a general rule can you open carry in other open carry states without being a resident of that state? I assume it would be legal unless you have to have. Permit to carry in that state..in which case you'd have to have that states permit.for example when I go home to visits Florida from ohio cam I carry open in Kentucky Tennessee and Alabama? As an ohio resident with an ohio chl
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-24-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: fixed title

In Oklahoma if you are from another state and have a permit to carry you can carry open . Now if you are from a state that allows you to carry without a permit you can carry open as long as you have a current drivers license or ID . Sad that in Oklahoma we have to have a permit to carry but we allow people to carry without a permit from other states. Messed up huh.

Don't think there are ANY general rules about firearms when you cross state lines. At least I wouldn't make any assumptions!
    Last edited by Wstar425; 11-01-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Boils down to reciprocity and if the state allows open carry...... like in Florida, conceal only. Texas just got open carry so Texas was a conceal only state until recently. I refer to handgunlaw.us frequently when I travel. The NRA site is helpful also in states firearms laws. Go to the states .gov web site and see what is on their own site. Research will help keep you legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Boils down to reciprocity and if the state allows open carry...... like in Florida, conceal only. Texas just got open carry so Texas was a conceal only state until recently. I refer to handgunlaw.us frequently when I travel. The NRA site is helpful also in states firearms laws. Go to the states .gov web site and see what is on their own site. Research will help keep you legal.
    What about artical four section two?

Section. 2.The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.
    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    as i said in original post. open carry states ;therefor florida is obviously not up for duscussion

thanks for the discussions guys

In states which do not prohibit open carry, there would be nothing to charge a person with for doing so.

In states which prohibit but provide exceptions (issuing/recognizing certain licenses, permits, etc.) one must meet their exceptions.

Most states prohibit only concealing and most of those have exceptions, but there is a large variance in the way each state has crafted its laws.

Depends on the state, as do most things gun related....

Colorado- Open carry is constitutionally protected (except The Peoples Democratic Republic of Denver) and anyone can open carry, no permit required.

Wyoming- Open and concealed carry no permit required by statute for residents only, if not a resident you must have a permit from a state that recognizes Wyoming's permit.

There is no blanket rule.
    Last edited by F350; 11-22-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks guys. Didn't ask for blanket rule either. Just an academic discussion.