Thread: For US, the believers, a candle on All Saints Day for victims of political conspiracy

For US, the believers, a candle on All Saints Day for victims of political conspiracy

I just finished Scorpion Down: Sunk by the Soviets, Buried by the Pentagon (Basic 2007) by Ed Offley.

It was pleasant to read a gripping book, that I couldn't put down, within 48 hours of getting it (rather than my usual two pages per sitting intellectual stuff).

The book was disturbing for collecting most of the rumors of my career and validating them.

The Fiftieth Anniversary of the event approaches, and it will be interesting to see what revelations may be unsealed then.

The spoiler of the book is that the US and the Soviets mutually promised to never again address the events.

With that fresh in my mind, and being reminded daily of the Benghazi Conspiracy, I lit an All Saints Day candle for the victims of political conspiracy.

http://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-Down-.../dp/0465051855
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-02-2015 at 06:58 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I just finished Scorpion Down: Sunk by the Soviets, Buried by the Pentagon (Basic 2007) by Ed Offley.

It was pleasant to read a gripping book, that I couldn't put down, within 48 hours of getting it (rather than my usual two pages per sitting intellectual stuff).

The book was disturbing for collecting most of the rumors of my career and validating them.

The Fiftieth Anniversary of the event approaches, and it will be interesting to see what revelations may be unsealed then.

The spoiler of the book is that the US and the Soviets mutually promised to never again address the events.

With that fresh in my mind, and being reminded daily of the Benghazi Conspiracy, I lit an All Saints Day candle for the victims of political conspiracy.

http://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-Down-.../dp/0465051855
    I forget, was it the Thresher or Skipjack where the official story held the crew left a valve open?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I forget, was it the Thresher or Skipjack where the official story held the crew left a valve open?
    Neither that I know.

USS Skipjack SSN-585 was decommissioned in 1990 and scrapped in 1998. I don't recall any adverse event. USS Bonefish SS-582 had a fire and TV reports confused the two very different vessels.

USS Thresher SSN-593 was doomed for many reasons, procedural and design. The immediate cause, I believe, is trash screens in the emergency blow piping clogging with frozen condensate. Procedure then prevented use of reactor plant heat after a protective SCRAM, heat that could have driven the boat shallow enough to allow the EMBT blow to be effective.

As bull throttleman on my boat, I would'a sucked the plant to ice cubes.

http://archive.navytimes.com/article...-sank-Thresher

We will never know what happened. HGR was right on the mark.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    http://archive.navytimes.com/article...-sank-Thresher We will never know what happened. HGR was right on the mark.
    Knock on wood; there have been no boats lost, or even significant material casualties reported since SubSafe was instituted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUBSAFE

Not long after Thresher, Rickover visited my shipyard - before my time - and noticed a huge, yard high letters, ZERO DEFECTS on the side of a building. Stating that there was no such thing among men, he started firing and didn't stop until he had weeded that idea out of management. The defect reporting/correction program was burdensome and effective.

As an electrician I chafed at the mountain of paperwork and back-and-forth time it took to correct the tiniest problem. A foreman told me that "no system can work unless it is used."

i find it intriguing the military services and others, e.g., automakers, etc., have re-boxed the Deming, Juran, ISO mgmt, CMMI, Appendix B to part 50, ad nauseam style concept(s) as a unique platform to institute 'quality' into their products/services. then touted the same as their specific brand of assuring quality assurance into their product/service. tho it does drive the project's cost up as 'quality' activities per se are not billable to the customer and therefore an overhead expense for the organization.

when LM tried to bill it's rich uncle same for their ISO development, implementation, and surveillance activities on their subs, the nice uncle said it is a cost of doing business with us and suck it up...so LM did and just bid their cost for services/products 15% higher and life went on as normal. btw, LM wouldn't allow their subs to do the same trick when they responded to RFPs.

my pappy used to say: if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it over?

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 11-03-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain